Quintus, retiree in Switzerland

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steph & Quintus & L & O, Dec 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Here is my old boy Quintus, soon to be 17. He emigrated from the UK to Switzerland a bit over five years ago for his retirement (he thought it would be better than India).
    [​IMG]
    He's had KCD (under control, early stage 2) for years, and bad arthritis (elbows mainly). He's blind from hypertension (now treated), roughly since a couple of years. In September I thought he was going downhill a bit, bloodwork and ultrasound showed pancreatitis and gallbladder thickening. He was treated, but stopped improving a month later. Pancreatitis was back, ultrasound showed it was worse (with suspicion of tumor), but gallbladder was better. Decided to treat the gallbladder again as the treatment has improved things, and started antibiotics for the pancreatitis. He's been going steadily uphill since, so chances of a cancerous tumour are lower by the day (or he'd be worse). He's still on antibiotics for the pancreatitis and meds for the gallbladder.

Mid-November I figured he was really drinking more than previously, had kidney and sugar values measured. Kidneys were "not bad at all" but glucose was 5mg/l. We started him on 1ui caninsulin SID, but switched to Lantus 10 days later as the curve was too steep. Since then his BG has been consistently high (see spreadsheet). He's still eating Purina Pro Plan NF kibble, which I've now understood is something I should change.

I've done a lot of homework and already had some useful discussions through the facebook group. Here are some extra elements (mix of information and open questions). Feel free to point me to useful treasures on the board!

- I live alone and work over an hour away, which means I leave home at 6.30 and get back at 6pm 4 days a week. I will occasionally come home later from work.
    - I will also occasionally have meetings right after work, getting home a handful of hours later.
    - I have helpful neighbours who can go and check in on Quintus to make sure he has eaten and seems OK, and even take him to the vet if needed (5 minutes away), but they won't be up to checking BD or giving insulin shots.
    - I can occasionally (when work permits) work from home for a day if needed (I did it 10 days ago so I could do his first BG curve)
    - Quintus has a history of soft stools with diet change (painful, blood an mucous in the mix). I've been relieved to finally get him back on NF kibble, which he likes and gives him good stools. Upon the diabetes diagnosis I initially gave him a mix of DM cans + NF pouches (had started him on them a day or two before as he was drinking so often). He had diarrhoea, which is a rather big problem as he tends to step in it, being blind. I was woken up one morning at 4 am by a foot full of cold wet poop in my face -- not an experience I want to repeat...
    - I've realised diet is important and I need to switch him. He likes the DM cans, which is good. My concerns are how to manage the switch given he is already on insulin and I'm not here much to monitor him -- and avoiding diarrhoea (I'm hoping the NF pouches were the main culprit, but can't be certain).
    - I'm using the Lantus pen for the time being but am tempted to switch to syringes. I know the community here recommends them for more subtle dosing and increases. I have 40ui/ml syringes (used for caninsulin) but won't be able to get the 100ui/ml ones until next week.
    - His ear-tips are starting to be covered in dried blood. Was thinking of cleaning with a warm damp cloth, but advice welcome!

Thanks for having me here and look forward to getting to know you.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! There is a lot going on with Quintus; he is fortunate to have you. The Main Health Forum is a better place for any questions you have. Regarding his ears, I wet the corner of a washcloth with very warm water and hold that to Mia's ear for a few seconds before the test (to warm the ear so it bleeds easier). Then, after I test, I use it to clean the area and hold it, applying very light pressure, for a few seconds to make sure the bleeding stops. I sometimes follow that up by applying a small bit of Neosporin ointment. Maybe you could try some, or all, of that. :cat:

3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Welcome to the group. And congratulations on helping Quintus achieve 17 years - he is a beautiful fluffy boy!

I also wash Leo's ear with a damp paper towel after each ear testing. He almost likes it. I said "almost".

I would recommend U100 syringes, as they are far more accurate for Lantus. You can just pull the insulin from the end. Do not inject air into the pen.

Agree with FurBabies - the Main Health subforum is the place for questions. It sounds like you have a good start with diabetes. We regularly request everyone to maintain a spreadsheet if they want help with dosing and blood glucose control.

4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Excellent choice, retiring to Switzerland, dear Quintus! How lucky you are. My cats' retirement plans simply include more sleeping in the sun. You are very handsome, and that picture somehow makes your tail look like a raccoon;)

I find that if I pinch a cotton pad firmly enough on both sides if Whisper's ear after testing, I _usually_ don't get a scab. But when I do, I usually just leave it and then a day later I can scrape it off easily with my thumbnail.

But mostly, I just wanted to say Welcome, and we are glad you are here.

Best,
    Sandi&Whisper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.