Pig 7/02 amps 136; +5 135; +8 100; +10 107 ? Big Questions ?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LuvinThisPig, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

Yesterday's

Okay. So, I said yesterday that there is something going on with Pig and I am not sure what it is. Well, today something happened and I am not really sure what to make of it. I did have a lengthy conversation with his vet, but wanted to toss around ideas here.

So, he has been acting like he is looking for something. I am now convinced that he is looking for something to quell nausea. He is still hydrated and has an appetite for days. But, well... Let me say what happened.

When I got home from work I was preparing his food and he was moving about, anxiously crying for food. Well, he moved about just so that he had poo falling from his butt. Okay. So, normally this is not a huge thing because he will get LPD when he is constipated and owing to the decreased nerve functioning back there this happens a lot. No worries there. He has done this his whole life.

What worries me is what it looked like. It was a good color. Not too dark or light. But, it was encapsulated by a yellowy / orangey goo? Almost like an oil or liquid??? His vet seems to think it is a flare of colitis. She said I was doing everything right, but that the AB must have thrown off the balance. I tend to agree, but I am out of my league here. I have never seen anything like it.

The searching must be for nausea from this. He also had a bit of the acid tummies this morning and threw up some frothy spittle. This is a massive sign of a colon flare. Actually, this was the first thing I learned about IBD a few years ago when I looked it up.

For now, his vet said to do this:

1) A soothing reparative (sort of re-start) diet for his digestive tract. So, I purchased the best cut of pork I could find (tenderloin back-strap) that was vacuum packed and 100% natural, no sodium or solution added. I poached that and blended it and the water it was cooked in and am feeding that for a little while.

2) Continue with the SEB

3) Finish the round of AB

I have pics of the poo if that will help. I just reserved the urge to post in light of queasiness.. :)

@Wendy&Neko @Sienne and Gabby (GA)

2. LuvinThisPig

IBD Facebook group concurs that it is irritation. So, colitis it is. That is new. I guess we can say that he is full blown IBD now... :( Time to get very, very serious about our raw regimen.

The group says I am doing all things right. It must be the AB that is causing the flare...

JeffJ likes this.
  3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. I guess Pig has had these issues for awhile. I'm guessing the old pics are probably close enough...plus I just ate a snack. Are you sure you are not studying for an abdominal or proctology degree???:eek::D

I'm glad we were able to help with Shmee tonight. Acro is a hard diagnosis, but I think there are more options now. And the disease is better understood.

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  4. LuvinThisPig

I wish this picture looked like the last one... :( It was actually pretty scary. It is not often, anymore, that I lose my cool with what is going on with him, but I certainly lost my cool today... Should have heard me demanding to speak to his vet immediately on the phone... :oops: She is so amazing, though.. Never skips a beat and always, always gets back with me. She has lost money on us, I am sure... She never charges for phone consults and we have a lot. I owe her so very much and count myself blessed to have such an amazing and caring vet!

I agree. With all that I have going on it is sometimes hard for me to stop in on other's posts. I read them when I can. Like when I am on break at work, but I hate posting on my phone... But. I know the fear with a new Acro dx and I hope no one ever has to be scared about that again. At least on this board. There is so much new information and ground breaking treatments... It is not a end all diagnosis anymore. I will do all I can to change that.

JeffJ likes this.
  5. LuvinThisPig

@JeffJ Did Scoobs' front legs really shake when he was sitting down?? This is exactly a Pig thing and it helps to know he is not alone... Did a vet ever give you a reason for it??

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry, I am not much help on the poo. Fortunately wonky poo is not something I have had to deal with at home.:p Though I did see it at the shelter, including the orange look which also resulted in a colitis diagnosis. I hope Pig feels better soon. :bighug:

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  7. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Yes, when Scoobs was sitting on his butt, with his back legs on the floor - almost all the time his front legs had the shakes. We adopted Scoobs as a neighborhood stray in 2009. Then probably by 2012 I noticed it. And he died pretty suddenly on July 1, 2016 - two years ago. He was such a good boy. I still miss him a lot.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/tribute-to-duma.162074/

I remember him well. His front legs were quite shaky in the last few years he was with us.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  8. LuvinThisPig

Actually, this helps a ton. You are the third person today to give consensus... So, now to figure this one out.. Someone is suggesting an MCT, but I have read that MCTs causing liver issues... Lactulose was also suggested, but is this not a sugar derivative? What would that look like with his numbers??

9. LuvinThisPig

Duma.. Swahili, I believe, for Cheetah.. Correct? I am sorry he is gone. Even being two years ago does not make it any easier. :(

10. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm glad it helps. It did not seem to affect his overall health. Scoobs died from cancer or from an ingested poison.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  11. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Yes, Theresa named him after Cheetah. It is hard losing a kitteh. He used to walk with Theresa and the dogs. The whole neighborhood knew about it when he was gone. My sweet Scoobs.:(

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

I have seen kitties here on Lactulose, and i don't think it impacted BG's. Different form of sugar I believe. Regardless, if he needs a particular med, we work the dose around it.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  13. LuvinThisPig

Okay. This would be the second time it has been suggested to me, but his vet seemed hesitant. I will discuss it with her in the morning. Sometimes it feels like he is on sooooo many medications...

14. LuvinThisPig

He has both pooped and peed in the last 2 hours. I find this encouraging. Acro was hard... But, this? This is far harder.

JeffJ likes this.
  15. LuvinThisPig

Interesting notation on Lactulose... Here

Dyana likes this.
  16. LuvinThisPig

@Wendy&Neko do you know if we combine the use of lactulose with MiraLax as they both work the same way???

17. Wendy&Neko

Sorry, not in my knowledge base. Maybe ask the question in the Feline Health forum?

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  18. LuvinThisPig

I will do this! Thank you!

19. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Miralax works by drawing fluid from other parts of the body into the colon. Lactulose does the same thing Whether they do this by differing mechanisms -- that I can't tell you. If your vet doesn't know, a pharmacist may.

Are you adding a probiotic to Pig's food? In managing Gizmo's IBD, he gets a probiotic daily. I use ReNew Ultimate. He's not had any flares and I'm using the probiotic prophylactically. (I give him 1/4 of a capsule x2 per day mixed into his food.) Gizmo has done very well on a raw diet.

Since Pig is still taking an AB, you want to put at least 30 min (maybe more?) between the AB and the probiotic.

One other thought -- fish is a common allergen for cats. If you are switching to novel proteins, you may need to stop the fish oil. It could be a source of the some of the GI issues.

20. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

love light and healing:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.