Simba - 13 year old Maine Coon - Just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Billy Burke, Dec 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Burke

Billy Burke New Member

Hello everyone - I've had Simba his whole life and he's always been in good health. The last few weeks we noticed him drinking and peeing a lot more than usual so we made a vet appt. We took him in Xmas eve and after tests were run he had a 700 blood sugar level which is one of the highest the vet said he has ever seen. He said no judgment if we want to put him down as this won't be easy or cheap and he may not make it with how high the numbers are. But putting him down just isn't an option unless I feel like he's suffering and/or not happy anymore. Overall he seems very normal and happy other than the water/peeing. Still moving around normally, sleeping on our bed, purring as usual, and always around us when we're home.

This whole thing is a bit overwhelming but after spending a few hours reading up on this online I'm starting to feel "a little" better. They prescribed us Glargine 100 units/ml and I set my alarm for each morning at 7am to give him 2mls and then another 2mls at 7pm each night. I'm paycheck to paycheck like many of us and we also had a baby in September so things are very tight. Luckily my GF is supportive as she knows how much he means to me/us. She actually was not a cat person until we moved in together over a year ago although quickly became one after getting to know Simba. :)

So we spent $580 so far on the doctor visit, needles, prescription food (Hills wet and dry) and hoping to get some feedback on the best place to buy this type of stuff. The Dr visit w food was $355 and we paid $225 for the insulin which should last 25 days it looks like. Any advice on where to buy this insulin cheaper would be awesome.

I've only had to give him 3 shots so far and it breaks my heart each time because he runs and hides for a few minutes after each one. I realize I HAVE to do this for his health - I just wish he knew that :-(

This morning I spent a good 10 minutes with him after the shot just petting him and talking to him. Any suggestions on how and where to give these shots so it's as comfortable as possible for him? I have done 2 in the back of the neck area and one a little lower near the should blades and I just wish there was a place I could do it where he wouldn't feel it. I realize this may not be possible but wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on this? I feel like my cat has always adored me as he basically follows me around most of time and is when he's not sleeping somewhere is always near me. I just fear that he's not going to understand what's going on and is going to hate me or be scared of me if I keep having to give him these shots twice a day.... Wishing there was a better way is all...

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome. We can help you find ways to cut costs and we can help you keep your Simba safe.
    A lot of people buy their insulin from Canada. If you live near the border, you can drive across and pick it up. Otherwise, check out this reputable pharmacy. Quite a few people use it.
    This is just a Welcome Forum. A place to say "hello." Come over to the Feline Health Forum and ask any and all questions. We can help Simba and yourself become more comfortable with insulin shots. In the meantime, here is some information to help you get started on the journey: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-how-you-can-help-us-help-you.216696/

Jennifer R. likes this.
  3. Red & Rover (GA)

p.s. Being the day after Christmas, the forum might be a bit quiet today.

4. Billy Burke

Billy Burke New Member

Sounds great and thank you very much for the info! I'm trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can :)

5. Billy Burke

Billy Burke New Member

My GF is from Canada too so we should be able to figure this out! I'm excited as from what I'm reading I could go w the 5 pens for $164.99 and that should last him about a year! Unless I'm not reading something correctly it's looking like what I was afraid was going to cost me over $200 a month.... I may be able to simply pay $164.99 a year now? Thank you again for the info. I'll be reading up in these forums for sure. It's nice to be able to talk to other people in similar situations with their own beloved cat.

6. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

I was/am in the same boat as you regarding the learning piece. All the information is overwhelming but knowing you can go back and reread any time is very helpful. I ALWAYS test Freckles first (I give her some freeze dried chicken - Walmart and Dollar store care them in Canada) while I test her ears. While she's eating her breakfast, which is Fancy Feast Pate, I give her the insulin injection. She is totally distracted for the test and the injection that it is no longer a big deal. The first time the vet tried to test from her ears, it took him and 3 assistants to hold her and he didn't think I would be able to do it on my own. Now I call her and she comes running because she associates me calling her with getting food not the pricks and pokes. We will see you on the Lantus forum board as that is the type of insulin that Freckles gets. Be sure to set up your spreadsheet as the help you get on this board is very number driven.

Be sure to check out the Main Forum as there is a wealth of information there too!

7. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

Welcome, I have a Simba, too, and have found the advice a bit overwhelming. I give my Simba his insulin in the scruff of the neck, as I was instructed to by the veterinarian at the shelter we rescued him from, and he doesn't even seem to notice it. I give it to him while he is eating - he is very food motivated and loves to eat, plus as a rescue I'm sure he's had a lot of other challenges. You may want to make sure the syringes you're using have the smallest needle possible, and make sure he's either eating or has a treat right away. Have you looked into the diet information? It seems that lower carb foods can mean they need less insulin.

8. Red & Rover (GA)

If you can drive across the border, the price is even less. Roughly $120 CDN. In Canada, a prescription is not needed for Lantus if it is for a cat. Only humans require a prescription.
    Look forward to seeing your posts in the Feline Health Forum.

9. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

I think a prescription may be dependent on the pharmacy you go to. One pharmacy I needed a prescription and the other I didn't.

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! Glad you found us.

There is no need to feed Hills wet and dry food. It’s expensive and no better than other wet food. You can take it back to the vet and get your money back. Just say Simba won’t eat it. Hills will reimburse.
    What you need is low carb wet/canned (10% or under). Lots of people feed Fancy Feast Pates. They will be lower carb than the Hills dry so you really should be testing the blood glucose levels to ensure the BG doesn’t drop too low with the change over of food.
    Here is a link to suitable foods
    https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

here is another useful link with lots of information for new members
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-how-you-can-help-us-help-you.216696/

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add I think you meant 2 units not 2mls twice a day, right?

How much does Simba weigh? 2 units is more than most cats start on. Usually it is around 1 unit.

12. Billy Burke

Billy Burke New Member

Thank you everyone for the info. Simba is 18 lbs.... His blood sugar level was over 700 a week ago when we first found out. We went in Tuesday for another check up and is was down to 500. The Doctor is having us go up from 2 units to 3 units (I think I'm saying that right Bron and Sheba :).... Charged me $50 for 5 minutes just to check his blood this time. I think I'm going to have to order a home kit so I can do it myself. Does anyone have one they would suggest? I saw a few on Amazon but would love to here any feedback. The easiest/less intrusive way for me to check at home the better.
    I'll have to try the Fancy Feast Pate and see how it goes too.... Thank you again everyone for feedback - it helps a lot!

Jennifer R. likes this.
  13. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

A lot of people like the Relion Prime meters from WalMart, because the test strips are cheap and they use capillary action for taking the blood. I think there is a link somewhere to Consumer Reports reviews of blood glucose meters, but I don't know how useful that is in Canada.

BobbiMcGee71 likes this.
  14. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

Any updates, Billy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.