Raffy with new Vet

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Gurkan&Raffy, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gurkan&Raffy

Gurkan&Raffy Member

Good afternoon/ evening to all.
    Last friday we ve had our first visit with new VET.
    Short summary of the visit, blood work is %80 good, lots of tartar at tooth, and infection at canine teeth roots. Right now he is taking antibiotics for 15 days.
    Our dose is 18u since yesterday. And planning to increase every 6 cycle.
    Have a nice week....

2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Poor baby. Any chance you are going to be able to get the teeth cleaned and extractions done if necessary? Teeth issues are known for being a contributor to diabetes.

I hope the AB takes care of the infection. Glad for the 80%. :bighug:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  3. Gurkan&Raffy

Gurkan&Raffy Member

He made tooth cleaning. :)

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  4. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Hope you like the new vet and that those teeth get fixed up soon. Any luck finding more Levemir?

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Glad the visit with the new vet went well. Is the vet planning on doing anything other than antibiotics for the gum infection?
    If you see nothing but numbers above 300, you can increase by 2 units at a time, every 4 cycles. Slow down the increases to every 6 cycles when you see yellow. Note to any lurkers, this is advice for Gurkan only, as Raffy has been switched to Lantus and is playing catch up on his dose.

6. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Just keep making steps in the right direction. Good luck.

Gurkan&Raffy likes this.
  7. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck on the dose increases, we did same for Titan till he came out of the black/Red's under Wendy's tutilage. Hope the cleaning and antibiotics do the trick .

8. Gurkan&Raffy

Gurkan&Raffy Member

Actually i could not have any free time for a pharmacy visit. These days i am flying more than birds :)

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  9. Gurkan&Raffy

Gurkan&Raffy Member

He said, he ll try to fix infection problem with antibiotics, but if he can not ; Mr. Raffy will lose 2 of his Canine teeth:( , i hope he will not.

The new Vet made lots of test, but two of them results arrived this afternoon.

T4 thyroid and Fructosamine. We were sure about fructo. , but T4 was surprising, it was high as well.

Wednesday afternoon, we will have an one more visit to the Vet.....

10. Wendy&Neko

What was the T4 value? Feel free to post your lab results here. We have some people who are good at interpreting. Of course, it helps if they aren't in Turkish. :)

Neko almost lost one of her teeth, when she had a red gum line. Turns out the soft tissue growth from acromegaly meant that one of her canines was rubbing against the gum below. The vet shaved her caninetooth back a bit so it didn't rub, so she didn't lose a tooth. You might want to mention to the vet to be on the lookout for problems that are caused by soft tissue growth, not bad teeth.

11. Gurkan&Raffy

Gurkan&Raffy Member

Here is the link of the Lab Results.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rtb1ANEbvzIIJzVwx0Qk9BfBGBIBUBnK

But sorry about the rotation of the document.
    :)

12. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

When I click on the link it shows "You need permission".

13. Gurkan&Raffy

Gurkan&Raffy Member

Now it is all free...

14. Wendy&Neko

I can see the document. What are the vet's plans to address the high T4? Hyperthyroidism can make it harder to regulate a cat. I would expect some more blood tests first, then possibly medicine. If he starts medicine for the thyroid, I would slow down the Lantus increases.

15. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

If you do start medicine for the hyperthyroidism, please start super low because Raffy's T4 isn't very high.

16. Gurkan&Raffy

Gurkan&Raffy Member

We ll see him again on Thursday or Friday...
    High dose-insulin resistance, tooth problems ,Hyperthyroidism ....... Muti channel cat :)
    I hope we ll solve these one by one.

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  17. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Yum had high T4 for a while and the vet wanted to start meds. I didn't want to medicate her for something that she might not have. I wanted to do the scan first to image the tumor and get a definite diagnosis. I took a while researching everything and her T4 went down to normal levels. She doesn't have hyperthyroidism.

18. Gurkan&Raffy

Gurkan&Raffy Member

Wendy, tomarrow i ll get Levemir .
    So should i switch to LEV or continue with Lantus?

19. Wendy&Neko

If you think you can keep on with Levemir, I would get it. It seems to be better for high dose cats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.