Smiffy Caninsulin beg Autumn progress

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Looby & Smiffy, Sep 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...r-august-september.163681/page-3#post-1783899
    @MrWorfMen's Mom @JanetNJ @Alexi @manxcat419 @Woodsywife @donnalea @Louise1989 @Squalliesmom @HWright @purpleallie

This is Smiffy's new thread, so to recap:

Smiffy and I are in the UK. She is on Caninsulin and was diagnosed in April 2016.

As you will see from her spreadsheet she has very recently enjoyed some very nice blue numbers and for four or five days required no insulin:

This is what her Vet Roberta had to say about her spreadsheet and dosing at that point:

"Hi Mrs Smith,
    That's all really positive isn't it! Fantastic work, you've both done brilliantly. I would agree with you that I would be nervous of giving insulin below 8, especially in the morning. My view would be that Smiffy is in remission if she manages to keep her BG below 12 (so below the renal threshold) without insulin. I would also prefer her blood glucose to remain above 4 ideally, I have seen cats hypo on 2.5-3. I think also that we have to take into account a little degree of sampling related hyperglycaemia (stress related) and differences between glucometers. I think the 'tight regulation' numbers are a little too tight for practical use if that makes sense? I would only give her insulin if her numbers are above 12, and keep a very close eye on her.
    Absolutely brilliant news"

However for the last few days Smiffy's numbers have risen again (coinciding with a thunderstorm breaking the hot weather to damp weather and DH - her Daddy - going abroad for a couple of weeks).

The sliding scale that I have devised for her from experience and looking back at her spreadsheet is still in place but for the past couple of days her numbers have still stayed high which is out of character.

So it feels a bit as if I am starting all over again.

However in the last 24 hours her numbers have gone down again :):

Smiffy's AMPS was 10.6 so as I am not around to test her at her Nadir I didn't give her her shot - this is until I know a bit more about what is going on with her numbers now that they are falling lower again .....

I am really pleased for her but I am not going to risk her going into dangerous numbers during the day ......
    She was 9.7 (175) at +4 so she is still holding that number from her PMPS last night which was 10.6 (190).

More data later.

Thank you to Smiffy's regular friends for popping in to see her and for your continued support and friendshiop :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

@Looby & Smiffy - You have tagged Marlena???
    Only this morning she told you she wasn't able to participate in your threads.
    Kindly show some respect and delete that tag.

Critter Mom, Diana&Tom and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

4. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Smiffy is still 9.6 (173) at +7 :)

5. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

I have been in contact with Marlena as we are friends and she doesn't mind that I have tagged her to show her that Smiffy has a new thread and we chatted and talked about the fact that she will not be commenting until things are more settled for her. So all is well :)

6. Jill & Alex (GA)

Sorry, no. Marlena has removed herself from these threads for the time being as noted in the link I posted above.
    Remove the tag and stop tagging her and/or anyone else who has walked away from your threads for one reason or another.

7. Jill & Alex (GA)

And no, all is not well when once again, a moderator has to intervene in not one, but two of your threads today!

Tuxedo Mom and Critter Mom like this.
  8. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

I knew that Marlena was happy for me to tag her in Smiffy's new thread - she wants to follow Smiffy but just not to comment at this point in time for personal reasons and we have discussed that privately.

9. Jill & Alex (GA)

Lucille, one last time... remove the tag or it will be removed for you.
    Please, we're adults. If or when Marlena wants to retract her remarks, feel free to tag her.

Tuxedo Mom and Critter Mom like this.
  10. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Smiffy's numbers have gone down again :):

Smiffy's AMPS was 10.6 so as I am not around to test her at her Nadir I didn't give her her shot - this is until I know a bit more about what is going on with her numbers now that they are falling lower again .....

I am really pleased for her but I am not going to risk her going into dangerous numbers during the day ......
    She was 9.7 (175) at +4 so she is still holding that number from her PMPS last night which was 10.6 (190).

She is still only 9.6 (172) at +7 so things are looking good :)

11. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

I have removed it - sorry I missed that message from you.

12. Jill & Alex (GA)

Thank you.

Please be advised: This entire thread has been reported to continue documenting the string of on-going incidents in multiple threads. It's one among several that have been reported. It's in Smiffy's best interest to stop the nonsense before it becomes your last.

13. Jill & Alex (GA)

@Looby & Smiffy
    Lucille, is the board hic-cupping or are you purposely re-posting post #10 in this thread?

I've already deleted the same post twice and now here it is again (post #13)! You should have been notified when the duplicate/triplicate posts were deleted.

It's not necessary to copy and post the same post multiple times.
    ETA: Duplicates will be removed.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  14. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Sorry I wanted to continue with Smiffy's data this evening by updating that post - that's all ... I have taken in all that you have said - I mean no harm - doing it for Smiffy so that her data for today is all together.

15. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Hoping that Smiffy maintains her number of around 10 (180) to 9.6 (173) at +7 til her PMPS :)

I have done a +10 test to see if she is rising and she is so I think I will be safe to give her a half unit tonight .... she was 10.6 (190).

16. Jill & Alex (GA)

Duplicate has been removed... for the third time.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  17. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Oh I'm sorry ... I promise I didn't do that after you told me not to do it! I am not about trying to annoy anybody - really I am not ... sorry again.

18. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Smiffy has held numbers around the 10 (180)s since her PMPS last night - right through til her AMBG this morning when I didn't give her a shot as I am not around for her Nadir.

She has held that number right up until now when I have given her a +10 test to see if she is rising which she is bef0re her PMPS so that means that I am going to be safe to give her a shot of half a unit tonight as long as I can test her again at say +3 or +4 ....

19. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

@JanetNJ @MrWorfMen's Mom

Smiffy is 9.5 PMPS after being around 10 (180) since last night's PMPS (when I gave her half a unit but no shot this morning after her AMBG).

She is eating so I am going to give her a half unit to keep things going and test her at +2 and +3 to make sure she doesn't drop too low.

She is completely on the lower carb dry food now (no Hill's m/d) but wouldn't eat the wet tonight just now ....

Well the end of the story tonight is that at +2 she is 11.2 (202) so not sure what to make of that ... could be a bounce or the 0.5 units has no effect on her?

OK so I have now done a +3 and she is 10.6 (190) so she may have gone up after eating and now her shot is kicking in and she has gone down.

Thinking aloud here ... now leave her alone until tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.