Pancreatitis diet for a non-diabetic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by arozeboom, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

Our Midgie is spending some time in the hospital...at the moment they are leaning towards pancreatitis. We're waiting on test results.

In case it is pancreatitis, what diet is recommended? She's currently on Fancy Feast and was on Friskies Special Diet until we lost Ruby 3 weeks ago. She prefers pate style. She's basically been healthy other than bad teeth and a lung tumor that was cleanly removed almost 3 years ago.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Alix

Alix Member

3. JenniferF

JenniferF Member

also low fat. I have switched my cats to Tiki Cat. It's just about zero carbs and no fat and barely anything other than chicken and broth. I had a non diabetic with pancreatitis so bad she ended up with a feeding tube for 3 weeks. She has had is 3 times in 1 year. Just know it usually re-occurs so you want to be aware of anything and get Midgie to the vet at the first sign.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It is renal disease which requires low phosphorus food, not pancreatitis.
    Some cat have no problem with fat, other cats may have pancreatitis triggered by it.

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Sometimes it is the type of fat that can be a trigger. Saoirse, for example, cannot tolerate salmon oil and seems to be uncomfortable with sunflower oil but she gets on relatively well with foods that contain fats from poultry sources.

Feeding little and often can help a great deal. Also, supportive treatments make things better. Here are the IDEXX treatment guidelines for pancreatitis.

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Interesting thread, and just the kind of info/discussion we could be compiling in a 'Complications & Concurrent Conditions' forum....if we do manage to get one set up here...
    Will post a link to this thread in the Think Tank thread here:
    Pancreatitis Info (Edit: and other co-existing conditions)

PS. Sending well-wishes to Midgie
    xxx

7. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your Ruby :( rest in peace little one :rb_icon:

8. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

My Tiger did very well on Purina EN, a bland diet. I was just happy to have her eating anything, frankly! I gradually mixed the EN with her regular Wellness Core over a few weeks. I hope your Midgie is okay?

If you are interested, here is a Roundtable discission of diagnosing and managing pancreatitis. The general consensus seems to be that every cat is different, it may be more important to feed what the cat will eat and keep down.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Critter Mom

Ruth makes a very good point about diet. Saoirse does much better on bland foods. I have learned to use my sense of smell to guide me when trialling new foods with her: if they are very strong- or savoury-smelling to me, they tend to disagree with her.

10. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Remi seems to have done better on a low fat, low carb single protein source food. I say that cautiously because at the moment he is having a few issues

11. Critter Mom

@phlika29 - Sarah, I'm sorry to hear that Remi's having dificulties at the moment. I'm in the same boat with Saoirse.

:bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.