? Stalling: need advice on Vetsulin dosing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa and Smoky, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I am not sure about giving smoky his AM dose. BG at 76 at 11:15pm last night, +3 after his shot, jumped to 322 by 2:15am, + 6 after PM shot. Checking his PSAM BG in 5 minutes. First time he ever had low BG, has always been around 350-380 since his dx on Sept 1st, 2016. Just checked smoky, PSAM 288.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Reason for edit: New info
  2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa, do you have the AM preshot number?

Eliz

4. Lisa and Smoky

Just posted it, it was 288

5. Lisa and Smoky

It was 288

6. Lisa and Smoky

Still can't figure out how to copy a link from yesterday, not very PC savvy. Maybe it's just my phone, will try it on my pc

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Lisa, I can't stay to watch you this morning so I'm just going to tell you what I think (remember, I've never used Vetsulin)

Are you going to be home today to test as much as necessary? If so, the 1 unit dose last night actually did OK...he dropped to 76 (which is a safe number), but we don't know what might have happened if you hadn't given the Karo/food....he could have kept dropping or that might have been as low as he was going to go....that's what we mean when we say that Vetsulin usually hits "hard and fast" and then wears off long before the next shot

That being said, I also don't see any reason why you couldn't give .5 this morning if it would make you more comfortable while you're getting used to testing and posting

Might let you "ease into it" a little slower while you're learning

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  8. Elizabeth and Bertie

Okey dokey,
    That 288 should be shootable in principle (will you be able to monitor if you give the shot?)

But I would strongly suggest that you reduce the dose. I agree with Chris's suggestion of half a unit.
    For newcomers to Vetsulin/Caninsulin we suggest that it is best not to 'aim' for a nadir (lowest number) of less than 90 to 100 (5 - 5.6). That is to give some buffer of safety if the cat's blood glucose actually drops lower than that.
    That 76 that you got yesterday was a bit too low, and also a bit too early in the cycle (he may have dropped even further without intervention from you).

Eliz

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  9. Lisa and Smoky

Thanks for the info and all your help. One quick question, .5 is how much, I have U40 syringes

10. Lisa and Smoky

I will be home the next three days so can hone test. Never mind about the .5 duh, I shld have known it was half a unit.

11. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi Lisa,

Here, for a bit of light reading (;)) is the link to the Vetsulin/Caninsulin user guide. It has some basic info on handling and using this insulin.
    Vetsulin/Caninsulin user guide

It's good that you are able to test today.
    Do shout out if you need help, or if you are concerned in any way. :bighug:

Eliz

12. Lisa and Smoky

Thank you for your advice and Chris too has been very helpful. I will be home the next three days so can watch my boy

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  13. Lisa and Smoky

Thanks Eliz
    I was just looking over the vetsulin guide when you posted. Slept about 4 hours so going to try and get a catnap in.:cat:

14. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I give Callie Vetsulin and I have had times when we get numbers lower then what I feel comfortable with. I keep slowly reducing her dose to match what her numbers are going and where they might be going. Callie's numbers are always lower in the middle of the night. I have to give her a smaller dose for her PM shot.

15. Lisa and Smoky

I gave smoky half a unit of vetsulin in the am, his BG was 288 but it was 76 at +3 after his pm shot. I had some good advice from others on this board. I don't know what I wld do if I didn't have all of you.

16. Alexi

Alexi Member

17. Lisa and Smoky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.