I am living in Spain and there is not a lot of resources/things available like in other parts of the world so it makes things more difficult with getting Sabrina the help she needs. I guess I'll provide some background first but I'll try not to get too off track and I'll fill in details as I go. Due to current financial hardship I was unable to take Sabrina to the vet back about a month or so ago when I first noticed her obsession with water. She was always fascinated by water, she loved splashing in water bowls, playing in the sink or shower. She's always loved water. I've had her since she was a kitten, she will be 15 in a few months. But around Christmas I thought her usual water fascination was extreme. Over the past few weeks I noticed she was drinking excessive amounts. I also noticed the strange walk. I suspected she was diabetic and I knew I had to take her to get looked at but I did not have the funds to get her tested right then and there. A friend loaned me the money, which I got yesterday morning. I took Sabrina to the vet right away and the vet on duty was somebody I had never met before. I heard there was a new vet at the clinic. I've been going there for 12 years and the vets come and go every couple of years. She never met me or Sabrina before. She did a urine test and took blood and also did a strip test. Her BG was 325. Sabrina's weight is very low. She was always a thin cat and all this time she was eating, drinking, using the box and I didn't notice she was losing weight. She only weighed 2.15kg. The vet seemed reluctant to recommend any other treatment other than to put her to sleep. I had already explained to her that I would have brought her a few weeks ago if I had the funds to pay for tests. I did in fact, have the funds yesterday and I told her I was willing to pay for whatever tests and treatments she needed. I borrowed this money to get Sabrina taken care of and that's exactly what I did as soon as it hit my bank account. This vet didn't seem to think there was a point in trying other methods but I pressed. She told me she would give her some fluids but I should consider making the decision to put her to sleep later that day. I thought to myself "What vet doesn't consider any form of treatment?" The results of Sabrina's blood test wouldn't be back until Monday because they get sent out and nothing will happen over the weekend. She said so herself that Sabrina was content/not in pain so what was the rush to make the decision? At least wait until the results come back so I know if there's something else going on with Sabrina or what. I wondered if she was judging me and thought maybe I was wasting her time due to the fact I didn't bring Sabrina in sooner, so how was I going to pay for it? But i thought maybe my emotions were getting the better of me because of course I do have feelings of guilt for not taking her in before but I figured I'd have a better chance of getting her treated if I went with some money, then ask if I could set up a payment plan. For goodness sake, my cats have been patients there since 2008 and I've brought more clients their way by recommending them. So I had hoped that by going there today and paying for the initial tests and working out future payments, the vet might work something out with me, but this vet didn't know me. But she could see in my file that I've been going there for years, I don't have any outstanding bills, and almost always paid everything in full before. She told me to come back later in the evening to "make my decision" but of course during my hours at home I spent all day looking up all the information I could so when I went back there later I was not simply going to put her to sleep without at least TRYING something. Sabrina is a strong willed cat and I have had cats tell me before when it was their time to say goodbye. I wasn't getting that vibe from Sabrina, I was getting the vibe that she wanted to live. I decided that if she kept pushing I would ask to take Sabrina home and I'd go get a second opinion from another clinic. But when I returned later that night, another vet was on duty. One who knows me and one I know is reasonable. So I went in and we started talking about what the blood test might reveal, home treatment, insulin, diet, everything that I would have to do to on my end to get Sabrina well again and she said yes she would work out a payment plan with me. She went in the back to get Sabrina so she could show me how to do injections and get her ready for going home, then she changed her mind. She said Sabrina's weight was a problem and she also didn't think there was any hope and that she recommended compassionate euthanasia. I said to her " If she is not in pain and is not suffering like you say, is there any harm in me taking her home tonight and trying these things anyway even if you think she has no chance? Can I at least try?" She agreed to that and gave me 4 shots of insulin for the weekend. I am not sure what kind is is, she gave me I don't know what the term is, but she filled the syringes for me so I didn't happen to see the name. She told me to feed her pate/wet food, keep her warm and administer the injections every 12 hours. Then come back on Monday for the test results and see if by some miracle Sabrina has made an improvement. What I am asking is there truly no hope for Sabrina, am I just ignoring reality? It was after reading this forum all afternoon that gave me hope that she could be helped. Some of the threads I read involved cats that sounded like they were much worse off than Sabrina and they got well again, so let me know what you think. I tried not to get too off track and rein it in when I thought I was getting too carried away but I suppose that's to be expected. I'm probably missing a lot of details too as my head is pretty scrambled right now.