Pig 7/30 amps 113; +2 167

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LuvinThisPig, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

Yesterday's

Well, so far he seems tolerable to the lamb, but we have done lamb before a few months ago. I worry that it is so lean and will constipate him, but I will keep an eye on it. His digestion has been amazing for a few months, random bouts of colitis and plant eating aside. Fingers crossed that the lamb will work for him.

His appetite has been insatiable as of late. I mean, really bad. However, I do think I have decided that it is less a medical side-effect and more of a "I'm a spoiled kitty and my Moms is home..." He does not behave this way when I am at work. Not to mention, Tail taught him some of his passive aggressive moves and now Pig will get on the counter and push stuff off. It is a wonder our jar of GLM and enzymes has not broke. Now that I say this, a water bottle just crashed to the floor... :rolleyes:

I have got to try to get video of this for you guys, because it is quite entertaining.. and distracting.

He may not hold this 10u for very long, either. That or it will be about the perfect # I need.. We shall see as he settles into it..

Ville and JeffJ like this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Naughty boy! It took a while before Neko's appy eased off after SRT. She even bit a finger from a fellow FDMB member who was giving her a treat. :eek::oops: And that was something like 10 months after SRT.

A couple questions from yesterdays post. First, why only Cerenia every other day? Neko got it daily when she needed it. Second, just a comment, SCL does not increase the dose needed, Neko had that on her resume too. And on more thing, lamb is a fatty meat, don't worry about it being lean.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Yes, TWO naughty boys trying to get Mom's attention. Those are not good tricks PIG!

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Who comes into our homes and teach these kitties to do these passive aggressive tricks? Bubba's aggressiveness is taken out on Momma during the night in the form of hogging my pillow and biting on the buttons of my pajamas. Or, if I leave earrings on, he'll bite and pull them. He has actually pulled a hoop earring out of my ear! He can be just relentless. :eek:

LuvinThisPig, Idjit's mom and JeffJ like this.
  5. LuvinThisPig

Okay. I just assumed (probably should not have... :oops:) that something like that would effect BGs...

Regarding the Cerenia, I have been giving it about 4-5 days at a time if needed. But, my vet had said it was a really good medication, but only if they take a break from it. She suggested giving it 4-5 days and then take a week off. Maybe she was thinking I would give it everyday, even if he did not appear nauseous... He has been doing excellent in this regard the past few days so I did not give it today...

And really!? I thought lamb was lean! :eek: At least, that is what my Moms told me... I'm not a big meat eater myself... Only the occasional sausage or two, so I know almost nothing about it... :oops:

6. LuvinThisPig

No... No they are not. Actually, that was why he was on top of the water heater the other day.... Trying to get into the cupboards above it. Guess he was going to get his own dang food...

I'm sorry I asked that about the SCL... I had no idea it did not impact numbers... I dId not mean to be insensitive... :oops:

7. LuvinThisPig

Omg... Bubba must be Tail's brother from another mother! :eek: He does these things too!! He likes to nip my calves if I don't move fast enough with food... And he will nip my feet until I get out of bed. Plus, he likes to grab my shirts and stuff and pull up on them with his mouth and then shake his head like a dog... Lost many a good clothes this way. Done this stuff since he was a kitten!

Poor guys! Your Bubba is quite the chracter! I can't believe he ripped an earing out! Ouch!!!!

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  8. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I'm not offended at all Sarah. I don't know which comment you had. When Leo first got SCL we were terrified. It turns out that many kittehs respond well to chemo - and Leo has. Ever since diagnosis, Leo gets daily prednisolone in the morning. This drives up his BG. So I compensate with the extra insulin in his morning dose.

If others are reading this, SCL is not always "automatically" resolved by chemo. Unfortunately our vet tech's kitteh died last year, 2 or 3 months after SCL diagnosis. The chemo did not resolve the SCL for that kitteh.

We are lucky. Leo is at a current peak of health right now. Eating, purring, pretty regulated, playful. It's great!:bighug:

9. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

It does sound like Tail and Bubba are from the same Mother!! I have holes in a lot of clothing as well from Bubba! And very lucky that the hoop earing released and opened up instead of ripping my ear.

Remind me why, do we love these guys????

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  10. LuvinThisPig

Because they are cute and cuddly and full of fluffy fluffs... :p

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  11. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Your vet is out of date with current dosing on Cerenia. It used to be recommended to be given only short term for dogs. A longer explanation here on Tanya's site. It is contraindicated for kitties with liver issues but otherwise OK for every day.

As for SCL, gut issues seem to be common with our acros. It's good to have the discussion. I belong to a SCL group where the IM vet posting there says he has one kitty in his clinic who has been in remission for 9 years. 5 years is common, giving the right chemo protocol. My civvie Theo (GA) also had SCL and was in remission for over a year before another cancer got him.

LuvinThisPig and JeffJ like this.
  13. LuvinThisPig

And this is the most amazing of all!

I know you guys go through a lot (have been through a lot) with Leo, but he makes it all just worth it I am sure. I can only imagine how fearful you both must have been after finding the SCL. I know I would be, but your are right. I have heard that many kitties do very well with chemo. It just all sounds so scary...

14. LuvinThisPig

Thank you for this! I will read up on it. While I really like my vet and am very, very loyal to her, she is a bit dated on somethings I have noticed. However, on others she is far ahead of the curve. I think it is a matter of balancing the formal training with the newer research. She is open to new ideas, absolutely so, but it seems the things she has not had to deal with in her practice are where she is a little outdated. Of course, Pig is working to update her resume.. :p But, I will never say a bad word against her. She really is a fabulous vet and will go a million miles to help her patients. Which, sometimes is far more valuable than all the knowledge. Vetting him over the phone for free is a good example. She really is fabulous. Pig nor I would be here today if it were not for her.

I do fear this, I will not lie. That has a lot to do with why I am trying to be so aggressive in controlling and managing his diet. I would prefer to avoid this if at all possible, but to hear that chemo is very well tolerated, and with a decent margin of success, relaxes some of my fears over the idea.

15. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

For Leo, he had the major eating issues in spring 2017. The feeding tube didn't resolve them. Then we had full biopsies done (open abdomen) to determine the SCL. Another route to take if there are big gut issues - is to treat as if there is SCL without the biopsies. This is not yet the case with Pig.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  16. LuvinThisPig

No. You are totally right. He has no problem eating anyting and everything his mouth can fit around... :rolleyes:

JeffJ likes this.
  17. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Nice start!

18. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I hope Pig continues to have a great hunger. That is an easier issue to fix than abdominal issues like SCL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.