Switching to Lantus from Prozinc.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Betchadeb, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

Hi, I am switching my Skylar from Prozinc to Lantus tomorrow morning. I am nervous about it but I feel that this is best for her. She is currently on 4 units AM and 3 1/2 in the PM depending on her blood tests. What dose should I start her on??? I haven't updated her spread sheet in quite a while and for the life of me I can not figure out how to get back to the spread sheet to up date it. Oh technology :). I have cancer and am being treated for it, so I have not had a lot of time to update the sheet, but I do test Skylar and have her log books. I will be home for around 4 weeks and then to the cancer institute for surgery for about a week, so I figured that this is the time to go ahead and switch Skylar to the Lantus. PLEASE tell me what would be a good dose to start her on. I was thinking 2 units. Thanks for your help

2. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

I got to the spread sheet and updated it.

3. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi there,

can you edit your title line to add something like" 1st dose advise" and also to change the prefix to the question mark? You'll get more ppl with this specific knowledge to stop by. I am hesitant to comment on the starting dose because current ProZ dose is to be taken into consideration and I have no experience. Many cats do better on L - I hope you girl is one of them!

A few things I know:

-dosing Lantus after non depot type insulin is like learning from the beginning. The most important is to change your testing routine to L specifics - for instance it is often enough onsets at +2, not as late as Proz does, so taking test at +2 is the best thing for starters (both AM and PM). It also often produces "double dip" - another, post nadir lowering of the BG level late in cycle - ECID, of course.

-Lantus, unlike Proz, is best when given consistently 12h apart and keeping the dose as per your dosing method. With L you base your dosing on the lowest, the nadir of the cycle - and give the preshot values only relative significance.

-which protocol - TR or SLGL do you follow? Might be helpful to review it again - Sticky notes @beginning of the forum.

IMHO, lowering by 2U might be too much...

As I said earlier - do add this language "1st dose advise" + a question mark symbol from the drop down menu on the far left of the title line. to your title to attract experience eyes.

See you on L&L!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  4. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

great idea, I will do that now.. Thanks

5. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

Hi, I am switching my Skylar from Prozinc to Lantus tomorrow morning. I am nervous about it but I feel that this is best for her. She is currently on 4 units AM and 3 1/2 in the PM depending on her blood tests. What dose should I start her on??? I haven't updated her spread sheet in quite a while and for the life of me I can not figure out how to get back to the spread sheet to up date it. Oh technology :). I have cancer and am being treated for it, so I have not had a lot of time to update the sheet, but I do test Skylar and have her log books. I will be home for around 4 weeks and then to the cancer institute for surgery for about a week, so I figured that this is the time to go ahead and switch Skylar to the Lantus. PLEASE tell me what would be a good dose to start her on. I was thinking 2 units. Thanks for your help

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Typically we take the current dose of Prozinc into consideration when switching. And we also dose the same amount AM and PM. Since the 4 units of Prozinc was getting Skylar into green and some cats show a strong reaction to a change in insulin, I wouldn't go any more than 3.5 units to start. Are you able to test a bit more frequently the first couple of cycles? Just in case Skylar is one of those that has a strong reaction to the change.

Do you have the U-100 syringes for the Lantus?

7. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

I was able to put the last few weeks of blood sugars in the spread sheet.

8. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

I will be home so yes I am able to test her more. Should I test every 2 hours?

9. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

Yes, I have U-100 3/10 cc 31 guage with 1/2 unit markings.

10. Tanya and Ducia

every 2h for 12 h is good curve but I am not sure if it makes sense to run full curve on your 1st day of L because of its cumulative nature.
    I would definitely take the preshot and the +2, and then depending on what you read.
    But Wendy might have better plan.

11. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

Hopefully Wendy will chime in. Thank you for your help.

12. Wendy&Neko

The starting instructions are to test every 3 hours to start. Sooner if the numbers warrant it. If you post here tomorrow and keep the post updated with the numbers, someone can help suggest if testing should be more frequent. My vet suggested going to 1 hour testing if Neko went below 100.

13. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

Thank you Wendy. I will test every 3 hours, maybe sooner depending on the readings. I will keep up to date info on her spread sheet also.

14. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

Should I start with 3 units?

15. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I don't have any dosing advise but welcome.

Has Skylar been on Prozinc since diagnosis (09/16)? Are you going to do TR or SLGS method?

16. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you going to be able to keep a close eye on her over the next few days?

17. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I've merged both of Deb's threads from today. :)

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  18. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey and Welcome to Lantus and good luck with your first day. We'll be looking out for you. :cat:

19. Wendy&Neko

It's up to you if you want to go a little lower and start at 3 units of Lantus. It's easier to go up than have to fight lower numbers. What type of food is Skylar eating now?

20. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

Good Morning. Skylar has been on prozinc since her diagnosis. She eats EZComplete.. I will start with 3 units as I don't want her going to low. Here we go.. Thanks for merging the 2 threads together.

21. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

O.K. We are on our Lantus journey. Skylars BS was 279 this morning and I started her with 3 units. I will test her in 2 hours and post it.
    11 am was 235, so it is going down, yeah. im praying that Lantus will get & keep her in the greens.

22. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

1 pm she was 200 and had EZComplete.

23. Tanya and Ducia

This AM cycle looks so good so far!:) Very nice, easy &gradual decent - really good Lantus cycle,I wish my Ducia has more like it. I wonder if you are going to see good Blue PMPS tonight.
    On the housekeeping side: Could you please update your Signature to Lantus , date started and its current dosage v. Vetsulin as it now?
    Dosing approaches are very different and it is easier for ppl to understand/ advice if it is up to day.
    (Click on your avatar and theno n Signature)

24. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

oops, yes I will update. I'm sorry. Thanks for the commenting. I hope this is going to get h numbers in the green and possibly into remission for her. Praying for the blues tonight, lol.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  25. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

Should I continue to test Skylar every 2 hours tomorrow?

26. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

We have our first Blue :0)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.