Pig 07/20 pmps 59

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LuvinThisPig, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

Yesterday's

I can only hope that his sudden responsiveness to the insulin means that we are over this last fiasco. He has made it back down to 18uL and I am hopeful for further decreases. He is feeling very well, indeed, tonight and I can see the difference that the greens make. :D I am fairly certain he was getting used to those yellows a bit and that is not a good thing. Now, fingers crossed and all prayers to Bastet that he does not decided to hope and elevator to the top floor tonight in response to today's limes.. ;)

His vet increased his Prazosin dose since I am being so timid around the Acepromozine. I just do not like the erratic nature of response that it comes with. Some cats it knocks completely out for 6-7 hours, others it does not even touch. Also, because of the nature of its action with the dopamine receptors, it is a conscious sedation.. as in, when the cat is awake it can't move. I do not like that idea at all. I hope the increased Prazo dose will do the trick.

Also, I am looking into green lipped muscles to help manage his arthritis pain. He gets Adequan, but seems to need a boost. I want to avoid more RXs unless absolutely necessary. So, I have that on order and it should arrive on Saturday.

He is doing quite well with the Animal Enzymes (digestive). Surprisingly, Tail is too... Tail is my finicky guy. Each thing I am adding in slowly. I am hoping to see improvement on labs when we go back...

2. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Wow what an eventful day! :D:eek: Nice PMPS and surfing today, so happy Pig is working that juice so well!

Sonia & Leo and LuvinThisPig like this.
  3. LuvinThisPig

Yes! Thank you! I have been so worried the past few weeks. Things have been so wonky and different for him, but he had an excellent day today and that makes me feel so much better!

By the way, congratulations on your news!!! I am over the moon that they will help you to get that surgery done for free!!! That is just so incredible! I never even considered surgery as it was waaayyy out of my price range, but if you can do this free of charge! Yes, the MRIs will be costly and the echo as well, but the more you know about what is going on the better. And 5,000$ rough estimate for all of it is an incredible price. Have you made any decisions?

JeffJ and Amanda & Shmee like this.
  4. Ville

Ville Member

I just wanted to say I think the name 'Pig' is amazing, and somehow fits him so well! The latest curve looks good too.

LuvinThisPig and Amanda & Shmee like this.
  5. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, I appreciate the kind words coming from such an experienced member. I am very much leaning towards yes, but I am still soooo nervous about the whole thing... mostly travelling with him and leaving him there for a week to ten days. I cannot imagine... I would be really freaking out leaving him. But I know I would have to put on my big girl pants and do it since it would probably be the best thing for him. And they said I could visit every day which makes me feel better. Now figuring out if my work would let me take all that time off. This whole time I just assumed they would. I have worked there for ten years.. so they better!

I hope Pig (still agreed with Ville above - best name ever) continues to do well. :bighug: You have done such an incredible job with him.

6. LuvinThisPig

Thank you! He certainly lives up to the name! Just the other day I went to give him a slice of raw pork and I did not get my fingers back far enough and CHOMP! :eek: There was blood shed for that one, but it was my fault. He wanted that meat!!! ;)

Ville and JeffJ like this.
  7. LuvinThisPig

When I was discussing options with WSU for Pig's treatment, it was mentioned that there was a slight possibility that his tumor might not conform to their radiation beam. It was then mentioned that when that happens they keep the kitty for several weeks in order to do a fractioned protocol. I was TERRIFIED at the possibility and in fact, for us it would not have worked at all. There was no chance in hell I was going to leave him half way across the country. But, then I thought about it and decided that if that were to happen, I would just stay in WA for however long it took. Sometimes the choices we have to make for our fluffs is hard, but we make them anyways because we know its the right thing to do. You are making the right choice if and only if YOU feel it is the right choice. You know Schmee better than anyone.

Even while the idea of brain surgery, and even more so the recovery time, is terrifying, there are a lot of benefits to the surgery. Almost all the kitties who have it come off the table straight into remission. Which means no more destructive, rampant IGF-1 flooding through their bodies. Previously, I was told that they would need those pituitary supplements their whole life (especially if the gland is totally removed), but from the sound of it a few of their kitties are not even in need of them anymore...? That is actually really awesome news! I think the most important thing to any kitties recovery is knowing that you, as their beans, are there. Some may say they do not know the difference, but that is a lie. These Acro kitties are fighters and we care givers develop a special sort of bond with them. He knows you are in his corner and your support is what will get him through it. Love that man as much as you can! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  8. LuvinThisPig

Whelp... He decided to hop on that elevator... ugh. He will level out in a few cycles, I am sure. He has been wanting to do so on the 5th cycle of a new dose, so let's see if he will continue his trend and give me, at least, a small measure of predictability! ;)

9. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Yep, that is Leo too. Any lunch meat or chicken is Chomp time!:eek: Now I put it on a plate so my fingers stay whole.

"idea of brain surgery, and even more so the recovery time, is terrifying"
    One of our friends had brain surgery about 5 years ago. It was scary. But it was a tumor and there was no choice. From what I can tell, he is now just fine. If you get a competent human or pet surgeon, they will do the best they can. I hope that Shmee gets the treatment and recovers well.

On the Leo front - no real news. The boys are just trying to stay cool these days from the Texas and Oklahoma heat.

10. LuvinThisPig

And on this you are so totally right. Brain surgery is scary because, well, its brain surgery. However, there are probably thousands performed every day by competent surgeons that turn out amazingly well! For them to offer to do this $20,000 surgery! :eek: I do not think there is anyone who could pass that up!

Oh my goodness it is soooo HOT! But, other than my electric bill, I am not complaining. I love the heat! Seriously.. I run a heater at work in the summer time because they crank the AC too much! I lived in Vegas before the OK, so naturally, the heat is my jam. However, the boys did not so they do not care for it. I keep the AC pretty high for them and just run around in sweats...

I bet when your boys go outside they just loaf around in it!! Poor guys... they probably feel like they are melting!

JeffJ likes this.
  11. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

The boys just beg, beg, beg to go outside. Then they usually just lay down on the concrete 6 feet from the back door - doing nothing except getting chompitated by mosquitoes. The summer Texas bird = mosquitoes. I think they are mostly from goober neighbors around here with potted plants collecting water. Or bird baths.

Then after 15 minutes I go and collect the boys. Leo puts up a small fuss. Little Dude makes big whiney and "chuff" noises, then he comes inside too. I don't know what the big deal is about laying on that back porch getting their blood drained.

At least my pool if finally warm - almost 90 degrees today. I usually get more exercise cleaning it all year long!:eek:
    Little Dude and Leo chillin - 07-20-2018c.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  12. LuvinThisPig

The looks on these two's face right here... :woot:o_O

I can just here LD now... This chuffing protest is what Pig does when I do not feed him his previously deemed appropriate amount... :rolleyes: He fell in love with Raw Pork cutlets and I swear, he would eat the whole sow in one setting if I let him. A pig for a pig of a Pig... :facepalm:

JeffJ likes this.
  13. LuvinThisPig

Jeez... You would not even think I was an English major and VP of Sigma Tau. My fingers out pace my brain when I type and I never proof for errors.. lol. Sorry Jeff...

Ville and JeffJ like this.
  14. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Nice report for Pig! Glad he is doing better. And my boys love raw pork too. :joyful: Glad I just saw the Salmonella outbreak report that Jill posted on Thursday for raw turkey. I might avoid turkey for a while.......

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  15. LuvinThisPig

Yes! I know a lot of people do fowl and really, Pig loves it. But, he does not fair well on it at all, especially chicken. I have heard that the meat that effected the two pets was from a particular commercial raw (not RadCat), but I can't remember which one. They say that a kitties gut can handle things like that and that beans should now worry about it, buuuut… I would do exactly the same. Why take the risk when there are other proteins? I recently threw out god knows how many dollars of Venison meat because of the Radagast recall.. It was likely fine, but not a gamble I was willing to take.. I tend to agree with you, err on the side of caution.

How is sweet Bubs doing today?? School has me so busy it is hard to keep up with everyone! His face always reminds me of my Tail.. :cat:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  16. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I'm not worried about typos on the forum, this stuff isn't permanent anyhow.

We really got lucky with Little Dude. Some cats are almost buds. Leo was mostly buds with Scoobs (GA 2016). However, with Little Dude, those guys are big time bonded. It is great. We know this stuff doesn't last, but I think Little Dude's companionship really has helped Leo stay active and healthy. Every time they get fed:
    - the bowls get set next to each other
    - they walk to the bowls, LD on the left, Leo on the right (every single time)
    - both of them look at the bowl for the other one "What's he getting that I'm not getting?":eek::confused:
    - then eating time

I think Tail is probably good for Pig too, in the same way.

LizzieInTexas and LuvinThisPig like this.
  17. LuvinThisPig

Oh yes! Most certainly so! At the very least, Tail irritates Pig and Pig chases him, so that is some activity! They will lay on the bed together, but rarely snuggle. Pig is far to dignified to act like that. Except, as soon as Tail makes those wailing noises while he gets a bath, Pig starts freaking out. Once Tail is out he will run to him and groom him dry, because you know... wet cats.

I feed them much the same way, but I cannot let them eat side by side because Pig will devour his brother's food as well. Instead, they both walk together into the bedroom and Pig calmly watches me put down Tails food then runs to his bowl in the living room. I have to be able to keep a door between their meals because Pig is a pig! :p

JeffJ likes this.
  18. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

So, tonight, I cooked the 1 lb of turkey in the slow cooker for 2 hours. Let it cool and added the EZcomplete from FoodforLife. The boys LOVED it cooked! But, I have to say that their 2 AM feeding is Fancy Feast chicken or turkey because momma is too tired in the middle of my sleep to deal with raw. They are getting one of their 6 feedings in a 24 hour with Fancy Feast. But, I am glad they will eat cooked since I have some turkey in the freezer.

I get my ground raw from a local butcher with no AB's and no steroids added. It's a lot cheaper than doing the RadCat or any other commercial frozen raw cat food.

JeffJ and LuvinThisPig like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.