That pesky Somogyi

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marlena, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

I couldn't understand what was happening with Rocky's BGs as his numbers were creeping up.
    I did not believe that he was bouncing from last hypo as he did not bounced up high straight away and his dose is so small that I just couldn't see a possibility of Somogyi effect so the dose went up a little and I ended up with yellow numbers all day yesterday and a cat who was not happy at all. I suspected some urinary problems but as luck has it I couldn't catch Rocky going for a wee ( I usually have to stalk him in the garden with a dish and a big salad spoon ha ha ha!).
    Today is my lucky day: I lowered Rocky's dose and bingo! his PMPS was back to blue number. I also managed to persuade him to give me a urine sample and the test came back normal!
    It is of course too early yet to come to the right conclusion so I need to gather data for next few days and we will see whether in fact it was Somogyi.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  2. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Hi Marlena - in general you are doing a great job. Rocky's numbers look fantastic. You have him regulated almost to a tee. I wish I could get Leo into that zone. I don't know much about Somogyi, and never dealt with it to my knowledge.

Marlena likes this.
  3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

LOL! :D

Marlena likes this.
  4. Marlena

I wrote this post so we all can learn from each other's experience.
    I need few more days to see a record of Rocky's BGs to see clearly what is going on. So far low numbers follow reductions of insulin dose.

5. Marlena

Jeff, my situation with Rocky is different than yours as Leo has some serious health problems and is on meds which would really make it difficult to regulate his diabetes.
    Kudos to you for giving everything you can to your dear kitty.
    Sending best regards and purrs from Rocky

6. Marlena

Young, it is quite effective strategy!
    Hugs:cat:

7. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Thanks Rocky and Marlena. Leo is my sweetie. He rewarded me with low numbers all day long today, lots of purrs, and a strong appetite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.