Our update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Voula, Mar 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

It has been a few months since I posted an update. My Lucy and I are doing well with our various issues and keeping our vets and doctors in work. My Lucy had a dental today and she had a cleaning and two teeth out and two teeth had the crowns removed as the roots had been absorbed into bone under the gumline and the dental vet said this is a very good example of why dental xrays are needed. Dental xrays are needed to assess which teeth can be treated in this way and I am very glad we saw a dental vet at the vet teaching hospital where they also have full anesthetic monitoring and veterinary anesthetists on staff. Dental xrays were done before and after the procedure. Lucy ate very well when we got home and though she seems a little unsettled she seems fine. She had a short acting antibiotic injection that lasts a couple of days and buprenorphine for pain relief after the procedure. Lucy has issues with feline tooth resorption and last year had teeth out and another cleaning too. Our local vet started Lucy on low dose meloxicam over a month ago now and she has benefitted from that in terms of her arthritis. I am aware that there is controversy about meloxicam and some issues with its use in some cats, but so far for us it has been beneficial with no side effects. The doses used here in Australia are lower and we have a cat specific formulation. Lucy had blood tests before starting it and again today and all seems fine. We didn't want to give a sedating pain relief medication for various reasons and after some hesitation and anxiety we began a trial with a very small dose and I am happy we did so. Lucy is moving more and also has lost a little weight and seems happier too. I had another of my ongoing surgical procedures a few weeks ago and another one to come soon. But we are doing okay and keeping the medical profession in business it seems. :cat::) I hope everyone and their kitties are well too.

My previous post:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/our-update.148999/#post-1554251

sarahtee likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad you are both doing well. I hope Lucy recovers quickly from the dental and your next procedure goes well.

Voula likes this.
  3. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Hi Voula, nice to see you :) glad to hear that you're both motoring along. Sending vines for Lucy's little mouth.

Voula likes this.
  4. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Για σας Βούλα , καλός ήρθατε !

Good to hear your update and that you are both well. Healthy teeth and gums are so important. Great that you have access to the vet teaching hospital.

Να είστε καλά :cool:

Voula likes this.
  5. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you very much Carla. Lucy seems to be recovered physically but she seems quite hyperactive and I wonder if it is a reaction to the buprenorphine as I read it can cause this reaction. She wants food all the time and doesn't seem relaxed though she did have a similar reaction to an anesthetic before and the buprenorphine should have worn off by now. Last time she had an anesthetic for a dental she was very relaxed when she was recovering but she is wanting food and also her glucose level seems lower than it should be given the lowered previous dose and the longer time between yesterday's dose and this morning's dose. I guess this is a good thing though I did reduce this morning's dose to be safe.

6. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Serryn. Best wishes to Vyktor and Purrdy and you and your mum too. Lucy is doing well though a bit hyperactive and wanting a lot of food despite her glucose levels being lower than expected considering reduced doses before and after the dental and two late doses too.

7. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Ευχαριστώ και για σου Σάντη. Thank you so much Sandy. My Lucy is well though not fully recovered yet and I am tired but relieved the dental is done. Love to you and thank you.

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Voula! So nice to see you! I was ill earlier this week and see that I missed your visit.

Yay for the dental being done! Yay for a good veterinary dentist and x-rays! I'm glad you're both doing all right, in spite of keeping the medical profession going in your part of the world. hahahaha. It's good to hear from you.

Sending our best to your sweet Lucy. I hope her mouth is feeling better by now.

Voula likes this.
  9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad the dental went well Voula....what a relief for you!
    And I hope your next procedure goes well for you.:bighug::bighug:

Voula likes this.
  10. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice to hear an update from you Voula, sorry I missed your post earlier in the week. Glad the dental went well for Lucy and tons of vines that she soon gets back to normal. And heaps of vines for your own upcoming surgery too, look after yourself :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    Voula likes this.
  11. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Julie. I hope you are well now. Yes the dental vet said it shows the necessity of dental xrays because Lucy's teeth could not have been properly treated without dental xrays. I also like that the vet teaching hospital has full anesthetic monitoring and vet anesthetists there. I think Lucy is feeling much better after the dental as she wants more food and is eating it very fast. We are getting back to teeth brushing. Lucy enjoys her teeth being brushed. Thank you again. :bighug::bighug:

12. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Bron. It sure is a relief that the dental is done. My Lucy seems to feel better too. With the medication for her arthritis and the weight loss and now her teeth being attended to it will be interesting to see how it all affects her glucose levels and insulin dose.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  13. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Suki. My issues are ongoing but I am coping okay. I am very relieved the dental is done and that my Lucy is doing well after it. Lucy loves her food and she ate straight away after the dental was done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.