? Switching from Novolin N to Basaglar

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Becky and Gray-Gray, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Becky and Gray-Gray

Becky and Gray-Gray Member

I have been waiting to get back into town and to pick up my kitty Gray-Gray from boarding before making the switch from Novolin N to Basaglar. Currently she is on 1 unit Novolin N twice daily. You’ll notice a small lapse in time on my sugar sheet because Gray-Gray has been at the boarding facility while I have been out of town since last week. I work Monday -Friday from 7-4 and am unable to perform testing while at work. Because of this I was thinking of beginning to shoot the first time with Basaglar either Wednesday or Thursday to allow the depot insulin to build up by Saturday which is when I can test her BG both am and pm cycles. I wish to start low and go slow and am thinking of starting the Basaglar with 1/2 unit.

I am seeking advice if you all think 1/2 unit is good to begin transitioning from Novolin N to Basaglar AND if you all think starting to shoot on either Wednesday or Thursday is good since I cannot test the am cycles BG until Saturday’s am cycle.

Thank you in advance for your input and advice.
    Becky & GrayGray

Here are my links to my previous thread posts in the FDMB:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Reason for edit: Adding previous post links
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

Hi. Just wanted to bump this up a bit so someone sees it

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

When people are switching from one insulin to the other, we don't "start fresh" with the dose. We take the dose of the current insulin in mind, so you aren't set too far back. Since 1.0 unit is getting you some greens on Novolin, maybe back it off a touch to 0.75 units to start. I would start on a day when you can monitor closely the first few cycles. So that would be either Friday night or Saturday morning. Some cats, can't say which in advance, have a stronger reaction to the new insulin, meaning go lower than expected. Hence the recommendation to start when you can monitor and also backing the dose off a bit. If you start Friday night, you will have 5 cycles under your belt by Monday morning, and a good first impression on how the dose is doing. Provided that you can test the preshots, and at least one other time each cycle.

4. Becky and Gray-Gray

Thank you so much Wendy! This is great information to know!!! I will definitely start Friday pm cycle instead, Thank you!

GrayGray is SUPER sensitive to ANY insulin change in the past so I am really apprehensive to start at 0.75:nailbiting:! All honesty I would prefer the 0.5 as a starting point due to her previous experiences and history last summer and last January. I’m am thinking the only harm that could be done is high BG and over time I can always increase dosage slowly.... I am thinking of starting at 0.5 units but I do like the suggestion of starting Friday evening! Thank you so much Wendy:bighug:!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

GrayGray is adorable! I wish you the best in transitioning from the fast acting Novalin to Basaglar! Wendy has given you some really excellent advice as you're switching from a fast acting insulin to a depot type insulin - let's hope you see some noticeably lower numbers this weekend :)

Have you posted before? If so, could you please copy/paste that url into your post so we could see your history? Thanks!

6. Becky and Gray-Gray

Deb & Wink and Sue and Luci like this.
  7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

We'd love to see you post more often - maybe next time if you could please post like this:

2/10 Gray-Gray AMPS 303 (or whatever the number is)...then your question, comment, et. Copy and paste your last post url into the top of that new post and give us a shout! We'd love to hear how you and Gray-Gray are doing! This group offers a lot of support, advice and help to get you through this journey :)