? starting insulin where can i find the emergency kit information

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicole dorsey, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

I am unable to find the emergency kit information. If someone could send me a link that would be great. thank you

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nicole dorsey likes this.
  3. Marvin's Mom - Nat

Marvin's Mom - Nat Well-Known Member

Hello Nicole, good luck with your first day of insulin. If you need guidance today just ask. low carb

How much insulin and have you given it yet (I peaked at your spread sheet didn't see)

Routine every pre-shot: Test BG, Feed, and Shoot (As Marvin was eating I gave him his shot, did never noticed)

Since it is your first day, I would try and get sparadic checks through out the day just to see how he is reacting if you can. Remember give him a treat (low carb) after each test, it will make it easier in the future.....

4. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck, Nicole

5. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

Thank you so very much. 1 unit to start and at vet all day to monitor. What are some low carb treats you like? I am concerned as he doesn't have much of an appetite but they said couldn't wait to start him on it any longer.

6. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

7. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

DebG likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

From the New to the Group Sticky Note, here is the link to the hypo toolkit. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/jojo-and-bunnys-hypo-tool-box.2354/
    The link above is used only if you are following Tight Regulation for dosing. When you have a moment, let us know if you are following TR or SLGS by putting it in your signature.

My kitties really liked the Orijen cat treats, which come in multiple different proteins types, including some novel proteins like lamb and wild boar that might be good for IBD.

9. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

The vet has not said to me if its tight regulation or SLGS (not sure what that means). I am not thrilled about the communication but it seems like it was good to start it, today except one other day was the highest its been in the last month.

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Read the two sticky notes on each, SLGS is Start Low Go Slow, and figure out which works best for you. Vet's are all different. The locum vet who got us on Lantus just pointed me here for dosing. I started out working with Neko's vet on dose, but gave up after a while cause she only worked four days a week and I could always get an answer here when she was not available. Some vet's like to be in charge of each dose change and do their own dosing method, some don't and let the caregiver decide the dose based on test data. The majority of pet parents do not test, so some vet's are not used to the amount of data we have. I was the first client to home test the clinic. Our vet was happy to see weekly test data to see that what I was doing made sense. I also provided her a copy of the dosing protocol I was using. After a while I stopped giving her test data, and she just asked what the current dose was when I saw her.

Marvin's Mom - Nat likes this.
  11. Marvin's Mom - Nat

Marvin's Mom - Nat Well-Known Member

Alot of vets are not familiar with the different methods, they just tell you to shoot and that is it. The methods wendy is refering to is really your choice which you want. depends on what you schedule is like, and how comfortable you are. Read through the two and see which one you feel comfortable to start with. You can always change. I was really nervous so I started with SLGS, for me it seemed the easiest to understand at first. TR has more rules but can get kitty regulated faster. Both are good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.