Switching from vetsulin to prozinc: Part 13

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and Smoky, Apr 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

Djamila, Rachel and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  2. Lisa and Smoky

I'm glad I decided on the 0.5 unit dose. I had thought to give 1 unit but with the NS numbers... his +4 BG was 93:nailbiting:
    I was thinking the prozinc might be getting too old to work. I started the vial on Feb 14 and still have half of it left yet.
    The insulin is still working if I go by his recent BG numbers. He is still sipping at his water so will give cerenia again later
    I only have 2 pre-filled syringes left of the bupe. It was nearly $100 for 10 syringes plus vets in my area are hesitant to prescribe it. He has been eating a lot less the last 3 days. Today he ate about 5 oz of food so far.

3. Lisa and Smoky

Should I check his BG again soon? He was 93 at +4 and hasn't eaten much today. I had planned on a +7 or +8 today but not sure if he will drop too low yet

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I suggest a couple more mid cycle tests so you have more data from a day when you can get it. Maybe a +6 and +8?

5. Lisa and Smoky

He just ate a couple of bites of food about an hour ago. I'm going to go do a +6 now anyway as he seems a bit lethargic.

6. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky BG at 144 at +6. This was 45 minutes after food.
    I know it shld be 2 hours after food but he seemed lethargic so tested him anyway.
    I think I'll give him more of the bupe. He appears to be having a flare up from his pancreatitis.

7. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I think right now, getting a test a little bit after food is valuable to see how he's handling the food. I'm sorry to hear he isn't feeling well! Hope the bupe helps him!

8. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky was 177 for AMPS, gave him 0.8U
    His +6 test BG was 86. He is not eating much today, only about 5 oz so far. I am used to him eating 7 or 8 cans per day, 3 oz cans.

9. Djamila

How is his weight? I think my kitties only eat 5-6oz. each/day. It's hard to tell for sure because I usually feed extra and toss some.

Yong's signature has the calorie calculator to determine how much he should be eating.

10. Lisa and Smoky

He is very underweight, only weighs 8.7 lbs but shld be at least 13. He is half Maine coon. On my way to pet store to buy another round of cat food. He is very picky so end up throwing out a lot of food.

11. Djamila

Oh that's skinny! Hope you can find something high calorie that will agree with his tummy!

12. Lisa and Smoky

It's really hard to find food for him between food allergies and the IBD

13. Lisa and Smoky

14. Kris & Teasel

15. Lisa and Smoky

I was thinking about trying it out starting tomorrow. Yong was instrumental in creating an SS for me. I am so thankful to her for doing that. I am so... not tech savvy

Djamila and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sounds great! Yeah Yong is excellent at that SS...a definite lifesaver as I am NOT the girl to mess with spreadsheets (which is silly since I'm a a web developer!).

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  17. Lisa and Smoky

Yeah but that's a different type of formatting I think for web design, isn't it?
    Smoky was 136 for PMPS so thinking 0.5 units for pm dose. I gave that on 3/20 in pm and he was OK.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Reason for edit: Add on to post
    Rachel and Djamila like this.
  18. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Most definitely is different!

19. Lisa and Smoky

Once I figure out how to add link to 13/11 SS I can add it to my signature. I'll just put info on both of them for now.

20. Djamila

21. Lisa and Smoky

Thanks, I'll try this out

22. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky was 158 for AMPS but I did a bad thing. I forgot to pick up his can of food last night before bed. There was not much left in the bowl but BG cld be food influenced. I can't stall this morning, I thought to give him 0.5 units for am but can't monitor today. Shld I give him a little less to be safe?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Reason for edit: New info
  23. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It's up to you. I think 0.5 would probably be fine, but if it makes you feel better, you could go a little less.

24. Lisa and Smoky

My roommate is home today to watch him for me, I'll give him the 0.5U.
    Thanks for the advice:)

Djamila likes this.
  25. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

He probably doesn't see that as a bad thing :woot:

Djamila likes this.
  26. Kris & Teasel

Good that he ate overnight, though. I think 0.5 u could work.

27. Lisa and Smoky

Hopefully he ate pretty well last night. He had the downstairs bowl I forgot to pick up. He also had a can of food in his petsafe feeder for overnight.:woot:
    I just realized I put in my post that I can't stalk this morning. He probably feels like I'm a stalker mommy sometimes.:joyful:

28. Kris & Teasel

I know that feeling! :)

29. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky had a pm BG of 143 so down a bit from am BG. The 143 was at +13, I'm thinking same dose for pm since its similar to am BG. What do you guys think?

Djamila likes this.
  30. Kris & Teasel

Sounds like a plan.

Djamila likes this.
  31. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky found a quiet place to go in the back of my closet. I don't know if he is hiding or just goes there when he is stressed out. It kind of seems to be after eating that he does that.

32. Kris & Teasel

Maybe his tummy bothers him after eating?

33. Lisa and Smoky

It could be that. He does go in there at other times. Maybe another dose of cerenia is needed

34. Djamila

Did he do that before the shot? Last time when Sam was ready to go OTJ, he would hide from me at shot time. I think it was his way of telling me he was done.

35. Lisa and Smoky

He does that all the time lately but more so after meals.

36. Lisa and Smoky

He has been hiding in the closet after meals. I think he has figured out that he gets a shot after he eats.

37. Kris & Teasel

Makes sense ...

38. Lisa and Smoky

The shots don't seem to bother him too much. It's difficult since he is very underweight and it's hard to give him shots when he has so little fat.
    He really hates the testing the most though. He whines, cries, growls at me, but barely notices the lancet most of the time. I don't get ito_O

39. Lisa and Smoky

I would have to write everything down to remember all those steps to merge an SS.
    I guess I'll just keep both of them and add info to each one.

40. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It's possible he's just mad at test time because he wants to eat!

41. Lisa and Smoky

I let him eat for a few minutes first while I get his testing kit ready. Smoky was 259 this morning. What the heck happened? My first thought is that he bounced hard.
    Now I'm not sure what to do about dosing this morning.:( if it's a bounce I don't want to automatically give him a much higher dose. Or shld I give him a lower dose?:eek:

42. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey Lisa, my guess would be a bounce. Unless it's possible he got into some higher carb food or something? Could also just be "oh look a squirrel" syndrome. There's really no way to know. Are you around today? You could give him a slightly higher dose if you want, but I wouldn't raise it too much in case you're seeing a bounce. Maybe 0.75?

43. Lisa and Smoky

I have to work today so can't monitor him. I was thinking no more than 1 unit. I like your idea of 0.75U better though. It sounds like a safer side for him.

44. Lisa and Smoky

I ended up giving him 0.8 units so think he shld be OK. Also left down an extra can if food.

45. Lisa and Smoky

I ended up giving him 0.8 units so think he shld be OK. Also left down an extra can if food.

46. Kris & Teasel

I think he's just protesting all the things you have to do for him - shots, ear pokes, meds. He's expressing frustration.

Lisa and Smoky likes this.
  47. Kris & Teasel

He's getting back at you another way with this PS. ;)

48. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

LOL that must be it! Yeah I'm sure he'll be fine with that!

49. Yong & Maury GA

I sent you a message in our PM. I'll take care of this for you :). Djamila's video just shows you how to link a SS, rather than me trying to type instructions :D

50. Lisa and Smoky

Thank you so much. You are the best.:bighug:

51. Lisa and Smoky

Boy, I wld say he is definitely throwing me a curve ball.:woot:

52. Yong & Maury GA

Ok my brain wasn't working so well on re-defining the ranges today so I took the lazy way for now lol. Smoky's new SS is linked within the one in your signature :D

53. Lisa and Smoky

That's good:joyful: I should really learn all this computer stuff. Thank you for everything.;)

54. Lisa and Smoky

April 26: Smoky BG at 259 for AMPS, 0.8U
    123 for PMPS
    I guess I shld have given him 0.5 units for am shot:confused: he is too low for a shot, right?

55. Djamila

If the 123 was a weird number for him, you could maybe try to shoot, but given that his normal numbers are so low, and the 259 might have been a bounce from .5u being too much the night before, and 123 is only 3 away from being a non-diabetic normal number....I would say no shot.

56. Yong & Maury GA

Immediately retest? I think I got a wonky strip tonight so retested immediately :)

57. Djamila

You could retest if you want, but 123 is certainly within Smoky's normal numbers these days. He's had quite a few NS's lately.

58. Kris & Teasel

Stall and retest? You've given 0.5 u on a PS only a bit higher. You could use a U100 to give 0.4 u.

59. Lisa and Smoky

I did retest and got a 126 BG 15 minutes later. I didn't give him a pm shot yet.

60. Yong & Maury GA

This morning may have been a little bounce ;)

61. Lisa and Smoky

I tested him a little over 13 hours since his last shot. His vet suggested skipping his shot tonight and not giving him the budesonide just to see where he is at in the morning. Good idea or not?

Djamila likes this.
  62. Yong & Maury GA

You have skipped on 19, 21, and 22 April with similar numbers. BUT have also give 0.5U on a similar number 24 April. Could go for middle ground and just do 0.25U with a before bed test? Or what Kris suggested :)

63. Lisa and Smoky

I thought about giving him a tiny dose but decided not to give him a shot tonight. I'm working early tomorrow morning so can't monitor him tonight. I don't want to set him back but wanted to see how he does without insulin or a steroid tonight. Does that make any sense at all?o_O

64. Djamila

I know I'm in the minority opinion on this, but if it was me, I'd skip.

65. Yong & Maury GA

Yes makes purrfect sense :)

66. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky BG at 215 for AMPS. I don't think it's too bad since it was 23 hours w/o insulin and no steroid last night. I'm thinking 1 to 1.5 units since I gave that on a similar number before. Is that too much considering his recent possible bounce?

67. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Honestly, Lisa, if it was me, I think I would go for 0.5 this morning. I know it's 23 hours with no insulin, but yesterday you had a higher yellow, gave 0.8, and ended up with a NS. Plus that's a beautiful preshot on no insulin. I would assume today would follow a similar pattern and I don't want to see you end up without being able to shoot again tonight.

HOWEVER, that's just my opinion. There is also the possibility that I could be completely wrong. It's totally up to you, as you hold the syringe!

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  68. Lisa and Smoky

Thanks Rachel
    I was thinking 0.8 myself

69. Kris & Teasel

If you're felling conservative, go with 0.5 u. If you're feeling braver (wrt being able to shoot tonight), try 0.8 u. My two cents ...

Rachel likes this.
  70. Lisa and Smoky

I gave him 0.5 units this morning to keep him safe since I can't monitor today. He didn't eat a lot for breakfast so left an extra bowl of food down.

71. Lisa and Smoky

Smokys pm BG was 142, nearly the same as Tues night. My question is do I give him the same dose of 0.5 units? He did have a much higher number the next morning which could have been a possible bounce? Also, I'm giving him his steroid tonight which always raises his BG.

72. Yong & Maury GA

On 20 and 24 April he was in same range, only went slightly higher from PMPS. Maybe try a fat 0.5U with a before bed test? Tuesday night may have been a small bounce.

73. Lisa and Smoky

How about a 0.6 dose and a before bed test?;)

74. Yong & Maury GA

Yeah that's pretty much a fat 0.5U :D

75. Lisa and Smoky

Yep but it's so much easier to draw up the 0.6 on a u100 than trying to eyeball a fat 0.5 units.:)

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  76. Yong & Maury GA

77. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky was 117 BG in am so it was a NS morning. I'm surprised considering I gave him the budesonide last night. I seem to be having trouble finding a dose that doesn't stop him from going too low so that I can give him a shot. He is been too low to get a shot the last few times

78. Djamila

Go Smoky!!! I'm jealous of all of your NS days!

Maybe try 0.4? And as always, any mid-cycles you can get (as you run out the door in the morning? before bed?) might help. Also, I wouldn't try to adjust the dose for the pre-shot numbers on this low of a dose. Just try to hold it steady, and then give NS if he's too low.

79. Kris & Teasel

I like this idea of holding the dose at these low PSs.

80. Lisa and Smoky

81. Djamila

Lisa, I just saw your post over in the main forum. I'm so sorry to hear that Smoky isn't feeling well! Just looking at his numbers I was hoping the weight would start piling back on. I don't have any suggestions that you aren't already doing, I just wanted to send you some love and healing vines...

82. Lisa and Smoky

83. Lisa and Smoky

I just tested Smoky for PMPS, it was 142 which was the same as last night. I like the suggestion of 0.4 units for tonight's dose.

84. Yong & Maury GA

Do you know how many calories Smoky is eating every day?

85. Lisa and Smoky

He was eating about 350 to 400 a day on a slow day

86. Kris & Teasel

I know you've been doing everything you can to help him. I wonder if something like a digestive enzyme supplement might help?

87. Yong & Maury GA

88. Lisa and Smoky

I was thinking about that too Kris. I've no clue what to get for him though.:bookworm:

89. Lisa and Smoky

90. Kris & Teasel

You could post on the main health forum to ask about it.

91. Lisa and Smoky

I did post there too. I've had some responses already:)

92. Lisa and Smoky

He has not been eating that much lately.
    I struggle with getting him to eat even 3 small cans of food per day this past week. He barely comes out of my closet now. He comes out for food, water, and cat box and the right back to the closet. He was out laying on the bed and in the windows a week ago.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Reason for edit: New info
  93. Lisa and Smoky

I'm exhausted tonight and need to go to bed soon. I barely slept at all worrying about my boy last night. I work tomorrow and hate leaving him alone all day.

94. Yong & Maury GA

I hate it too. I've had a couple days of what it will taste like when I start working a full-time job. I asked my mum to stop by this afternoon to check on Maury for me because he was acting funny. Numbers are / were normal so I think he just wanted attention. I know I can't always ask her to do that though :oops:. I didn't ask on Tuesday though :D

95. Kris & Teasel

Is a vet check something to consider at this point?

96. Lisa and Smoky

He is due for a checkup in a week. I'm calling the vet on Monday to see if I can get him in next week

97. Djamila

Lisa, why are you still awake?!? You need some sleep! Sending you peaceful, sleepy vines...

98. Lisa and Smoky

I fell asleep on the bed with Smoky for about an hour. Got up and jumped in shower and going to bed now. Thanks for sending the sleeping vines:bighug:

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  99. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Definitely get yourself some rest, Lisa. I know it's tough, but you need sleep to help you stay calm for Smoky. And you'll feel better with some rest too!

100. Lisa and Smoky

I felt bad for my boy tonight. He was laying on the bed with me again and looked pretty comfy. I had to disturb him to test his BG and give him a pm shot.:(
    After that he went back and hid in the closet again.:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.