Perkins 911

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Elena, Aug 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elena

Elena Member

High everyone, I haven't been around in a while because I had a lot of things going on and none of them are good. Perkins has been on Levemir for a little over a year now. When he started insulin he was about 15 pounds then the went to 18. For a little while now and again he was throwing up. In the past week it has been happening more and more so I weighted him he is now 15 pounds again. I have been giving him about 2 iu of levemir twice a day. I thought maybe that was too much and maybe that is why he is throwing up so I lowered it a little to 1.5 which is what the vet wanted when he was 15 pounds. Well today he threw up 6 times and I checked him of Ketones in the urine and I really couldn't tell by the color of the strip so I got urine from someone else and compared the two strips and his was more pink so I think he has trace of Ketones, here is my plan, I think I should give him a little more Levemir maybe 2.5. I know he should have his sugar check but he is one of those cats where that is not possible he won't let me and believe me I have tried. Any thought on this will be appreciated. Thanks

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Without blood sugar data, it's too hard to say if he's getting too little, too much, or the right amount of insulin. Can you add more water to his food? I would think about a vet visit tomorrow. Vomiting can be the sign of a lot of things.

Elena likes this.
  3. Elena

Elena Member

The extra insulin seems to be working , he only threw up once today.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Are you willing to learn to home test the bg? Blindly raising the dose a whole unit is risky. Throwing up also can happen when The bg goes too low. There's no way of knowing unless you test.

Elena likes this.
  5. Elena

Elena Member

Hi, I know how to home test, the thing is Perkins won't let me. I didn't increase the insulin much just back to were it was before. The thing is he has lost 3 pounds, last time that happened his blood sugar was to high so that is why I put the insulin up a little. It's a long story but so far he has not thrown up at all today. Thank God.

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

You might want to try some desensitization exercises to get him used to the testing routine and he'll learn to associate it with something positive. :) I'm not great at putting it into words so I'll tag a buddy who's better at explaining lol. @Djamila ;), her boy Sam was semi-feral when she started so I call on her for members who do not have "lap cats" :cat:

Elena likes this.
  7. Elena

Elena Member

Ok thanks, God bless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.