? Shelley - going back on Caninsulin after hypo?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anthony Morgan, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony Morgan

Anthony Morgan Member

Hi Karen, yes you were spot on, so see how we go with 0.75.
    With thanks, Anthony

2. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

I noticed that. I didn't want to be right but it is showing she needs more of a dose at night than she is getting. She is reacting to her injections as I would expect based on the data you have. If her PM pre-food shoot is in the region of the 18 she has been I would be confident that she will be okay with a 0.75 dose tonight but you are the one doing it.

Sky's curve was more of a flatline in that she didn't increase at all towards her evening injection and her number eventually was food influenced. Trying to stick to a low dose with her, and trying to keep it the same morning and night, but she is proving difficult as she does go low. I do like blue numbers though but they worry me when they head to any green.

I never thought would have to deal with a diabetic cat - ironically I don't think I would be able to do it if it was me (hate injections!) but I can manage her fine!

3. Anthony Morgan

Anthony Morgan Member

Hi Karen,
    Today's numbers were
    Amps 23.2 inj 0.75
    +4. 16.7
    +5. 16.3
    Pmps. 23.6. Inj 0.75

The spread sheet runs very slow, so I still need to put these numbers in.
    For nearly 6 years all I had to do was 2 daily injections and the main criteria was the 12 hour gap. So it has been like starting again for me, it seemed so easy before!
    You are doing a great job with Sky but I know what you mean, low numbers are bound to create anxiety.
    I think if this pattern continues I should move up to 0.9 again.
    Shelley does seem to be sleeping most of the day at the moment but that is perhaps her age or the weather, my other cats are sleeping a lot too.

Regards, Anthony

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Reason for edit: Added sentence.
  4. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

I think you are right - you will probably end up increasing the dose but I think the key will be to try and keep it the same morning and night and to do it slowly to minimise risk. Once she is on a dose that keeps her fairly low you will find you won't test as much as you are doing at the moment. In general I only do morning and night.

Must be a real shock after looking after her for 6 years how much work you are now putting in. It is the safest option though.

I know what you mean with the spreadsheet, I find it hard to update at times.

Don't be disheartened if you are still in the reds tomorrow - she will drop eventually.

Karen

5. Anthony Morgan

Anthony Morgan Member

Thank you Karen!

6. Anthony Morgan

Anthony Morgan Member

Today's numbers were higher but after the am test in a narrow range. Reading other threads I can see the importance placed on the 2 hours without food prior to the pre shot tests. Tonight Shelley slept a good while before the test and the result was lower that this morning. The gap between food and test might not have been 2 hours this morning and I had also given Felix because she hadn't been eating all that much and she will usually eat more of the jelly. So some of the numbers over 20 may be food influenced.
    However, the numbers are still too high in any case, so I think I will need to try a further small increase.
    I have started a new thread but have not had any response yet.
    Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.