Recently diagnosed, stressed out momma

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Aveira Paterson, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aveira Paterson

Aveira Paterson New Member

Hi there, Im Renee and my sugar cats name is Whitepaw. Im a mom of 3 humans, 2 cats (1 sugar 1 not) and 1 dog.
    Whitepaw was diagnosed a month ago after bringing him to the vet for weightloss. He used to be a chunker and was very boney when we brought him in. I didnt even really think of the other symptoms (excess drinking, excess peeing) until the vet mentioned something.

She said he was sitting at 19, which isnt as bad as she has seen, but not good. Instructed me to feed him a special diabetic diet, give 2ui morning and night, feed only twice a day 15 mins before giving shots, bring him back in 4-6 weeks for a curve, and every few months to check his levels.

I of course panicked and researched. Being a mom of 3, struggling to find a job the idea of having an extra 200+ a month to spend scared me. I found the Feline Diabetes on FB and figured Id try the Fancy Feast Pate, and ordered my own blood monitor.

Blood monitor came last night, had to figure out how to get it working and started his spreadsheet this morning which is a task all on its own. He started off ok at 6.3 20 mins after eating this morning, but within 2 hours has spiked to 17.3.

And so here I sit, confused on if I should give him a shot or not because if I do that means next shot wouldnt be til 10pm. I dont know how to dose him based on his levels. He seemed to be doing better, gaining some weight back, annoying us for food, and now..... hes just sad. And I dont know how to fix it.

So, thats us.

2. Sylvia Sheaffer

Sylvia Sheaffer Member

17.3 is not his glucose, is it?

3. Aveira Paterson

Aveira Paterson New Member

Thats what the monitor showed. Or 310ish. My monitor reads in mmol.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

There is a thread on Health where we have touched on some of Aveira's questions HERE.

5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Waving to you from central Ontario. Welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.