? Ollie's newest low tonight

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Peggy & Oliver, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peggy & Oliver

Peggy & Oliver Member

Hi, hope I selected the right prefix.

Is there a way to post in two forums at once, for future. I have copied and pasted my post from Health forum.

Ollie has been running mid 200's-mid 300's for a while. Tomorrow will be about a week since we went to 3 units. Checked him at 11:01 pm (+5 hours) before my bedtime and he is at 71. Any opinions about dosing in the morning? Will be too early to check in with vet, as I shoot around 6 am. Definitely can't give him 3. We are using SLGS.

Not an emergency, he gets small meal now and a little later with Cat Mate and I will be going to sleep but will check in.

Thanks!

Peggy & Oliver ^~^

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

On SLGS, that 71 earned him a reduction back to 2.75 units. Congrats! :D

This forum is a little busier late at night - you are fine to post here.

3. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Go Oliver!

Peggy & Oliver likes this.
  4. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

I agree with Wendy, Ollie earned a reduction to 2.75u with that 71.(slgs), good catch.:):D

5. Peggy & Oliver

Peggy & Oliver Member

The continuing saga .....

Ollie just had a reading of 48 at +6 hours. If reading the emails below, we had gotten off track a bit because I had to be away for a few days starting the 20th - it was supposed to be 2 or 3 nights but turned into 5 because of the weather and some adjustments had to be made while kitty sitter was in charge as she only tested pre-shot. Meanwhile, here we are today and I was going to float a few days with just doing pre-shots but then Ollie came right up on my lap at his lunchtime since he is used to getting a test before so I figured I would go ahead. So much for eliminating the lunchtime test with a number of 48!!

Any suggestions for dosing tonight? If his number is back up to it's usual 200s-300s do I give him his now usual dose of 2.5?

Thank you all. We have more snow and sleet headed our way up here in NY tomorrow. Is Ollie's spreadsheet visible or should I start a new thread?

Peggy & Oliver ^~^

6. Gill & George

Did you double check that 48? by testing it again straight away?

7. Gill & George

With SLGS, I assume you are still doing that, the guidelines suggest a reduction anytime they drop below 90.
    So with that 48 he has earned a reduction. That said if he bounces you could shoot through the bounce holding the dose tonight then taking the reduction tomorrow morning.
    Looking at the ss it looks to me that the 2.5u has been getting him into some nicer numbers, then you drained the depot with that BCS of 0.5u the other morning, today is 5 cycles since that so guess he decided to show you what he could do with the dose.

I'm not sure why you would want to eliminate the lunchtime test (other than you are not available for it), if you are home then I would always get it, or even better, instead of always getting a +6, why not mix it up a bit or get spot checks when you can? getting tests at different times of the day/night can help you figure out Ollie's patterns, it builds a better picture.

Please test again in 20 min after giving him some HC to make sure he is coming up.

Peggy & Oliver likes this.
  8. Peggy & Oliver

Peggy & Oliver Member

ok. I will try some other times. Will not let up on testing, vet was under impression it's overkill but that is so wrong. Ollie's numbers are going up on his regular lunch and is doing fine. Thank you. Still trying to understand more about the depot, Gill & George, what you say makes sense. The vet called me "doc" (in a nice way) a couple weeks ago when I brought Ollie there. Apparently he is not experienced with pro-active kitty moms. :cat: One of the younger vets thought the "over-testing" might be stressing him but he is used to being handled a lot and is pretty laid back about it. According to SLGS directions, this situation calls for a .25 reduction tonight assuming his pre shot number is up as it usually is. Is that correct? I'm just concerned about dealing with both this unusually low nadir and whatever I might find tonight.

Again, thanks to all who help out with this. Very much appreciated.

Peggy & Oliver ^~^

9. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Yes, each time you get a test under 90, you reduce by 0.25u. I see you gave 2.0u tonight per the spreadsheet, but I would go to 2.25u tomorrow morning with him, if he were mine.

Often, reducing in advance, or by too large of an increment, can backfire. It's up to you, of course, but I'm just mentioning the downside so you'll know.

You can see how important home-testing is. I don't know why more vets don't encourage (or even suggest) it! Once you've got the hang of it, you've got it and the cat will accept it. The thing most people need help with is how to keep the costs down. Fortunately, this group has fabulous tips for that!

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  10. Peggy & Oliver

Peggy & Oliver Member

Hi Julie,

Thanks so much for your reply. Since he both had an extremely low number at noon and then a lower than normal pre-shot number, I thought it was kind of like a double-whammy so went with 2 to be safe against a hypo situation. It's really hard to get a grasp on how he can have such a huge swing in one day. If he is up like usual, like he is now, I will surely go back up to the 2.5.

Thanks again! It's wonderful to have support and helpful suggestions :)

Peggy & Oliver ^~^

11. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go back to 2.5u - that 48 tells you that 2.5u is a little too much. I'd go to 2.25u instead. Of course if you want to stay at 2.0u you can, but typically it works really well to move by 0.25u increments in your situation.

It's not uncommon for a cat to have big blood sugar swings before they become a little better regulated.

12. Peggy & Oliver

Peggy & Oliver Member

Thank you. New question to come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.