(PMPS 176) +1=127 +2=130 +3=135 +4.5=134 +7=177

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sweet Spot, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

My apologies for posting a separate thread (please mods feel free to delete when the "time" has passed).

Here is TODAY'S CONDO

So I "jokingly" said I knew this would happen......but really? Come on!

So here are the dilemmas:

• Spot's PMPS is in 30 minutes
    • We were supposed to leave right after PMPS and shoot, for an actual grown up night out (will be gone, and far from home, for 3-4 hours)
    • We have never shot a blue but did work up courage to shoot anything not below 150...well he is not below 150....so we WOULD SHOOT.
    • However, he hasn't officially started coming up yet today - so you can see that shooting a blue, even if we were home tonight, would be a little scary.
    • Now combine that with shooting a blue and then going out!

We said, without question, if he was in the green or plummeting downward, we would definitely cancel our plans. But now we could be overreacting.

We have a pretty flexible lifestyle with time......what about shooting when we get home and slowly backing up 15 minutes for like....forever?

Should we shoot when he hasn't come up yet today anyway?

Thanks so much.........our social life (huge lack thereof) is depending on your input, haha!
    Robin and Jim

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

For the sake of your social life, and your sanity, you might consider doing two 18 hour cycles......shoot tonight at +18 (your normal +6), then skip the AM dose and shoot on time tomorrow night

Can you stall tonight at all or if you do will you miss out on your chance to go out?

3. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

for you sanity, you certainly can wait and shoot when you return....
    if you want.
    that is an additional option....

4. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

You'll be gone 3-4 hours....I would stall until I get home.

5. Chris & China (GA)

I think I'd do the 18 hour cycles instead of shooting 3-4 hours late, but of course that's your choice entirely!

It just seems like it would take a long time to work your way back to your "chosen" shot times adjusting 15 minutes per cycle or 30 minutes per day....if you shoot 4 hours late, that's going to take over a week to get back on your normal shooting schedule

6. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

You are all so amazing!!!!! Just stepped away for a few and was so touched by all of the replies!!!! Hope you don't mind the group "thank you" -
    We have withheld his food (are getting an earful and "the stare") and have a "little time" - can be fashionably late but maybe 30 more minutes...it is quite a drive.

So it seems like the 18 hour might be the best....BUT....do you think he is "done" going down yet, in your experience?

I know that is probably why Chris asked about stalling a bit.........to see if he goes up again or is continuing downward?

A million thanks again!!

7. Chris & China (GA)

Exactly!!!

8. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

Enjoy your evening!

9. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

Thanks, Chris..........ok, so we are due for his true 12 hour right now........will do that, then decide to be fashionably late and stall a bit more - cancel - shoot later or 18hr, etc...will post in 5-10 minutes what his PMPS is......thx again!

10. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

One more question while we wait......please.......

If we weren't going out tonight - if that was never an issue - would you recommend stalling just a little to see if he is coming back up? Not that his numbers aren't ok to shoot....but what is new to us is that we aren't seeing the rise yet. Is it typically best to wait (stall) just a little bit until you see the numbers coming up a hair or two when newer to blue plus all of his extra baggage (coming off bounce, new dose increase, NDW)?

11. Chris & China (GA)

If you weren't going out, I'd probably encourage you to go ahead and shoot the scheduled dose as long as you had plenty of supplies, strips and could test as long as necessary

He's not dropping fast, and he actually was lower earlier (161) then went up to 176 and is just slowly dropping now.....this could very well be what we call a "double dip".....Lantus is famous for that

They drop to wherever at nadir, then go up...then drop back down at PMPS time (but usually not lower than nadir)....with him being so close in numbers though, I think the double dip idea could very well be what's going on

Remember that each test can be up to 20% off due to the variance in the meter....he's actually been pretty flat all afternoon

12. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

Ok - decision made...................please tell us what you think.
    You are going to think we are crazy, but we decided to cancel. It's OK..........
    We are actually going to visit family at their cabin Monday - Wednesday (with Spot, of course).....he likes it there, no stress.......
    Shooting our first blue in a number we are comfortable with, while we can watch him, is important.

We decided to trade our evening to shoot this blue that is above 150 (our comfort zone for the first time) and stay with him, keep him safe. Maybe we will get one paw closer to regulation, so that we can have some more grown up nights in the future. Our anniversary is one week from tonight, so unless Spot has other plans, we will make a night of it then.

So his PMPS is 176......a little rise.......time to shoot? (you know I am a nervous wreck....)

13. Chris & China (GA)

As long as you're fully supplied and ready to take the plunge, I'll tell you what @Marje and Gracie told us the first time

SHOOOOOOT!!!!!!!

14. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

Hahaha!!

Thanks Chris...........we just cracked open the nice, warm Chicken Classic FF and are letting him eat - then we are going to shooooooot!

Everyone who chimed in, thanks so much. I know it seems a little nuts to cancel but if you've followed us at all, you know that we were never ready to shoot blue. This is his first blue above 150 and when we skip, we take a bunch of steps backwards.

Spot wanted us home tonight - he wins.......he ALWAYS wins :cat::banghead:

15. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

well.... maybe... he'll keep doing better and better and you'll get lots of nights to go out....
    paws crossed....

16. Chris & China (GA)

Make sure to get a +1 and +2 tonight.....it's a lot easier to intervene early if he has any surprises up his sleeve than to try to play catch up if he decide to take a dive

Please edit your subject line and keep it updated with the latest test numbers too for those of us that will be trying to watch out!

17. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

You are so right!! Here's to Spot's health and possibly some evenings out in our future!

18. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Spot, spot, spot - you are lucky to have an understanding partner
    I hope Spot has a nice normal cycle and you don't have too exciting a night tonight!!

19. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

Chris - will do - absolutely.........

Leaving the laptop open on the table and will definitely get a +1, +2 and more........and will post them in this title so you know how he is doing. So sweet to know that on your own Friday evenings, you are keeping an eye on things and keeping us safe as we take this step........

20. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

Now that is a dedicated bean! Sometimes the timing just doesn't work in your favor. I think you will get some valuable insight into how Spot reacts to shooting a lower number. It also helps you get more comfortable with doing it. He will have few hours plus some food before the insulin starts kicking in and that should help bring him up a bit more. I know I was nervous the firs time as well, and when I get to that point again will still be nervous, you are not alone at all being a little apprehensive doing it the first few times.

Good luck and tell Spot to behave and not throw any surprises your way!

21. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

Thank you Carol and Murphy!
    Yes, let's hope we all get some sleep tonight (but sure I will have one eye open all night, as I am sure you all have experienced).......
    The nice thing about our modest sized rv is that we are all really in close proximity (we hear him, feel him move around (on my legs in bed, of course)....so that makes us feel a little safer tonight

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  22. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

Thanks for your sweet post.......and maybe I could bribe Jack to tell Spot to behave? Doesn't work for us, haha..............

23. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

That was a very loving, generous choice to make, skipping your night out for Spot. :cat: I hope you can have a special dinner together at home tonight, and Spot will let you go out on your anniversary.

Congratulations on shooting. I agree it was a good choice.

Next time, all you need to do in this situation is go to the first post of your existing condo and change the subject line to reflect your issue (use the Thread Tools button in the upper right hand corner). Add the ? icon and you'll get the eyes you want. Then, when you have enough input, you can change the subject line back.

24. Chris & China (GA)

If you were supposed to go out Friday night, you're already late....I'm pretty sure it's Saturday.....LOL

25. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

I was going to point that out too, but the comment was so nice I restrained myself. ;)

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  26. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

Tricia,
    Thank you for explaining how to do it in the future...........great to know.........makes perfect sense, to just change the title and put it back later....I will figure this stuff out eventually! As for our upcoming anniversary, we do have visions of the THREE of us sitting at a restaurant together next week :confused:

27. Chris & China (GA)

Hey...I had to check the date on my computer to make sure I hadn't skipped a day in there somewhere!!....and yes, it was a lovely comment and very much appreciated!!

That's what we do here....we "pay it forward"....someone stayed up and watched after us when we first shot low...it's only right that we should help out now!

28. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

That is so funny! My husband pointed that out, too, while we were sitting here! It has felt like a Friday ALL DAY but you will be happy to know that tonight was the night we were supposed to go out.......how hilarious.........my brain hurts!

29. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Congrats on shooting your first Blue! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

30. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Okay, your staying home. No reason you can't make tonight an at home date night...........just saying.

31. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

Thank you, Bobbie! We are a bit more like :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: around here!

32. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

Oh yes.............Jim and I have thought of stretching out in bed and watching a movie - something we actually don't do too often - and just relaxing........and then it hits us, it looks more like this on the pillows: jimSPOTrobin

33. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Yay! Nice number for your PMPS! Surf safely Spot!:cool::cool:

I am sorry you missed your night out. :bighug:

34. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

35. Chris & China (GA)

How good of an eater is Spot?

Will he eat pretty much anytime food is offered or is he a more "delicate" eater?

36. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

He loves to eat but we call it snacking......we can probably entice him to have a snack every hour (we just did that now - opened up a new can, not because his bowl is empty, but he can't resist the sounds/ritual and taste of a new can)...but didn't eat tons, if that makes sense

37. Chris & China (GA)

I think if we asked everyone here, they'd say the same thing!! China can't resist that "first spoonful" of a new can either!!

It's good that he's willing to eat if you offer it....I would have expected him to go up a little at +1 from his PM feeding, but he dropped, so it may be an exciting evening

You did exactly what I would have suggested anyway...give him a teaspoon or two of low carb food and test again at +2

38. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

+ 2 130 - and followed by the ritual again....and he ate amazingly well actually.......will do a +3....having such an "amazing" date night here, might just stay up all night! Pass the popcorn!

39. Chris & China (GA)

That's GREAT!!!

Surf safely tonight Spot....and you might want to give mama and daddy some "private time"....they're having an awesome date night!! ;)

40. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

+3 135
    Really happy so far (getting a tad groggy here but you all know that story)...
    Only irrational fear at this point is we are keeping the ball in the air, so to speak, with hourly snacks.........sure hope he is a good little surfer....it is his first time surfing, ya know.....

41. Chris & China (GA)

I think he's looking great!!!

I think you could wait and test again at +5......Most cats will come looking for food if they drop too low

Maybe take turns with DH...one gets a nap and the other stays up with Spot

42. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Way to go, Spot!

43. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

Thanks Chris (and my pal Osha, of course).......
    We ended staying up until 4.5 and got a 134..........still surfing thank goodness........going to catch some shut eye...........thanks for being there through this!

Osha and Chris & China (GA) like this.
  44. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

12 hours and counting in blue. How wonderful! :cool::cool:

45. Chris & China (GA)

He's looking fantastic!! It's 1:30 here so I'm going to have to bow out, but if you run into trouble, don't feel bad about using the 911 icon to get some help quickly!

Maybe @Wendy&Neko or @Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey can check in on you later

46. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry, I'm not up much longer - I was up at 4:30AM this morning. Spot's looking pretty flat, looks like he's doing well.

47. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

I'm here, but I don't think you'll need me. Glad it all worked out so well. Nice surfing, Spot! [​IMG]

48. Bobbie And Bubba

What a wonderful site to see!!!! :cool: Now you can turn those :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: into :cool: when presented with another blue pre-shot.

49. Lbwise

Lbwise Member

What a great thread.. so much support.. very helpful to someone who knows shooting there first blue will be terrifying... Thanks for all the info!

50. Bobbie And Bubba

And we will be there for you on your first blue too! ;):):cat:

Lbwise likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.