NON-Diabetic Given 5 Units Vetsulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Elizabeth and Bertie, Jul 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Let's use this one. I requested mine be deleted.

3. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Sorry Yong and Eliz for confusion - I saw you were online Eliz and asked you, then saw Yong was a minute later!

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

No worries, just want to get this kitty's Bg up :)

Or to an ER vet. Meant to say get BG up so he can get to a Vet but I clicked somewhere else than posted :facepalm:

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mess around trying to handle this at home. This kitty should be at a vet clinic NOW . That's a huge dose of Vetsulin, even for a diabetic.

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Tried deleting mine but I can't. I think it's because it's had replies, but not sure..

7. Diana&Tom

Exactly. Whoever is on the board at the moment, there is no substitute for professional emergency care in a situation like this.

8. Diana&Tom

I wonder if we should ask where she lives so we could start a thread asking if other members live in the area and could help her....?

9. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

There is no margin for error in this case. A non-diabetic kitty getting that dose of Vetsulin is an emergency situation and should not be treated at home. With the vet being further away there is no time to wait for seizures to start before heading to the vet...it will be too late then.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  10. Tuxedo Mom

Also since he is not a diabetic, even if the numbers can be raised, his body's natural regulatory system will cause the pancreas to produce more endogenous insulin (natural insulin the body produces) in order to bring the levels down. So you can be dealing with both endogenous insulin and exogenous insulin (injected insulin)

11. Diana&Tom

Yes I meant I wondered if someone might be local and could take her and kitty to a vet... but the idea is probably just wishful thinking :-(

Yong & Maury GA and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  12. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Has there been any update? I really hope she got kitty to the vet ASAP. Prayers sent.

13. Tuxedo Mom

14. Elizabeth and Bertie

She has considered that cat may need IV dextrose and says she's found vet that can help. Really hope she's on her way...

jayla-n-Drevon and Tuxedo Mom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.