Testing advice? -- tested low, +3.5 49

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patricia & Noodle, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patricia & Noodle

Patricia & Noodle Well-Known Member

Hello again!

Noodle and I are finally getting into the swing of things at home (it's been almost 2 weeks). I've gotten much better with insulin injections thanks to the tips, videos, and pictures here, she has barely noticed me the past 3 days! BUT, we have not mastered home testing.

She's been stuck in prison (my small bedroom) since she got home because my roommate and her cat are in the process of moving out and her cat has been quite aggressive the past month anyways. I don't want to risk the stress on her or the chance of her getting into her civvie roommate's food.

We've tried testing once every day or two, but I've yet to be successful. She doesn't have anywhere to run, but I don't want to make her relaxation spots, like the bed, testing spots since it's stressful right now. Right now, I'm thinking putting her in a burrito is the only way I'll get it. I just hate the idea of testing being such a negative experience for her--is it that bad to try that strategy? Will giving her freeze dried chicken bribes before/during/after her test affect her values? I feel rather helpless, I can barely test myself and feel guilty doing it to her.

In other news, her bloodwork was nearly all back to normal by Monday last week! She's eating like a pro, 3x 3oz Purina proplan kitten a day (still trying to help her get more calories, don't want to change food w/o testing anyways!). We are doing 1/2 tab of Cypro in the morning just as a precaution and reevaluating at the vet Friday. AND she puked up a hair tie tonight (just looked at it for a bit and went right back to eating afterwards o_O)..... She had what looked like one in her stomach her first night in the ER 1.18, but not on the ultrasound the next day. I don't know if this is the same one or she has a new bad habit, either way I'm locking up my hair supplies! ER vet thought it was just an incidental sidebar with everything else going on (FD, ketosis, FHL), but could it being gone affect her BG? Even more of a reason for me to master testing!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
    Reason for edit: Crisis handled. Removed 911 icon.
  2. "Will giving her freeze dried chicken bribes before/during/after her test affect her values?"

It is very unlikely that freeze dried chicken treats (assuming no additives) will have any noticeable effect on her BG. If "before, during and after treats" are the magic that works, go for it!

3. Patricia & Noodle

I got a test from her back paw, it was 49 on a relion micro, we are at +3.5, what do I do??? I have gravy food, karo and a syringe, and HC treats.

Edit: She was hungry (as always, thanks Cypro), so I gave 1/4 can of her regular LC wet food, will test again at 10:30?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  4. It was 1u of Lantus?
    But not sure what her BG was at shot time, right?

5. Patricia & Noodle

Yes 1U Lantus, don't know PMPS.

After starting at vet, she hung around the 100s and would go a bit over 200 around +11-12 when her next shot was due.

6. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

you've earned a dose reduction with that number below 50. Next dose will be 0.75 u....

you have nothing to lose now , so you can feed.. to bump her up.
    since you are having a hard time testing consistently especially.

7. I would give her a tsp of gravy food and give that 30 minutes, then test again.

8. Patricia & Noodle

I don't know why I didn't try her paws in the first place. :banghead:

I can order 1/2 U syringes but right now I only have 3/100 with 1U marked. Any easy way to tell .75U?

She was due for a little food anyways, I've been giving 1/2 can around 11pm before bed because of her appetite. She killed her 1/4 can so I'll give the rest? LC?

9. Patricia & Noodle

Should I just put some gravy on top of the LC?

10. Patricia & Noodle

Ok, she's finishing that now (as the other cat freaks out outside my room heading cans open).

11. The food should raise her BG. You just don't want her stuffed in case you need to feed more.

12. Patricia & Noodle

Stuffed & not hungry has not been a problem recently. Along with being unregulated (and dipping lower than I expected), she's on 1/2 tab Cypro every morning as a precaution after FHL. She's been ravenous. Since she's finished, I'll test again in 30min, 11pm EST?

13. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Protocol for dealing with low numbers (below 50 mg/dL on a human meter; below 68 mg/dL on a pet meter):
    feed 1-2 teaspoons of high carb
    wait 20-30 minutes
    re-test
    repeat as needed
    Continue until a) rising, b) safely above 50 mg/dL, and c) past the probable nadir.

Full version here.

14. @BJM
    BJ, can you keep an eye out? I have to get up for work in six hours.

15. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I'll do my best; may need to wrangle someone from Lantus/Levemir as the sleep disorder is back now that I'm off the prednisone.

16. I posted in L & L for "eyes".

Patricia, you're doing fine with this!

17. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I can be here for quite a while yet if it helps - after having to get Rosa's numbers up the last few days, I know the routine pretty well now.

18. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes, please. Recent experience means you'll understand what she's going through!

19. Patricia & Noodle

Thanks, everyone! I'm testing again momentarily. Just trying to get some food in myself, too. Realized I haven't had dinner....

20. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

how many mg on the cypro?
    if she's really ravenous, you might try cutting the dose down. I give mine just a crumb.

21. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Maybe put on a pot of coffee or tea, too. You'll need to keep monitoring until at least 7 hours after the shot, possibly longer.

Pop up that link I gave you, since you're having some trouble testing. The symptoms list will help you monitor for visual clues.

22. @manxcat419
    April, that's great if you could keep an eye out too!

manxcat419 likes this.
  23. manxcat419

@BJM - oh I do. It's still early here so I'm good for quite a while yet.

@Patricia & Noodle - just post up the number when you have it and we'll take it from there. I second the tea or coffee suggestion - very important when you're in for a late night.

24. Thanks Rhiannon!

25. Patricia & Noodle

2mg before breakfast and shot. I was thinking we could cut down to maybe 1mg, but wanted to run it by her vet at her check up Friday.

@BJM I've got my Tassimo and your link at the ready! Testing was actually pretty easy once I wrapped her up and used her back foot pad instead of trying her ear yet again.

26. Patricia & Noodle

+4.5 52 (plus one very offended kitty and one bit hand)

27. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Um ... towel wrap next time and wear long sleeves and pants!

MollynSkooter likes this.
  28. Patricia & Noodle

And now she's under the bed! Spoke too soon about testing being "easy"... she's onto me.

29. Patricia & Noodle

I'm gonna need a bigger towel. :blackeye:

1 tsp more gravy?

30. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

And from the Lantus/Levemir sticky here:
    "If your cat is testing in low numbers and you are not getting a quick response to your post, there are several things you need to do. (Low numbers are under 50mg/dL or 2.8 mmol/L.)

• Depending on how carbohydrate sensitive your cat is, feed approximately a teaspoon or less of gravy from high carb food or high carb food only.
      (If you have a cat with GI issues, using a couple of drops of syrup plus low carb food is an alternative.)
    • Test again in 15 – 20 min. Depending on the numbers, give more HC food.
    • Repeat the above steps every 15 – 20 min. until your cat tests in the 50 mg/dL (2.8 mmol/L) or above range for 2 consecutive tests. Continue to feed in small amounts to keep numbers in a safe range.
    • Test in 30 - 40 min. and repeat the test and feed process until there are 2 consecutive tests where numbers are stable or rising.
    • Test in an hour and follow the same steps.
    DO NOT become complacent. If number have risen after one or two tests, it’s important to continue testing. Numbers may bobble up and down as the HC food and/or Karo wear off. DO NOT get one test where your cat has risen from low numbers into the 50s and go to sleep or leave the house. You are putting your cat in a risky situation. When in doubt, leave HC food out.

In the case of an accidental overdose or should there be symptoms of hypoglycemia, even if you have caught this in the early stages, you may need to monitor for literally 16 or more hours. Lantus and Levemir are long acting types of insulin. This means if your cat is over dose, you will need to stay alert for hours in order to closely monitor and to keep your cat safe.

Please post your numbers. Those people who are helping you will not abandon you. In fact, they are staying up with you. The experienced people will even work in shifts to make sure your cat is safe and you have the support you need. Remember to refresh your browser to see new posts and keep posting so we know all is well."

31. manxcat419

From experience with Rosa recently, although she's just above 50 now I'd still give just a little more gravy - just a tsp - if you use just the gravy she won't get too full if you need to get more into her later. She's probably not at nadir yet so that should help avoid her going back under 50 as she gets closer to mid-cycle. And test again in half an hour to make sure she's not dropping back...hopefully without getting bitten again!

32. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Note: Gravy can wear off quickly, so feed a 1 teaspoon of the gravy plus a teaspoon of the normal food (to help maintain the glucose level)

manxcat419 likes this.
  33. Patricia & Noodle

Thanks, she's taking 1 tsp more now and I'll test again at 11:30.

edit: "taking 1 tsp more" = licking the plate and spoon clean. looking like 2mg of Cypro is verrryy cautious of me.

34. manxcat419

OK, I'm not going anywhere - I'll be here for her next test.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  35. Patricia & Noodle

36. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

One more time for posterity (feeding 1 tsp gravy, 1 tsp regular food).
    At least 2 more hours to go.

manxcat419 likes this.
  37. Patricia & Noodle

Alright! I tried to put some neosporin + pain relief on her little feet but she won't let me. talk about trial by fire with home testing.

38. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

That may be one where you put some on a cloth, then pick her up and put your hand, with the cloth, under the foot for support. (sneakily, in other words).

39. manxcat419

I was just typing the same thing when your reply showed up.

Patricia, you and Noodle are doing great - she's staying above 50 for now so we've just got to make sure she stays there. Testing this frequently is tough - I know that, and Rosa doesn't like the neosporin on her paws either though I insist on her having a little so you're not alone with having a battle over that one.

The cloth sounds like a good idea - I hadn't thought of that!

40. Patricia & Noodle

I should get a +5.5 yes?

In non-meter observations, I did notice just before that first test she is more agile than she's been since she came home. Still using an ottoman to jump on the high bed, but got up with a 1-2 bounce!

41. manxcat419

Yes please - to make sure she's still rising or at least not dropping.

42. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I believe these are the tests you've posted so far:
    +3.5 ~ 49 mg/dL
    +4.5 ~ 52 mg/dL
    +5.0 ~ 54 mg/dL

43. Patricia & Noodle

Correct.

+5.5 - 61

44. manxcat419

OK, looking good now - she's coming back up nicely. Can you offer her some low carb food to keep her levels up. Oh, and sorry - but another test in half an hour.

45. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Rinse and repeat on the food.

46. manxcat419

And take a few deep breaths - I know it's scary the first time they drop low. But she's doing great and so are you.

47. Patricia & Noodle

More gravy, too?

She stayed calm enough for me to get some neosporin on her feet. Thank goodness she's treat motivated.

48. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes, a teaspoon of each.

Given the +/- 20% meter error variance, those numbers are essentially the same. You'll need to keep going at least past +7.

49. Patricia & Noodle

Should I think about giving more carbs?

You know what, I might not be giving a full tsp, let me measure more exactly.

50. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes - 1 teaspoon gravy; 1 teaspoon regular food.

Be sure to refresh your browser to catch all the posts.

51. manxcat419

I haven't been doing gravy with Rosa once she's above 60, but she usually keeps coming up once she hits 60. BJM has more experience than I do so please go with her advice on this.

52. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I'm having her mix a teaspoon of each - low carb to continue boosting the immediate numbers and regular to help build some stability to them. Its basically like feeding medium carb by itself.

An option, if you are not able to stay up monitoring, is to abort the cycle, basically fill her up with high carb and then some, so you won't worry.

manxcat419 likes this.
  53. Patricia & Noodle

Sorry, I meant more than the 1 tsp! I'm stuck using my mobile browser so refreshing is all over the place. The roommate who's moving out decided to cancel the Internet before my new installation kit arrived, so no laptop for me.

I have a few more hours left in me. The thing that worries me is I cannot monitor tomorrow basically from +2 to +11 (if I'm lucky). The AM shot is making me nervous.

54. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

My Android has a button that will let me refresh; what are you using?

And if Noodle is hungry enough, maybe make it 1 teaspoon of high carb to 2 teaspoons low carb.

55. Patricia & Noodle

iPhone, but with the updates coming fast & furious (appreciated!) I keep getting behind once I start typing.

56. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Got a +6.0 ?

57. Patricia & Noodle

She'll be happy to hear that ;)

+6 - 69

58. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

+3.5 ~ 49
    +4.5 ~ 52
    +5.0 ~ 54
    +5.5 ~ 61
    +6.0 ~ 69

Good - around a 40% increase over 50 mg/dL. We want that sustained, so continue with the low carb at this point, but keep checking at 30 minute intervals.

manxcat419 likes this.
  59. Patricia & Noodle

Ok so low carb, no gravy?

60. manxcat419

Should be safe to drop the gravy at this point. Plus you want to make sure she can sustain the increase without it too.

61. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Noodle is up 40% and we don't want her glucose to skyrocket, so low carb should help maintain the glucose without totally boosting.
    If she drops at the next test, then boost again with some gravy.

I've got to crash for the night; I'll check in the morning to see how it went.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  62. Patricia & Noodle

+6.5 - 81

She is so, so mad at me right now. So much yelling when I tried to test on her back paws again. I tried the front and got a sample. Is there anything I can do to soothe her right now? I just feel awful. First night testing and we have to go every half hour.

@BJM thank you so much for all your help.

63. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Does she like catnip??

64. manxcat419

OK, she's doing well. 81 is a good number :) She's doing fine without the high carb now. Rosa gets mad with that much testing too - unfortunately, it just has to be done. I usually talk to Rosa the whole time I'm doing the test - just nonsense in a soothing voice. And afterwards I let her run off and hide if she wants to until the next test time. I test on whichever paw or ear I can get to at the time - and I try changing it around every 2 or 3 tests too so I'm not hitting the exact same spot every 30 minutes. As long as she keeps coming up, you're getting closer to the end of the tests she's going to need tonight now.

One more in another half hour (I know, it's upsetting when they're hating the testing, but better that than her drop back down and you not know about it).

65. Patricia & Noodle

She definitely does. I just got her some new catnip toys yesterday to make her bedroom prison less miserable. I just thought about putting some more on her cardboard scratcher. I'm getting the silent treatment right now, though.

Attached Files:

66. manxcat419

She will come around, really she will. Rosa hates the testing when it's really frequent, but now after a few days of it, she'll come and sit on my lap or behind me on the chair in between tests. It's probably a shock to her system - she has no idea what you're doing or why. Catnip would help for sure as she likes it though.

67. Chris & China (GA)

sounds like she just needs time and some reconditioning, whether you use her ears or her paw pads

What most cats object to is that you're touching their ears (or paws)....not the actual poke, so what we've found to work with almost every cat is to choose a "testing spot" (I chose my kitchen counter because it already had 2 ways of escape blocked off...the wall and the backsplash) but a spot on the floor or a towel on a couch...something that says "this is it" is fine. As many times a day as you can, take Noodle there and just give his ears (or paws...or both) a quick rub and then he gets a yummy snack. China loved a little piece of boiled chicken...some cats love freeze dried meats of some kind, but whatever works for her is fine

The more you take her there and get her used to having you rub, push, pat and otherwise "manipulate" her ears/paws, (with that treat coming immediately after) the more she's going to associate that spot with the yummy treats and will start ignoring what you're doing with her ears/paws

manxcat419 likes this.
  68. Patricia & Noodle

I understand! The situation is a little tough right now being confined in the bedroom. Thankfully, within the next week she will have free reign again and I'll be able to find a testing spot that's not so close to her relaxing/cuddle spot and the transition will hopefully be less traumatic going forward.

She didn't want to come and eat between shots this time (but she's eating some now), so this reading is all on her own:

+7 - 84

69. manxcat419

That's good. Now you know she's holding at a decent level without food. Can you get one more test in an hour just to make sure she's still rising?

I agree, it'll be easier once she can go back to having the run of the place - most cats don't much like being confined even though it's necessary sometimes.

70. Patricia & Noodle

I'll set an alarm to make sure I don't doze.

Question about the morning, she's due her AM shot at 6am, so +11.5 from her last shot (was a bit late tonight due to work + making sure she ate enough after she threw up).

I'll test before and probably post in the Lantus forum for advice, but I definitely won't be able to monitor her beyond +2.5 and until +11 (if I'm lucky). I'm just not sure how to handle the dose or if I should even think about shooting.

71. manxcat419

If you can doze with an alarm set, I would do. You might as well get as much sleep as you can.

I'd post for advice before shooting - I've not been doing this long enough to be sure and I won't advise if I'm going to tell you something that's wrong. I've just had to ask for dosing advice for Rosa myself in the Lantus forum. I do understand your concern - I've been pretty much tied to the house for the last 4 days as Rosa's numbers have been dropping low and quickly so with having to be out of the house for a lot of the cycle, getting some advice is definitely a good idea.

72. Chris & China (GA)

What's going to be REALLY important is to get your spreadsheet up and working

That spreadsheet is every bit as valuable as a tool as the correct food and insulin. Here's "Getting your spreadsheet set up and link into your signature"

If you have trouble with it, let us know. We have several people who will be happy to set them up for you and teach you how to use them

And with that, it's time for this old lady to get some well deserved Zzzzzzz's!

73. Patricia & Noodle

I'll get the spreadsheet up when we have working Internet again! Big thanks to the soon to be ex roommate for canceling without checking that I had everything ready...

Thanks for the advice @Chris & China !

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  74. Chris & China (GA)

well in the meantime, make sure you're writing down any tests you get so when you get the program working, you'll have those numbers to put into it

75. Patricia & Noodle

I've got a dedicated notebook!

76. Patricia & Noodle

+8 - 74

what do I do?? that's within +/- 20% of her +7 - 84, but still a drop.

77. manxcat419

It is, isn't it. How long after her shot does she usually nadir or do you not really know just yet?

78. Patricia & Noodle

I really have no idea yet. I gave a little more gravy just in case.

79. manxcat419

Doesn't sound like a bad idea as she's down from where she was. If you have to sleep, you could give her a lot of carbs to make sure she doesn't keep dropping. Or you can go back to monitoring her, but you might have to do a 30 minute test next to make sure she isn't going to go lower.

80. Patricia & Noodle

I'm going to test her again at +8.5, I don't even know how sleep will be possible with the way I'm worrying.

81. manxcat419

I know exactly how you feel - even when I know Rosa's up enough for the night for me to sleep, it usually takes me a while to actually get to sleep. I think about 'what ifs' too much!

82. manxcat419

I'm going to jump in the shower really quickly, but I'll be back for your +8.5.

83. Patricia & Noodle

84. manxcat419

No worries - we're all in this together one way or another. And don't forget to breathe...some very good advice I was given the first time this happened to Rosa! You're going to be fine, and Noodle's going to be fine. You're doing really well here and right now she's not at any risk with numbers in the 70's. So although you need to test her again, she's doing fine overall. :bighug:

85. Patricia & Noodle

Well, that escalated quickly...

+8.5 - 139 ???

86. manxcat419

Now that's looking good. I suspect a bounce starting there! She's most likely safe, but you might want to get one more test in an hour just to make sure.

87. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I've been watching but not stepped in until now. In the last half of the cycle, the insulin is waning and it doesn't take as many calories to get kitty up. You could test again in 1/2 hour. April said one hour, but I like to maximize sleep. If she's up a lot in 1/2 hour you can safely sleep.

88. Patricia & Noodle

I tried to test myself a couple times just to check the meter and three error messages later I have a real appreciation for what I've been doing to poor Noodle all night. No wonder she's hiding from me!

89. Patricia & Noodle

Thanks, Wendy. I think I'll check at +9 to get a better idea of what I'm working with here. If she hasn't permanently attached herself to the carpet with her nails....

90. manxcat419

Thanks for stepping in - I was erring on the side of extreme caution being fairly new to this myself. I really appreciate the help :)

91. manxcat419

I accidentally got myself with the lancet just once - it did sting a little, but there are more nerve endings in fingertips than anywhere we usually test on cats. It's most likely more the change to her routine and wondering why you're holding her still and doing 'weird things' than it being overly painful for her.

92. Patricia & Noodle

She is yelping a bit with the prick, but she's always been very vocal even when I clip her nails--which I know doesn't cause agonizing pain! I guess that's why the paw testing is easier, I have the strategy down from nail trims.

93. manxcat419

When Rosa's feeling feisty, I find her paw easier too. My vet told me they prefer people to use the paw, but that was mostly because they weren't happy with me changing doses and monitoring at home anyway - they had to try and come up with something I was doing wrong!! I usually start getting growled at when I start having to test every 30 minutes, but in between times she's fine now (she wasn't the first night though). They do get used to it even if they don't understand it. And yes, both of my 2 make such a fuss when they get their nails clipped that you'd think they were having their feet cut off - and we all know nail clipping doesn't hurt. Cats just like to complain sometimes!

94. Patricia & Noodle

+9 - 117

Within +/- 20% again, I just don't know what to do here. I'm not sleeping tonight, am I?

95. manxcat419

At +9 she should be fine, but I'm not 100% sure as she keeps going lower as soon as she's not getting the higher carb food. She's safe at 117 but I'd expect her to be rising towards her next shot by now - I'm not sure why she keeps going that bit lower, or at the very least is level, between tests. Let me shout out on the thread in the Lantus forum and see if we can get more eyes on this one as she's not reacting quite how I'd expect at this point.

96. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The effects of gravy can wear off after a couple of hours, so some of the gravy you gave her two hours ago is starting to wear off and consequently the numbers are dropping a bit. You last gave her gravy 1 hour ago I think? Honestly, she's high enough now, that if you want you can give her a couple of tsp more of low carb food and go to sleep. I wouldn't feed her anything more after this as you want to with hold food for 2 hours before the next preshot time as it can impact the preshot value.

97. manxcat419

Thanks Wendy - I was pretty sure she should be safe, but wanted a second opinion before I said she could be left for the night.

98. Patricia & Noodle

Ok, her next shot is due at 6. I'll give her a little food and try to get some rest.

Honestly, I am anticipating skipping her next shot since I'll have to be working for most of the cycle tomorrow. I'm in outside sales and have a higher up riding with me, so I can't pop home at all. I'm already pushing it by saying I need to be home at 5 for her Denamarin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.