Not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Victoria & Buttons, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victoria & Buttons

Victoria & Buttons Member

Buttons has been on Prozinc for quite a bit now but I still cant seem to get her numbers stable. Shes now at the point shes losing weight again and is very frail. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be considering changing her insulin?

I will be trying to get another curve today. My daughter broke my last meter.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hi Victoria and Buttons, :bighug:
    So just curious, did Buttons ever go into a remission? Or has she bee on insulin since 2012? How long has she been on Prozinc? What meter are you using?
    If you can update your Signature with some of those questions, they'll be less likely repeated :D: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

Hard to say if you should change insulin without more data on her BG numbers. We would be glad to help you out with her dosing and finding patterns since you are home testing.:cat: Oh, are you testing for ketones? How is her she acting, otherwise? Sorry more questions :smuggrin:

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Definitely get a curve today.... More readings are necessary if you want dosing advice.

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...the numbers you've gotten on the SS so far are very interesting. That blue you got a few days ago makes me wondering if you're seeing bouncing, and it just takes awhile to clear the bounce (it can take some kitties longer than others). That +3 you got today supports that theory, but of course there's no way to be sure just yet.

The questions Yong asked above will definitely help us help you. I wouldn't think about changing insulin JUST yet...Lantus and Levemir are both great (and I see you've been on Lev before) but I would give Prozinc a good try first and then you can switch if needed later. Heck, you already paid for the Prozinc! ;)

I do think as you get some more mi-cycle numbers we can help. I'd be very interested to see how low she dips today.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  5. Victoria & Buttons

All updated. She has been on insulin since 2012 and no remission unfortunately. We were started on Caninsulin and I switched her to Levemir with research. The vet changed her to Prozinc last year. So it may be a year shes been on it? I just find that I cant keep her numbers lower with Prozinc. I am using the Breeze2 meter.
    Ill try and test for ketones tonight. She has been acting more slothish or stoned which i just contributed to high sugar levels.

6. JanetNJ

What does she eat?

Pat & Phil likes this.
  7. Victoria & Buttons

FF turkey and giblets and chopped grill

8. Victoria & Buttons

do you think its best to up her dose the way her numbers are looking?

9. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Based on her numbers, I would think yes, but why did you reduce her dose tonight? Is there something going on that led to that?

10. Victoria & Buttons

Like I noted. The PM numbers was actually +6 from her AM numbers so thats why there was a reduced dose

11. JanetNJ

I would definitely move to 2 units.

12. JanetNJ

Can you add to your signature what type of food you feed?

13. Djamila

I'm not quite sure I understand. So the 459 wasn't really the PMPS, it was the AM +6?

14. Victoria & Buttons

Yes, exactly. With it being that high at +6, I figured I gave a fur shot so gave her some more insulin. Her numbers this morning now confuse me though haha. Still go to 2 units?

15. Yong & Maury GA

We don't recommend doing this because it throws off the cycle. Just make a note in U section as FS (fur shot) and wait until next shot time. We've all given those dreaded fur shots :bighug:

For now, move the 459 to the correct +6 and next to it in +7 put dose. I would not increase to 2.0U until you get her back on schedule and when you increase, go to 1.75U. Remember, insulin is a hormone, not a medication that acts right away. Can't just give it to her and a random time, the schedule is important :)

16. Djamila

Yes to what Yong explained. It's very important to keep the insulin at a 12 hour schedule. Hormones behave differently than medications, and act on many functions of the body, so changing the dosing and timing can have some negative effects on your kitty.

Please do correct the spreadsheet so we can see that the 459 was +6, not +12. Having the spreadsheet be an accurate reflection of the timing and doses is important in being able to give you accurate information so you can help Buttons feel better.

17. Victoria & Buttons

Hey, just checking in. Her numbers are still so high. I did one 1.75 units and it seemed her numbers went higher the next day, not sure if thats normal. Either way this morning I gave 2 units and ill do a curve before work.

Djamila likes this.
  18. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This takes so much patience. It would help a lot if you could get mid cycle data at least once a week. Without that it's hard to know what's going on.

Victoria & Buttons likes this.
  19. JanetNJ

You need a lot more mid cycle numbers. There's no way of knowing how effective a dose is without knowing how low it's going.

20. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I do believe we can help you figure out what's going on. Any mid cycle data you can get would help...even if that was a nadir just once or twice a week and then a +2 or +3 test in the evenings!

21. Djamila

Were you able to do the curve? How did it go?

22. Victoria & Buttons

I didnt get a curve that I wanted, only nadir. Its left me more confused today and yesterday. Either Im really sucking and doing fur shots, or is it possible the vile of Prozinc is off? It doesnt expire until November but I was looking at it today and it had white crystals in it. Is that normal? I feel bad because Im not helping her feel better :(

23. Yong & Maury GA

Where are you giving the shot? Can you take a picture of the insulin? I'm pretty sure it should not have actual crystals. How do you store it? When you first get it out, should be more clear on top and cloudier on the bottom. This is why we gently roll it between our hands before drawing dose.

24. Victoria & Buttons

I store it on the top shelf in the fridge, not the door. I give it to her in the skin between her back leg and belly.

Attached Files:

25. Djamila

I've heard if there are floaties that the insulin has gone bad, but I don't have any experience with that myself. Maybe call your vet and see what s/he says?

26. Yong & Maury GA

After seeing the pictures, I agree with Djamila. Neither of mine have looked like that. How long have you had it?

27. Kris & Teasel

If those are clumps in the bottom of the vial in the second photo they shouldn't be there. ProZinc looks milky white and translucent throughout when properly mixed, no clumps.

28. Victoria & Buttons

Im feeling a bit overwhelmed. I cant get her numbers down at all and I dont know what Im doing wrong. Do I do a lower dose or a higher dose? Im scared she'll go too low when Im not here. Does this mean this insulin isnt working? Am I doing something wrong? Help :(

p.s. I did get her a new bottle of insulin

29. Djamila

Hi Victoria! I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling overwhelmed. In order to get Buttons' numbers down, there are a few things you're going to need to do.

First, please read the stickies at the top of the Prozinc forum to educate yourself about how this insulin works and how we recommend dosing. The more you know and understand, the better you'll be able to help your kitty. As you read, make note of any questions you have and ask them. We are happy to help clarify.

Second, you need to get mid-cycle tests whenever you can. That includes during the evening cycle. You're testing before each shot which is great, so keep doing that. But in order to know if a dose is working, we need to see those mid-cycle numbers too. You've done a few which is helpful, so keep it up, and start getting a before-bed test each night as well. There is often a difference between the daytime numbers and the nighttime numbers.

Third, we recommend moving the dose based on data, in a relatively systematic way. Right now it looks like you have bounced around a bit from 1.0 to 1.5 to 2.0. Moving the dose around like that can be hard on your kitty and also make it hard to figure out the right dose. It does look like Buttons is going to need more insulin, but in order to keep her safe, you need to be testing and only increase by 0.25 every three to six cycles - not just moving it around from cycle to cycle.

I would recommend getting a mid-cycle test today if you can, then get the pre-shot this evening and a before bed test. Stick with 2.0 for tonight (assuming you have a normal PMPS number) and post your numbers. Then tomorrow post again and we can start to help you find a better dose to bring those numbers down.

30. Victoria & Buttons

okay thank you so much!

31. Yong & Maury GA

You might also want to pick up some ketone test strips from a pharmacy. You'll want to keep an eye out for those with her still having higher PS numbers and we're not sure where she's going mid-cycle. If you get a reading above trace, you'll want to get her to a Vet soon after. :)

srk4cats and Djamila like this.
  32. Victoria & Buttons

I haven't updated her spreadsheet but I didn't give her insulin last night. Woke up tested her, she's 13.1, fed her and checked an hour later and she's up 25.6 then gave her insulin. It's confusing me so much

33. Kris & Teasel

Her dose has to come up in careful 0.25 u increments and you have to get some mid cycle numbers. The longer she spends in high numbers, the harder it'll be to get her down. Her body can lose sensitivity to insulin when it's constantly exposed to a high level of glucose in the bloodstream.

34. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I second what Kris said. She's been sitting in higher numbers preshot, but without mid cycle data, we cannot know why. Can you do a curve this weekend and get some other tests before? Like tonight, a before bed test? We need to get her down, but we need to know what's going on first.

Also, can you please update your SS?

35. Victoria & Buttons

quick question for the moment, though i need more advice on other stuff, what is the best, high protein wet food i can get for buttons? I know shes not regulated at all and that can be a cause of her weight but i need to get her gaining weight asap.

36. Kris & Teasel

Many of us feed plain old Friskies or Fancy Feast pates in whatever amount kitty wants to eat, preferably divided into several meals a day. I see you listed Fancy Feast in your signature. How much are you feeding per day?

37. Victoria & Buttons

I was feeding her twice a day, a can each. Right now I have food constantly down.

38. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Hey there Victoria and Buttons! And isn't she as cute as a button too! :)

I'm not sure why it's confusing? I don't give dosing advice but maybe I can help a little. After reading your SS it has me confused too lol regulating her will help her put on weight too :)

Here's what I did. And why.

Insulin must be given 12 hours apart at the same times every day. So for example I shot at 8am and 8pm - which is why I found your comment confusing about testing, feeding and then shooting later after the first test? What are your shot times?

Tempest didn't get any food for 2 hours before her shots so that her blood glucose wasn't affected by food. Food makes the bg rise. So it's not surprising she tested 13.1 and then higher after food.

Getting middle of the cycle numbers are really the only way to know how well the insulin is working. That would help you a lot I think. :)

39. Victoria & Buttons

oh haha tempestsmom, that was a bit ago. I do realize i need to get her under control but shes super immaciated so im trying everything to get her to gain weight and im really thinking the prozinc isnt working anymore. i havent had time to type up my questions but i hopefully will tonight. im doing everything i can to save her basically because the vet wants to put her down

40. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

The only way to get her to put weight on is to get her regulated, there is no other way, you could feed her as much of anything as you like but until her blood glucose is regulated it won't work.

are you still following the same protocol as you did then? Insulin is not going to work if it's not given regularly 12 hours apart. I'm trying to get a picture of what's going on here to be able to offer suggestions :) x

41. Djamila

Victoria, Tara is right. In order to gain weight, her blood glucose needs to be regulated, and to do that it's very important to carefully follow the protocols.

1. Two shots each day. They must be 12 hours apart, and they need to be at the same times every day.
    2. Pre-shot tests right before the time you give the shot.
    3. Mid-cycle tests as much as possible. The mid-cycle tests are how we decide if the insulin needs to be raised or lowered, so those are very important whenever it's possible to get a few.

Can you decide on a test/shot schedule at times that you can keep consistently, and then post here every day so we can try to help you make some progress with Buttons?

TempestsMum and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  42. Victoria & Buttons

yes sorry. im a bit flustered. i lost my job today because i phoned in sick to rush buttons to the vet. its stupid. either way, the vet said i need to up her to 2.5 units twice a day, and so last night and this morning she read HI on the meter which is above 33 i believe. i feel bad because right now i have to give her antibiotics morning and night and IV fluids morning and night along with insulin and testing. shes getting poked so much :(

43. Kris & Teasel

Maybe you could give us some information on Buttons' other health issues so we have a better picture of what's happening. Could you please tell us why she's on antibiotics and why you give fluids? Other health issues can have a big effect on BG numbers.

I'm sorry you lost your job. That's so very stressful. We can certainly help you with Buttons but we need to know you've read and understood what we've suggested. That's why it would be best if you could make a point of replying to our posts as often and as soon as you can.

Yong & Maury GA and TempestsMum like this.
  44. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I am sorry to hear about your job :arghh:

As Kris says, we need to know you are reading and understanding what we are saying. I've asked similar questions and not got one answer, so am still in the dark as to what's going on. :confused: I can't keep asking the same questions in different ways. I can't even look at the SS because it's not updated so I'm not sure how anyone here can help - :banghead: we need some information of some sort to work with. Please? :)

45. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

I hope Buttons is getting better. I know how frustrating it all can be. Don't feel bad about your job. Your priorities are in order and you can always find another job. You'd feel guilty forever if you had gone to work and Buttons died.

46. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh Victoria, I am so sorry to hear about your job! I can only imagine how stressful that is for you. :bighug::bighug:

We'll definitely be glad to help with Buttons. I won't reiterate what the others have said because you don't need to hear it again, but the info they've asked for will help us to help you!

TempestsMum likes this.
  47. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I would really like to help if I can. I can't offer any dose advice but I can try to help in other ways :bighug:

Rachel likes this.
  48. Victoria & Buttons

Yes, I understand all that is being said.

This is getting harder and harder everyday. And I need some honest advice and what you would do in this situation. Buttons has been diabetic for 5 years with no remissions at all. I took her into the vet last week because I cant get her sugars regulated, shes skin and bones, and not doing well. He has basically told me this is the beginning of the end. He said she was in ketoacidosis (though I find it weird he never kept her overnight to help treat that). He is pretty sure she is in kidney failure (though havent done test to confirm) that is why she is so dehydrated/has no muscle mass left, so I'm having to give IV fluids twice a day. She does have urinary tract infection which is why she is on antibiotics. He is convinced she has built up a resistance to the insulin (I cant get her out of the HI zone these last few days). I went in again today. He said she is better hydrated, he doesnt think its a good idea to switch insulin. He said I can raise the dose but hes basically saying at this stage, I wont ever get her down and regulated. Im heartbroken. I dont know what to do. She is doing way better than a few days ago. I cant give up on her. Im stuck. Am I prolonging the inevitable or am I really going to pull her out of this? I dont know whats right, I just dont want her to suffer. Please any advice would help.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  49. Victoria & Buttons

If anyone knows anything about kidney failure. I did read some and it says I should be feeding with less phosphorus in it and that fancy feast isnt good for that. Any options that are still diabetic friendly? thanks

50. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh Victoria! This is a really hard thing to deal with, and going through it for 5 years would be enough to exhaust anyone.

My honest advice? I'd get a second opinion. I find it extremely suspicious that your vet is saying she's in DKA and hasn't done anything to treat it. If she was in DKA, most likely you'd know it AND no vet worth their salt would say that and not do SOMETHING to treat it. Also, I find it extremely irresponsible of the vet to say she's in kidney failure without ANY testing. So here's what I'd do:
    • Find another vet to get a second opinion. You don't have to CHANGE vets, but this way, at least you have info from one other person.
    • Demand ketone testing (or do it yourself if you can today) AND testing for CKD. Request that they hand you a copy of the labs and test results. You can post them here and there are plenty of folks that can read the labs and give feedback.
    • Do a bit of research if either of those conditions is present before making any decisions. DKA is treatable, though she might need to be at the vet for a day or two. We've had plenty of kitties make it through and live long healthy lives. CKD is also treatable and you can make some changes to help. There are plenty of people here who have great experience with it and can help you do what is needed!
    • As for insulin, you want to test regularly (AM and PM before shot), as much as often between cycles, and we can help you get her into better ranges! Looking back at your SS, the insulin IS working. She's had some blues and greens sprinkled in there, so you know it does work. Without regular testing and as many mid cycles as you can get, there's no way to know what is going on and we can't really help you figure out how to bring her down.
    I wouldn't give up yet, Victoria. Second opinions, actual testing for conditions, and our combined experience and knowledge here are all tools that you have. Until you give those a try, I wouldn't make a decision that is final. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

51. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I 100% agree with Rachel here.
    Sending prayers and hugs your way! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

52. Kris & Teasel

I completely agree with Rachel's excellent advice. That's a great plan for you going forward. :bighug:

53. Yong & Maury GA

Definitely agree with Rachel as well.

54. Victoria & Buttons

Rachel, thank you. You made me cry (in the best way possible). All Ive been hearing is that basically its time, but in my gut, its saying not to. Thank god i fought for it. He wanted to put her down the first time i brought her in. Thank you for giving me some hope that I can do this. I really appreciate it.

I honestly did find it weird he didnt keep her in for ketoacidosis. She had it a year or so ago and I went to a different vet and they kept her. This guy isnt my normal vet, just one that could get me in quicker as I was super worried. Ill call my regular vet today. I will try test for ketones and get mid cycle tests today as well.
    Thank you again. Do you think its a good idea to switch to a less phosphorus food right now, or wait? I read somewhere too that you need low protein for kidney disease but she needs some protein right now. Shes tiny :(

Rachel likes this.
  55. Victoria & Buttons

Okay, the earliest I could get her in for my regular vet is Tuesday. I hope shes okay until then. I feel better already as it was the receptionist who knows everything and already is getting the files faxed over from the other vet. :)

56. Yong & Maury GA

1. Keep a check on your emotions. Breathe. :bighug:
    2. Stay on top of the diabetes schedule.
    3. Keep SS updated and get a minimum of AMPS and PMPS.
    4. Get extra fluids in her.
    5. Get her to eat, don't worry about the phosphorus right now.
    6. Keep testing for ketones daily, or as close to it as you can.
    7. Don't disappear. Keep posting here if you have questions. If you're asked questions or for clarification, please answer.
    The last step is because we can help. We truly care about all of the kitties here :cat: and worry when people post with a problem then go silent for days or weeks :(:mad:.
    Curious, why did you lower her dose this morning?

Rachel, Kris & Teasel and TempestsMum like this.
  57. Victoria & Buttons

Thank you. I lowered it just to see basically. As it was what she was on before I was wondering if maybe thats why she was spiking up. I just tested her and she hasnt moved. Should i give her more insulin or wait?

Also tested ketones and shes in between 8-10 so the large category :(what do i do?

58. Djamila

Wait. You should never ever give insulin in the middle of the cycle.

Insulin is only given twice per day. And it needs to be at the same times every day, and twelve hours apart. So for example, you give a shot at 7am, then you give another shot at 7pm. That's all - nothing in between.

So you choose two times per day, and then you stick to those times every day.

What times do you think you can stick with?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    TempestsMum likes this.
  59. Kris & Teasel

OMG! This is serious! This needs vet attention ASAP! Are you sure you timed the test strip correctly for 15 seconds before judging colour?

TempestsMum likes this.
  60. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

:eek: Definitely an emergency please please get to a vet... what Kris said!

61. Kris & Teasel

Please keep us posted! Very, very serious situation!

TempestsMum likes this.
  62. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Victoria are you there?? This is a serious situation and she definitely need a vet NOW. Take her to the vet ER if a vet isn't open as she needs to be monitored and cared for. Cats CAN and DO recover from DKA, but it's super important to get her in now! Is your vet open? Can you call and explain the situation to see if you can get in now as an emergency patient???

63. Yong & Maury GA

This is what I was talking about :banghead::(. 3.5 hours. I'll understand more, if she just read the post and immediately went to ER. Hope we hear an update.

TempestsMum likes this.
  64. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

@Yong I hope you are right!!

65. Victoria & Buttons

I live in a small town with no vet so I have to go out of town. Im waiting to hear back, I left a message. Will keep you updated when I can. If I have to drive farther I will

66. Yong & Maury GA

If you don't get a call back soon, I think you should start driving like 5 hours ago.

67. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

When does the vet close? I think I'd take off now. Any ketone reading above trace means an emergency. I really didn't think Buttons was in DKA based on the vet's reaction, but now I am very worried. You definitely checked right at 15 seconds, right? Any later can cause the strip to get darker. Were you able to get any more tests in? Is Buttons eating/drinking?

Cats can overcome it with treatment (Chloe just did!), but the sooner she is seen by a vet and cared for, the better her chances! I'd call the vet again at least and say you want to come in NOW.

srk4cats likes this.
  68. JanetNJ

If you haven't already, get in the car NOW.

69. Victoria & Buttons

Not to be rude, but Yong I really don't appreciate the sarcastic comments. Please if you have nothing decent to say, don't say anything.

To say I'm pissed and hurt is an understatement. Basically the vet (tim) I went to Monday saw she had ketones, assumed it was kidney failure and just said to put her down. When I said I want to do everything, I expected everything to be done and it wasn't. Either way, she's at the vet overnight. This new vet says he doesn't think it's kidney at all. He said it could be pancreas or liver tumor but he's going to do all the tests I wanted to do in the first place, including thyroid. He did say the urinary tract infection could be cause of some insulin resistance too? And he was going to try her on an insulin he is familiar with to get her sugars down. Hope for the best. :(

70. Victoria & Buttons

And Rachel yes, at the 15 mark it was at an 8 for ketones. I did think it was weird that the first vet said she has ketoacidosis but didn't keep her or do much. It frustrates me and I feel guilty for letting it go on for 5 days. :(
    I did get more tests and they were all above 33. She is drinking normal, eating a little less but more sporadic.

71. Victoria & Buttons

Latest update. Definitely not kidney failure as her kidneys are functioning normally. Unfortunately she's severely anemic which he thinks is bone marrow or cancer elsewhere :(

72. JanetNJ

I'm so sorry your kitty isn't doing well.

73. JanetNJ

Yong was just trying to emphasize the urgency of getting Buttons help. Her intent was not to upset you.

74. Kris & Teasel

I really hope this new vet can figure it out and that it's treatable. It seems that he's a lot more on the ball. I'm very sorry that you're going through this. We're all here to help and were trying our best to convey the worrying nature of your kitty's situation.

75. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I echo what's Been said, and I truly hope things get turned around towards better times for you both! :bighug:

76. Djamila

Sounds like you had quite a night! Thank goodness you found a vet that is listening and helping you figure out what's going on with your fur baby. How is Buttons doing today? Any news from the vet?

77. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Please do update us as soon as you can. We're all worried about Buttons (we worry about every kitty on here like they are our own).

So to clarify:
    • She has a UTI
    • She is in DKA
    • She is anemic and we're not sure what is causing that?
    Is that right? Did I miss anything? Just trying to make sure we've got a good understanding of what's going on.

TempestsMum likes this.
  78. Yong & Maury GA

I was not being sarcastic or intentionally trying to upset you. We'll tell almost anyone who has a ketone test come back higher than trace to get to the Vet immediately. I will stop posting on your thread though. Good luck with Buttons.

79. Victoria & Buttons

Haven't heard anything yet. They did say they were going to do a bunch of tests, for thyroid, blood, glucose, urine, stuff with the pancreas.

Yes Rachel. She is dka, has a uti and extremely anemic which usually means cancer. :(

Do any of you know financial help at all? It's estimated at over $1400 and with no job I'm a little stressed :(

80. JanetNJ

@Chris & China

81. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I see Janet tagged Chris with DCIN. They may be able to help. Also have you ever tried Care Credit?

82. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I encourage her to contact me and I can see if there's anything we can do to help, but DCIN has spent over $40,000 on emergency care (that doesn't include insulin and supplies for over 100 low income clients) and our coffers are pretty bare. Our donations aren't keeping up with our expenditures but I'll sure see if there's any help we can offer!!

JanetNJ likes this.
  83. Victoria & Buttons

I haven't Rachel, but does it work with preexisting conditions?

Thank you. I will contact Chris ❤

84. Chris & China (GA)

Care Credit is just a credit company that (if you qualify) can help pay vet bills.....it's not insurance, so it doesn't matter about preexisting conditions....They will give you an amount they are willing to "loan" and a time table to pay it back....usually about 6 months without interest.....but if you miss a payment, the interest will accrue from the date of the loan

You can apply online and they'll tell you if you qualify and for how much....it's worth trying!!

85. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

86. Victoria & Buttons

I don't think it works for Canadians. I tried to start to apply and it wouldn't let me put my zip code in. :(

Got an update. She's in for another night for more tests. He was able to get her stable. Her sugars are down to 14-15 range which is awesome. he obviously has to be careful with putting fluids in to flush ketones with her being anemic. He said definitely not kidney failure as they are functioning 30-40%. He says the pancreas came back abnormal. We sent for another test to see the numbers for it. He is pretty sure it's either pancreatitis or a tumor on the pancreas. He's doing another urinalysis tonight to see about ketones, a blood curve to see about getting her off the insulin drip. He did switch her to Lantus as its what he's familiar with and I'm happy for that. Will try keep updated!

TempestsMum likes this.
  87. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So you'll be switching to Lantus once Buttons comes home? I'd encourage you to go read the stickies on their forum...they're dosed completely differently from ProZinc and you'll HAVE to be very consistent about your doses and tests. Please keep us updated and let us know how Buttons is!

88. Chris & China (GA)

Buttons has been on Levemir before, so switching to Lantus would be about the same

89. Chris & China (GA)

For those of you that have been following along, DCIN has agreed to help with Button's emergency care, but we are already over $10,000 in the hole this year so we need help!!

If you'd like to help Buttons, please consider sending a donation to her Fundraiser!! Every dollar counts!!!

If you would prefer to bypass the YouCaring site, you can donate to DCIN directly via PayPal. Use the "Pay or send money" option, then select "friends and family" to avoid fees on cash and checking donations and send your donation to donate@dcin.info.If you use a credit card, you can choose to pay the fee to maximize your donation to DCIN. You can indicate in the optional box to which fundraiser you are donating, and we'll add your donation information to the YouCaring page

If you want to use the YouCaring site but want every dime to go to DCIN, you can also change the "recommended donation" to zero!! When you get to the end it will automatically fill out an amount that they recommend you donate to YouCaring but you do NOT have to do this! Just click where it says
    $0.00donation +$0.00to YouCaring (recommended) and change it to zero

TempestsMum likes this.
  90. Victoria & Buttons

Update. She's coming home tomorrow. He is switching her to Lantus. He took her off the continuous drip and her sugars went up so he's trying to find the right dose. No more ketones and her anemia levels actually got a bit better. He didn't mention much about the pancreas but I guess I'll ask more tomorrow. He also said about changing her diet, which scares me but I will ask the forum before I do. :)

TempestsMum likes this.
  91. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Great news! :)

92. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

SO glad she's coming home!! You'll want to really keep on top of ketone testing on your end. I see Chris pointed out you used to be on Lev and Lantus is super similar so the dosing should be familiar to you. I would make sure to post over in the LL forum to get some assistance and I'd add that she had DKA to your signature...that will change how you dose. :) Let us know how she is when you get her home! I'm sure both of you will be thrilled!

TempestsMum likes this.
  93. Kris & Teasel

He might want her on higher carb food for now so you can give a higher dose of insulin. That's important if she was producing ketones. There are people on the L forum who are knowledgeable about post DKA kitties. They can help. It comes down to good hydration (add extra water to every wet food meal), enough carbs and calories to get some weight on her and support a high enough insulin dose and treatment of any infection/inflammation she might have.

Rachel likes this.
  94. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Thanks for the info Chris & China I will donate directly.

95. Victoria & Buttons

I can't thank everyone that has donated enough. It made me cry today from the generosity of others.

I am on my way to get my baby. He does want to change her diet, he said low carbs high protein (which isn't she on?) And he said they don't have much for canned food there. He has a weight management one :banghead:. I laughed out loud. Oops. She is skin and bones. I need to get her gaining weight. What Kris said makes sense. Is that a thing to get higher calorie and up insulin to get her gaining weight? It just worries me with her pancreas :/

TempestsMum likes this.
  96. Kris & Teasel

Underweight cats can have a bigger risk of developing ketones. That's why she needs more calories. They sometimes will be put on higher carb food so that you can give a higher insulin dose. Getting enough insulin is one of the things that helps to prevent ketone development. If the vet wants low carb food, then feed her more small meals a day.

I hope the vet gives you an at home treatment plan because she'll be in a fragile state for a while.

Yong & Maury GA and TempestsMum like this.
  97. Chris & China (GA)

Yes....the Fancy Feast you've been feeding is low carb and fine.....don't let him convince you that you need to buy anything else.

You can also feed the Kitten Fancy Feast....it's higher calorie per ounce without adding a lot of carbs

It sounds like he might be talking about W/D.....it's high carb and the ingredients are just awful....it's a "weight diet" that has an ingredient cutely named "powdered cellulose"....that's a nice word for sawdust!!...it's not to help them gain weight either.....it's for overweight pets! The "sawdust" makes them feel full so they don't eat as much

98. Victoria & Buttons

We're home!!

Now I am massively confused with food. He totally did convince me to buy other wet food. Its Hills wet food, for metabolic and urinary care - vegetable and chicken stew flavored. I was okay with it, until the vet tech said oh its good, it has chunks and gravy. :nailbiting: I did do the calculator for carbs and its saying its 4.3%. But shouldnt i be feeding her more calories in a way, to help her gain weight? When I say shes skin and bones, i mean it. This vet has been amazing, he said two things that really worried me though today, he said he wants to eventually get her on dry kibble to gain weight (my mind was screaming double hell no) and he said if she gets ketones, its not a rush to the vet. I mean, I dont know if he was meaning a trace of them or what, but I said I test for them at home, and he said they're made for humans, and not accurate for animals. :/ weird.

So basically, shes eating the food i mentioned above, getting one unit of lantus (though he said i should go up), getting antibiotics still for UTI. I need to give her this powder stuff once a day with her food to help her kidneys/pancreas/potassium levels. I need to give her a shot of vitamin B12 once every week for four weeks. And he said I need to do a curve every 7-10 days. (ps i may have a faulty meter. tested her with their Alphatreck meter before we left vets, was at 14.2, three hours later at home, my reading says HI (>33)) :/

Anyways, I asked for copies of their curves so I have them, should I add them to this SS or make a whole new one? Any advice with the feeding would be super helpful! Thanks so much!!:bighug:

TempestsMum likes this.
  99. Victoria & Buttons

100. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey Victoria, I think you can probably add your numbers to your current SS. Maybe just make a line above to show where the numbers from the vet are, and then another line for you switching to Lantus. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.