? Snickers 6-23 - pmps 388 - question about fructosamine test

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SingsToCats, Jun 23, 2020.

1. SingsToCats

SingsToCats Member

I missed a couple of days posting, I was busy doing nothing :banghead:

His numbers were nice yesterday, but he went down all day. His pmps was 133, I gave him a reduced shot because I couldn't stay up with him. So he was high all day today, I feel so bad for him.

I had a long day calling the vet's office over and over. I can't quite get across to them what I'm asking. They want to do a fructosamine test. They want us to drop him off in the morning and leave him. I don't understand why we have to leave him. I asked if they were also going to do a curve and they said no, just the fructosamine test.

Can't they just draw blood and let us take him back home? We live 20 minutes outside of town, so driving back and forth is annoying. And I hate to leave him there, I know he hates it.

Previous
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...s-226-went-to-74-or-lower-reduce-dose.231193/

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I think he's bouncing from the blue BGs yesterday. He still needs to get used to the lower numbers
    Honestly a fructosamine test would be a waste of money and stressful for Snickers.
    With all the tests you have in the SS a frustosamine test is completely unnecessary. Save your money for something important.
    The only reason the vet would want one is because he can't read a SS.
    The fructosamine test will only give an average of the BGs for the last 2 weeks and you have been taking much more detailed tests daily. Tell the vet you will send the SS instead!

He is actually starting to do much better if you look back over his SS. What you need now is patience. Post daily for feedback. He's only been a diabetic for a few months.

SingsToCats and Si am cat mom like this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

If you have finished switching over to all wet food you might like to consider changing to TR method. You are testing enough.

SingsToCats likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I agree with Bron. The only curve Max had at my vet’s office was after his very first shot of insulin.

SingsToCats likes this.
  5. LindyNova

LindyNova Well-Known Member

You could also send him the 14/30 day averages from your Relion meter along with your SS . It is essentially the same thing as a fructosamine test......only better and didn't cost you as much. :)

SingsToCats likes this.
  6. SingsToCats

SingsToCats Member

Linda - that's a good idea!

Elise - Yes, I would rather do a curve at home, it's much easier for him.

Bron - Thanks for the encouragement, and for explaining about the fructosamine test. I'm not going to do it, you're right, I have better data than that.

I may switch to TR if he gives me a chance. His +6 was 79, I'm about to do his +7 and see if he's going up or down. I don't know the best thing to do if he's low at pmps.

7. tiffmaxee

Well the 79 Calls for a reduction with SLGS but not with TR. But I don’t see it on your ss.

SingsToCats likes this.
  8. SingsToCats

SingsToCats Member

I updated the ss, he's up slightly to 86. It's so nice to see numbers like that.

I really don't know if SLGS or TR is better for him. I would like to stay at this dose, but I'm concerned about him going too low when I'm asleep.

9. tiffmaxee

It’s nice to see the greens but if you can’t stay awake as needed at night then take the reduction. I’ve also seen people have a slightly lower reduction number but I would follow one or the other.. You could leave food out or set alarms too.

SingsToCats likes this.