Rom 09/23 AMBG 119 +5 218 +4 119 +7 142 PMPS 187 +6 59 +11 178

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sue484, Sep 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Oooooh......nice......
    (Touch-wood/anti-jinx ;) )

Sue484 and Critter Mom like this.
  3. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Oh well. At least I know I can shoot something when he is that low at AMPS. +5 he is 12.1 (218) so the sitters gave 1.5 units. I think I will shoot him tonight at +10 and then will be back on track tomorrow morning.

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Well, theoretically, in hindsight - you could have done today; but if Rom continues to improve then the situation may be different next time. His BG might not go up...
    That was a really long run for Caninsulin, and may well indicate that his pancreas was able to 'pick up the ball and run with it' for a while, before getting tired. And if that's the case you may well see those periods increase in length. You might also observe that his BG drops after being given a small amount of food.

Bertie has an on/off pancreas. And when he gets a low preshot I usually have no way of knowing whether he will go up or down from that point.
    In the past I'd have given him insulin at preshots of around 8.5 and above (human meter). But these days he can - if his pancreas is having a good day - drop himself from 9 to around 5 or 6 just by being given food (and he sometimes stays in normal numbers for several days without insulin). So, if I'm home, I give him a snack after a low preshot and then wait an hour or so to see what has happened. If his BG goes up I give insulin based on the preshot number (we use sliding scale dosage). If his BG goes down he gets nothing...well, except a cuddle... [​IMG]

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Thanks Eliz. I might have to start doing that with Rom if he continues like this. Thanks for the idea.

I love that emoji - where did you get it?

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Sue484 likes this.
  7. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Wow. They are great! Why were they never transferred over? There's even a trampolining cat. I could have done with that for Frankie!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

My other half just got home so I asked him to get a reading and feed him just out of curiousity to see if his pancreas is working (£10 says it's not!!) Anyway, 4 hours after his shot (+9 on spreadsheet) he is down to 6.6 (119). I will be home to test in about 2 hours so watch this space @Elizabeth and Bertie!!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

+7 (PMPS on spreadsheet) he is 7.9 (142) :cool:

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

So I shot him at PM +3 on the spreadsheet and he was 10.4 (187) +6 3.3 (59) and +11 9.9 (178).

11. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Just got an email saying you responded to this thread @Elizabeth and Bertie but it doesn't appear here!!!! Anyway, Rom is fine, thank you. I am keeping him in today just to keep checking how he is responding. He is not happy!!!

12. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Sue, great to see Rom doing so well.

I think you need to look at dosing very carefully. That 1.5IU looks too high to me; 3.3 Alphatrak is clinically hypoglycaemic and is a strong indicator that a dose reduction is needed.

Mogs

Sue484 likes this.
  13. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Thanks Mogs. You really are a marvel, still looking out for others when you are feeling so heart sore right now. Yes I am watching him carefully this weekend. I will try 1 unit (on VetPen and don't have syringes....yet!)

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.