? Sprocket 3/28, amps/296, +4.25/298, +7.6/234. Finally dropped. Does this mean no glucose resistance

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Darnell & Sprocket (GA), Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...still-high-dont-know-why.193217/#post-2158714

Hi.
    He was flat this morning. Gave 2carb, 2flavors then left for few hours. He ate a little before I left. He ate nothing when i was gone.
    He dropped 64 pts so does this mean he doesnt have glucose resistance?

I have some nutro >1carb after test. He ate 1.3oz of that then ate some of the 2carb food he refused earlier. Napping now.

Is this good?

2. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

It's nice that you got a little bit bigger drop today, but to me, it looks like he can use more insulin. I haven't been following along lately so I am not familiar with why your dose increases are so minute. For instance, it looks like prior to this dose of 2.70 the dose was 2.68. Maybe he would respond better with .25 increases.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The "drop" doesn't mean no glucose toxicity. Spending time in higher than normal numbers will build glucose toxicity. In the past two week, looks Sprocket spent at most 1 hour below 100, so a lot of time above normal numbers.

As others have suggested, I would follow SLGS and increase by 0.25 units. Increasing by less than that only is a strategy when you trying to fine tune what is already a pretty good dose. This dose isn't that.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  5. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

My interpretation of glucose toxicity is that they stubbornly want to stay in a particular range (that is higher than you want it to be), often times despite an increase, that's why you need to keep on top of it so you can make headway. The insulin is still working, and they can go lower than their pre-shot and come back up, they just fight real hard to stay in what their body is convinced is their normal range.

6. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

@Bobbie And Bubba
    @Stacy & Asia
    Also.

I did do an increase of the 0.25ml before but i was chasing him with carbs so he would stay in 100s & i could sleep. I was hoping if I went down a tiny bit then he would surf without having to give medium carb. Then i got new syringes and he hasnt dropped since.

I am gonna get a bag of old syringes and see what happens.

Wendy, when you say he is above normal numbers are you referring to under 100 or above 100s?
    I thought under 100 and 100s are good numbers.

7. Wendy&Neko

Most cats off of insulin spend time in green. Low blues are OK for SLGS. In my experience and from what I have observed here, aiming for nadirs of mid to upper blues ends up with a cat spending the majority of their time in yellows and above, likely above renal threshold. They don't get used to lower numbers when they have higher nadirs. SLGS says to aim for nadirs of 90 to 150. I would aim for the lower half of that range.

8. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

I always aim for that but everytime he drops it seems to be at night when i am exhausted or he drops too low as in he dives down.

So I go up on dose but what if he just keeps diving below 100?

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  9. Wendy&Neko

Below 100 but above 50 is safe.

10. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Right but issue is how do i let him surf if he always seems to do that at night if i need to sleep? I am only tester. He tends to drop late. Usually between +4-+8.
    How do i do that?

11. Wendy&Neko

All I can suggest is playing with food carbs and amounts to learn what keeps him safe. Do you use an autofeeder?

12. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

I have a few autofeeders but he wont use them.
    He seems to like to have an audience. Or if he us too tired he wont get up to eat. I have to put dish in his face to wake him up to eat.
    He is a stubborn difficult boy alot. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.