Oliveversary

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Olive & Paula, Feb 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

End of January 2018, while in process of adopting a sugar kitty, Love's post kept popping up on my Facebook. The adoption sadly did not go through (foster decided to keep) and @Chris & China (GA) had sent me a few others to look at. Love's post had for rescue only. I asked why rescue only. I always wondered why if a person could provide the care needed for a special needs why couldn't it be an adoption. Before I knew what happened, I was Love's new mom.

Only thing we knew about Love was she was Canadian, found in a dumpster looking for food in -34 temps by a woman (Laurie) taking out her trash. Laurie took her in and her daughter named her Love. No one claimed her and Laurie who was very pregnant could not keep her. Laurie noticed Love was not well. A friend of hers, Cathy (Last Chance Resuce) not sure of connection here, took Love to vet and diabetes was diagnosed. Diet change was started, dry food as recommended by vet or shelter for a couple of weeks.

Love not improving. Neither Cathy or Laurie knew anything about FD. Laurie who was now going to deliver any moment and Cathy was helping her best she could were willing to start insulin until arrangements could all be ironed out. So I purchased the insulin, Cathy picked it up, getting meter to her was more a problem. Cathy and Laurie were given a crash course into the FD dance by Chris and whoever helped her, were willing to start insulin and Love was started on token dose until everything could be sorted out. The few BG test that were obtained I think at the shelter, Love was super high. Her shots were sporadic, they were doing the best they could. Depot hadn't been established yet. I was afraid of DKA setting in and Love arriving "hot" and I would be getting a very sick kitty.

So within 10 days of asking a question (be careful what you ask) Love was on her way to me. She even had a theme song, Beatles All you need is Love, Love is all you need. I never really liked the Beatles but now couldn't get it out of my head thanks to Chris.

Now will the weather hold up (snow storm brewing), will she make it through the border, will all drivers be safe, how does she travel, does she get car sick, is she a howler (got one of those), will she get along with my others, will she tolerate testing, Must say, my house got cleaned that day.

2/10/2018 @ 8:14 AM Love was already on her Freedom Ride from Canada to me in Pennsylvania. (I didn't sleep one minute the night before and was watching my phone for text messages super early). Mind running a mile a minute, making sure I had everything in house ready. Food, syringes, test strips, treats, already had vet appointment scheduled, ketone meter and strips, anything possible that might be needed. Wouldn't chance running out in case something happened.

Cathy from Last Chance rescue accompanied Love across the Canadian Border @ 8:36 AM and as Phoebe Basso (DCIN) said she is now a U.S. Kittizen. @Linda and Bear Man and @Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) and Sarah Huneau (NY Transport Group), Cindy Gross (whose tag doesn't seem to be here anymore), and Kat Walsh (think with DCIN, not sure) for providing pictures during transport, all gave up their time unselfishly to drive Love to me. I never knew people did this.

At approx 3:30 PM I got my first look of Love. Immediately, part Maine Coon popped into my head. She was gorgeous. Love could have cared less, we woke her up, how dare we.

As time went on, I could not get use to Love, Laurie had also mentioned they sometimes called her Olive. That was close to Love so it wouldn't confuse her and I liked that. So she became Olive to honour Laurie and Kailey.

Today we start our 3rd year together. I have discovered her likes (food) and dislikes (being touched). Found out about multiple issues. She has spent most of the first 2 years not being 100%. Mostly lethargic and in pain. This past year, I have witnessed improvement. She now jumps on furniture, plays with shoelace even if she is laying down doing it, walks with confidence now (always testing the floor before each step), pounces on toys sometimes, even seen her run a few times (of course to her food dish). She now allows some brushing and doesn't pull away as if it hurts her. She will sit next to us and sit on husband, but not me.

Olive, I hope you are healthier, feeling better and happy as you can be at this time.

Thank you, Olive, Cathy, DCIN, Chris, Linda, Ella, Sarah, and Cindy. Thank you FDMB for being here on our journey which has not been easy. Thank you @Wendy&Neko for knowing all about Acro (I will never understand it) and helping us navigate it. Most of all Thank you Laurie and Kailey for having faith and allowing me to be Olive's Mom.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Most of all, thank you Paula, for having such a huge heart. :bighug::bighug: What you have done with Love now Olive is just short of a miracle. This former dumpster diver has seen complete turn around. You fight for what she needs, and the proof is Olive today.

3. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Paula, I would also like to thank you for taking her in and being such an awesome Bean to Ollie! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Never knew the full backstory on Olive. Thanks for sharing it. Made me break out into a huge grin.

Sonia & Leo and Olive & Paula like this.
  5. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

What a nice love story with lucky Olive ! She could not have found a better mom ! Thanks for sharing the beginning of your life together !! :bighug:

6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

OMG Paula! That is so precious! I just love the fact that she's imported and is now a US Kitizen!

How wonderful you are to adopt such a precious girl and have taken such good care of her...so glad you shared her story :bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It sounds like you were both meant to be together. Ollie is lucky to have you.

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

When I first saw her picture, I knew who to send it to!

Olive has been a lot more work for you than you expected, but you have taken on the challenge and are giving her the best life possible. I know she appreciates it!

She had such a tough beginning story...I'm thrilled that she has such a strong advocate for her now and you can tell that she's in the best home ever!

Told ya...."all you need is Love"!....LOL

9. Olive & Paula

Well, no more pictures for awhile. It's funny, I heard that song today on the radio.

10. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

I love this story. You are awesome!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  11. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

*SNIFF* beautiful story,:joyful: beautiful hooman. sigh:bighug:

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  12. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Paula, what a beautiful “Love” story about Olive!!

When you think of all the planets that needed to be aligned just right and all the random things that needed to happen for this to come together, it’s really incredible. The fact that you are celebrating three years together is a testament to your love and devotion to your precious Love kitty, you are a truly an amazing person, don’t ever forget that!! Thank you and all the wonderful people involved in bringing Olive to you. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

14. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Paula, Olive is one lucky kitty to share her life with you. Happy Annifursary!!
    I remember that DCIN transport vividly. @Linda and Bear Man was visiting us for the Saranac Lake Winter Carnival, so she came along for added support when I drove to Plattsburgh, on the Canadian border, to pick up "Love" from Cathy. We "handed her off" in Pottersville NY to Sarah, who drove the next lap. "Love" was a purrfect traveler, snuggled up in her blankets and robes in the back seat :cat:. I was so happy to see that she had a lot of Maine Coon in her, because my "Rusty" was a Maine Coon mix and was also a terrific traveler. It may be a characteristic of the breed.
    Ollie is doing so well under your care, Paula. We wish you a wonderful year ahead.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Olive & Paula

I remember you taking time from the Carnival to drive and still making it back for the parade.

The carnival is this weekend right? Enjoy it.

16. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

That was a great day! I remember it fondly, just as I do the day we did the transport to bring Rusty home to Ella and Edward. As Ella says, Olive was a perfect passenger, with not a peep out of her, as if she knew she was going to her forever home. She was so lucky to find you, Paula. Congratulations, Paula and Olive, on your second anniversary!

17. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

It ended last weekend. The parade is always fun to watch, even when the temperature is 7 degrees F!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.