10/23 Black Kitty

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sandy and Black Kitty, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Ten years ago today, after 21 months on insulin, Black Kitty, the last cat anyone ever thought would go OTJ did just that.

He remained insulin free until he crossed the bridge 6.5 years later.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Sandy! What a great inspiration this post is to those that don’t think there’s a chance. Thank you for renewing hope!

Sandy and Black Kitty likes this.
  4. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: - What an inspiration!!!

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I never dreamed my IAA girl would go OTJ but thanks to you and Black Kitty, we kept our hope alive and it paid off. Forever grateful to you and Black Kitty for your inspiration.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

I remember the days you were shooting crazy amounts of insulin -- talk about BOS. It seemed inconceivable that Black Kitty could ever go OTJ. You both deserved an award for grit, determination, and perseverance.

Hard to believe it's been 10 years already.

7. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Sandy - what a beautiful video, huge amounts of insulin, love to the max, and so much inspiration. What a beautiful black kitty Black Kitty was while here, and he has, and will, continue to help numerous others :bighug::bighug::bighug::):cat::bighug::bighug::bighug: Love the toilet paper fixin'!

8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Sandy, I didn't know Black Kitty and I just watched the tribute video for the first time. What a wonderful, precious little being he was! Got teary eyed and then thought to myself that we get too little time with our beloved fur people, but how lucky we are that we get to share any part of our lives with them.

Thank you for sharing this, and adding joy, with such an example of love and devotion, to my day. :bighug:

Going to find my fur person and hug him bunches.

9. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

10 years! Obviously I never had the pleasure to get to know BK while he was here, but it's amazing how he has continued to help folks here. Especially those of us, like my buddy Lou, who are IAA only kitties. He was such a beautiful kitty (and you know how partial I am to black cats). Thank you for sharing him with us. Thank you also for continuing to use your experiences and knowledge to help those of us still fighting the good fight, and for giving us hope! While we haven't gone OTJ yet and we didn't have the crazy high doses you had with Black Kitty, I would have never thought I'd be dosing Lou under 3 units again. Many hugs to you Sandy. Happy OTJ anniversary!! Love the beautiful video as well. It's obvious how well-loved BK was! :bighug:

10. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Sandy, thank you for posting this! :bighug: It is so encouraging specially when we don't think our kitty will ever get there because on high doses! I'll look up your SS when I'll need a little boost!:) You made my day!
    Your video of little Black Kitty is beautiful, everything is so charming in there and the shot with you and him is lovely! What a precious souvenir of your adorable kitty! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

After 21 months??? Really? You mean there is hope after all???

What an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your story and that sweet kitty BK.

Luci is nearing that ... I've all but given up on Remission...just figured I need to be happy with her numbers as good as they are..she hits the lagoon on most days now :)

:bighug::bighug:

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

The world is a better place for kitties with IAA, thanks to you and BK.

13. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting the video. Black kitty was so handsome :cat:
    My black kitty Mačka really needs some encouragement... 4 months and it feels like we'll never get passed these pinks :(
    Do you think that the 2 dentals were the solution, in addition to insulin?

14. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

So many owe BK and you so much, you were trail blazers.
    I love the vid of him tearing up the paper, still makes me smile.

15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Inspirational! What a wonderful kitty.
    Stories like this give people hope when they think there is none left.
    And keeping him OTJ for 6 1/2 years is really something to be proud of.

16. Sandy and Black Kitty

I remember very well the sinking feeling when I looked at BKs ss and saw a relentless sea of pink. it was 5 months before BK saw his first blue and 7 months before he saw his first green. It was a year before he tasted HC food.

Without the 2 dentals BK would not have gone OTJ. His teeth and gums were his Achilles heel. The chronic infection fueled his high BG.

Have a look at the graph of his daily insulin needs relative to dental procedures;

657836B8-D614-48F5-95E7-B79B481EA1DA.jpeg
    •Late October 2008 - rotting tooth fragment removed while under anesthesia for removal of a (thankfully benign) lump. Almost instantly reduced from 45u per day to 27u daily.
    •Early December 2008 - first major dental, 8 or so extractions. He was on a mission, flying down the dosing ladder . We all thought he was on his way to remission however in April 2009 the numbers started creeping up.
    •Late May 2009 - second dental with several more extractions. Back down the dosing ladder, all the way to the Falls. :cool:

Hang in there and hang in here -Healing has it’s own timetable.

17. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

What an amazing journey and an amazing day. We have so much to thank you and BK for. His legacy will live on and on here as will yours, Sandy, for all you learned and all you both taught those facing IAA.

He’s romping around now, playing with all the other GAs, and costing up to Jill. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

18. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

You and Black Kitty are an inspiration to us all.

19. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I do remember BK's OTJ party and the stories that went along with it. BK has a lasting legacy.

20. Sandy and Black Kitty

We would have been thrilled just to get BK regulated. We never entertained the thought that he would make it to the falls, until he started flying down the dosing ladder after the first dental. It was something to watch - it was a miracle happening in front of our eyes and all of LL was in high spirits. So when the numbers and dose started climbing again I was devastated.

Lucis ss is looking beautiful. Lots of greenage going on- lots of time in the healing numbers. Keep up the good work. If it’s in the cards healing will come.
    Sometimes it just takes a while.:cool:

21. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Sandy, what a wonderful tribute to your beautiful Black Kitty! Thank you so much for posting this on his 10th year OTJ anniversary, I love that you did this even after so much time. :bighug:
    BK's story really puts things into perspective and gives so much hope. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

22. Sandy and Black Kitty

Lous ss looks amazing - he has lost the yellows and is spending lots of time in the healing numbers. Keep up the great work! :cool:

23. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Black Kitty is such an inspiration! And he was a very handsome boy! Your continued advice on the board is very much appreciated. Scooter and I are at 20 months, down to .25 from 9.5 and very well regulated. Don’t know what will happen ( afraid I’ll jinx it if I even think about it) but he is regulated, happy and healthy. Anything else will just be icing on the cake.

24. Sandy and Black Kitty

very well regulated indeed!
    7B17C2E7-B23B-43A2-BF38-546D8A2B1DEE.jpeg

Gill & George likes this.
  25. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you for reminding everyone there is hope. BK was a special kitty. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

26. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

27. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Black Kitty is an L&L Land legend. Thank you for reminding us how remarkable he was and how anything is possible.

28. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

I just wanted your tribute video. What an inspiration BK is and will continue to be. What a legacy! Beautiful kitty and beautiful momma!

29. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Black Kitty and his mamabean have given so many of us here hope--and smiles (how many paper towels did he shred over the years?). Thank you, Sandy, for posting this beautiful remembrance on Black Kitty's 10th anniversary.

30. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing :) Black kitties are soooo bad! Trouble from day 1 until the end. But who can resist them? With love, Nikki