The daily blood tests--for a newbie from a newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FranklinsMom, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

I'm still in my first week of doing this blood tests, for me in the morning and at night before feeding Franklin and then his insulin shot. So still getting the hang of it. This morning was an expensive morning--three strips. I had poked once and saw some blood, turned around and pushed the strip in the meter only to have the blood smear against his ear and I couldn't get any for a reading. (I read somewhere or maybe saw on a video that it is good practice to put the strip partially in the meter but not all the way until you have blood flow.) So I remembered seeing the picture of the "sweet spot" posted here http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/need-an-advice.181944/#post-2016725 and so I tried to make sure I was close to the top of the ear for the next poke. Bingo!

I turned around to get the meter and as I did that, Franklin shook his head, probably because he felt something funny on his ear. I turned back around ready to go with strip inserted in meter and was horrified! There was a spot of blood on the floor about an inch in diameter. But I focused and got blood from his ear and was successful this time. (We are at 401.)

Despite me being horrified, Franklin just purred the whole time. He knew his breakfast was coming after we did this.

So for other newbies worried about hurting their cat with the routine blood test, they do seem to get used to it and that photo of the sweet spot is very helpful. And as I said, Franklin just purred the whole time.

I'm still using the lancing device but plan to try just using the lancet soon.

And also for the newbies--from day one, Franklin has not had a problem with the insulin shots.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This is the type of post that helps other new people a lot!! :) And yes to having the strip partially inserted into the meter.

FranklinsMom and Tanya and Ducia like this.
  3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Great post! Can relate to the dreaded headshake! I got ready to go out one summer day and put on a totally white outfit and then, as I usually do, went to test my little sugar before I left the house. Well wasn't that the day she decided to honour me with the dreaded headshake and I ended up with blood on my clothes! :arghh::arghh::banghead::banghead:. Needless to say my routine has now changed! I've had to clean tiny blood spatters off the floor, walls, kitchen cupboards etc. It's just part of the ritual! Maybe we should warn people about it more! :p

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Wonderful post. Great encouragement for all.

Here are a few tips, 1) strip half way in yes, practice the final pushing with one hand (meter flat on table) using fingers on side of strip. This way you can hold the ear with other hand or hold his head so they don't shake. 2) spot treat clothes that have blood using Lestoil. You can apply lestoil and even wash later if you have to but sooner is better. Actually works for just about all stains as long as it hasn't been washed in. I had to wear white uniforms in the 70's-90's as well as the cap. Been using lestoil since then. It really works and on grass stains to.

FranklinsMom likes this.
  5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Great encouragement for other "newbies"

With the AT2 meter you have 2 minutes from the time you push the strip in until the meter times out. You can test this yourself by insering a strip (without doing a blood test) and counting the time until the meter turns itself off. It appears that pet meters allow some extra time since pets are not always co-operative with glucose testing. ;)

FranklinsMom likes this.
  6. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Great post !!

And so true, do try without the lancet device I think is a lot easier without it and just the lancet

FranklinsMom likes this.
  7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Very inspiring post for new members :)
    Another tip for blood stains is hydrogen peroxide. Works better on new stains but also helps old stains :D

8. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

bump for new members!

Yong & Maury GA and FranklinsMom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.