? TANK hasn't been dropping much. A lot of YELLOW?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by harleywulf, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harleywulf

harleywulf Member

Hasn't seemed to be dropping much post injections +6 since raising his dose. Nothing else has changed. Maintaining weight, eating normal, no increase in drinking or urine output.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It looks like Tank needs an increase to 7.0 units. He is getting some blues , which is a good sign, but still all upper blues so you can increase per SLGS. I do see the odd spot on his spreadsheet where you didn't get any preshot tests or didn't enter them. The PM cycle of the 5th and AM cycle of the 6th. We are very data driven here, any and all test data you have should be entered into the spreadsheet. It'll help us help you and Tank.

Here is the link to your last post here, so people can see the history.

One thought to leave with you. When kitties get over 6 units in dose, we suggest getting them tested for what we call high dose conditions, specifically acromegaly and IAA (insulin auto antibodies). My Neko had both of them. One in four diabetic cats has acromegaly, which is a benign tumour on the pituitary that sends out excess growth hormone, causing the diabetes. There are quite a few of them on this forum. Not all acrokitties have high doses, but cats with high doses usually have some secondary condition contributing to the need for higher amounts of insulin. To get these tests done, your vet would draw blood and send it to Michigan State University.

3. harleywulf

harleywulf Member

Ok thanks. Yes there were a couple days I was not present to test him. I'll have to run that past our vet then. We just were told to drop to 6 units from 7 not long ago and have worked our way back up to 6.5 now. He does not travel well at all so I will see if we can get a house call blood draw perhaps.

4. Wendy&Neko

By the way, the research that 1 in 4 diabetics has acromegaly is fairly new, so if your vet hasn't kept up to date with it, he/she may be part of the old school that thinks it's rare. I had to do some convincing of my vet to get the tests done. Finally asked her to humour me.

5. harleywulf

harleywulf Member

Ok thank you

6. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

the protocol does say it's time for an increase.
    you can increase to 6.75 or to 7.0 units Unless you aren't going to be around to monitor, I would go with the increase to 7.0.

sometimes you wind up chasing a good dose amount.

harleywulf likes this.
  7. harleywulf

harleywulf Member

Will do tonight for the PM

8. Wendy&Neko

SLGS is not a formal protocol, but rather a dosing method based on years of experience here. TR is the only formal protocol.

I would increase to 7.0 units. At 6.5 units, a 0.25 unit increase is a drop in the bucket. Plus you get to stay on the line for measuring the dose. :cool:

9. harleywulf

harleywulf Member

My eyesight is bad enough trying to see half and quarter ticks. Last time he was on 7 he had a good curve. Thanks

10. harleywulf

harleywulf Member

So today Tank at 7 units was AMPS 282, +6 132 and just now PMPS was 202. Should I be safe with the 7 units again? I'm planning on cking +4 and hopefully +6 tonight still

11. Wendy&Neko

As long as you have plenty of test strips and some high carb food tonight, I would shoot and monitor like you have suggested.

harleywulf likes this.
  12. harleywulf

harleywulf Member

Ok will do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.