Tigger in hospital! Pancreatitis! SPEC fPL 47.4 (normal 0-3.5)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tiggers_Dad, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiggers_Dad

Tiggers_Dad Member

Tigger has been in the hospital for 11 days now, hes had diabetes for 2 years now

So much to say, I'll try my best

It all started when he had a funny smell to his urine, it would come and go over a few months time (I will never wait that long again). I didn't think it was anything serous because he was acting okay. Come to find it, it could have been the ketones in his urine(which at that time I never heard of). He started to vomit at home, then stopped eating and drinking water(lost weight fast, weighs 7 1/2lbs right now). We took him in to the vet on the 13th, we knew something was wrong. They told us he was DKA, and wanted 1,000usd down to start treatment in which we did not have. They told us we could do what he needed at home, that was to get his glucose levels lowered. I tried for two days to syringe feed him, he could only keep a little bit down. Tigger was getting to dehydrated so we went to the hospital and they gave us SubQ liquid for him, Tigger felt better the next day, and the day after that). After those two days of regulating his glucose between 100-250 he crashed suddenly within minutes. He dropped from 9o to 26 in the matter of 10 minutes. Tigger had gone comatose, after a 15 minute 80mph drive, thank God the hospital injected dextrose straight into his vein and brought him back in the matter of seconds. Tigger was so happy to be back. Then Tigger was omitted to the hospital where he has been ever since.

We ordered a blood test on the 21st.
    "his Serum Spec fPL concentration is significantly increased which occurs with pancreatic inflammation."
    What can they give Tigger to bring down his inflammation? Any vitamins?

Tigger has only ate and drank two days this whole 11 days(and he ate and drank like a champ!), that was 2 days ago. Then they took him off the anti-nausea and pain meds and now he is not eating nor drinking.

What do I do?

Below is every copy the nurse had given me
    maybe it will make sense to you

please and thank you everyone

My cat is my life

please everyone PRAY! And send your love, little Tigger is at the hospital in his bed resting right now

Any needed information please just ask and I am sorry if I told an incomplete story I am so tired and sick/sad from this. I am being as strong as I can but hes not eating! :[ or drinking! He wants to! He smells it! He just can't eat or drink :[ He hadn't pooped in 3 days and before I left he had diarrhea. no matter how sick he is, he still covers up his mess! :] hes such a good boy
    my life and my heart

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      40.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      75.8 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      49.5 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      43.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Tiggers_Dad

Tiggers_Dad Member

I forgot to mention he keeps spiking a fever as high as 105
    is it from the IV? The pancreatitis? A virus? Hes been on antibiotics the entire time

Please pray for my little baby

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sending Tigger lots of healing vines. We have a Primer on Pancreatitis that is a good read. Sometimes infections can be part of pancreatitis.

Tiggers_Dad likes this.
  4. Tiggers_Dad

Tiggers_Dad Member

Thank you for the read
    Reading and learning about this is the only thing keeping me together
    I've been slipping and breaking down, I can't sleep and its so hard to be strong when hes sick
    breaks my heart in half

5. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Awww. So sorry to hear Tigger's not feeling well. I know nothing about pancreatitis so can't offer any practical help, but you and Tigger are both in my thoughts. Get well soon Tigger - your Dad needs you! *HUGS*

Tiggers_Dad likes this.
  6. LynRich

LynRich Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Tigger, all I can go is send you & Tigger healing vibes & pray that he gets through this , I'll be thinking of you both *HUGS*

Tiggers_Dad likes this.
  7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Why did they stop the anti-nausea and pain meds?

Tiggers_Dad likes this.
  8. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

I don't understand why they stopped the medication either. I would ask that they put him back on an antinausea medication and the pain relief again and that he stay on that medication for the foreseeable future. Pancreatitis is usually treated by managing the symptoms such as pain and nausea and sub q fluids. This then allows the cat to begin to recover and get over the episode.

This link from Idexx lists the main stays of treatment. Discuss this with your vet
    https://www.idexx.com/files/small-a...pec-fpl-treatment-for-feline-pancreatitis.pdf

Although pancreatitis isn't usually associated with infection cats can also be given antibiotics and steroids for pancreatitis as it can help some. I am not very good with test results but I see his ALT and ALP are high among other things-have they mentioned that liver problems? triaditis/cholangehepatitis. My cat was finally diagnosed with this and once we begun treatment with an antibiotic in addition to the supportive meds listed in the Idexx article he rapidly improved.

http://web.aimgroupinternational.co...p-content/uploads/2012/05/German_Allison2.pdf

I gave you a link in your introductory post to the pancreatitis yahoo group and would advise that you post over there too. you should list your results as they are usually very good at interpreting them for you.

I really think you need to get him to eat soon so that he can be given his insulin and begin to fight back from this condition. Could you print off the idexx article and take it to the vets with you and go through the medication options one by one.

Best wishes to you and healing vibes to Tigger

Sarah

Tiggers_Dad, KPassa and Critter Mom like this.
  9. phlika29

PS remi had a spec fPL of about the same when he was really poorly and he recovered. You are doing the right thing by researching the condition and hopefully this will enable you to discuss treatment options with your vet and be more positive about the treatment you want for Tigger.

Tiggers_Dad likes this.
  10. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

Sending good wishes and prayers your way and keeping fingers, toes, and paws crossed for Tigger's recovery. I'm not much at giving medical advice, but I think I would look into getting those anti-nausea and pain meds back into his recovery routine. Hugs to you and Tigger. :bighug:

Tiggers_Dad and Critter Mom like this.
  11. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Removed the 911 as the little guy is in the hospital being cared for. Sending some positive thoughts both of your way. Please continue asking questions and update us when you can!

Tiggers_Dad likes this.
  12. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I feel for you. Pancreatitis is tough on both of you. I hope your precious boy is feeling better today.

:bighug:

13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Tigger is not well. Max has chronic pancreatitis and has had it for over five years. I saw you are reading about this so you saw that the support your cat nees is cerenia and/or ondansetron for the nausea which is likely causing the inappetence, buprenex for pain, fluids, and to be fed small amounts of food often. I can't understand why they would stop the pain and nausea mess. That is just plain not right. Max was on ondan for months with his first episode. He has had fPL <50 but has not had fevers with it. I learned that at first he didn't get enough ondansetron for him and when given the correct amount he didn't need appetite stimulants. Once the nausea is under control if Tigger isn't eating enough I would try a tiny amount of an appetite stimulant. I prefer cyproheptadine and just 1/8 of a 4mg works for him even though he is a large cat and needs larger amounts of other drugs. I hope they start the mess again asap.

Tiggers_Dad, Critter Mom and KPassa like this.
  14. Critter Mom

When you're preparing for Tigger's return home, if you haven't already got one a timed feeder is a godsend. It would help you to make sure Tigger gets regular small meals when you are out or when you need sleep. Lots of people here recommend the Petsafe 5.

Tiggers_Dad likes this.
  15. Tiggers_Dad

Tiggers_Dad Member

to keep the cost low..
    they know I don't have the money

but I guess my fiance told them of my past troubles in life about losing my brother then my mother, and that Tigger is my life
    Now they know and understand I'll do anything in the world for this cat and they are on board with that now
    pet bill is 2,600+ LOL unbelievable but to me, my cat is priceless. you cannot put a price on him
    I'd literally die for my cat, I know that is extreme but that is how much I love him

Deb & Wink, KPassa and Critter Mom like this.
  16. Tiggers_Dad

Tiggers_Dad Member

Tigger is back on the pain meds and antinausea, they have been giving him antibiotics since day one like three different kinds all together through this 11-12 day period. Can Tigger get steroids if he has diabetes? The doctor advises against that since he has diabetes.
    Thank you so much for the link and information Sarah, I will do that. I have to go to bed and go there, a few hours of sleep is all I can get i have to be up there for Tigger

***************IMPORTANT UPDATE ON TIGGER*************

His Red Blood Cell Count was 16, then dropped to 14
    Normal is 45, Tigger was anemic and currently he is undergoing a blood transfusion ($150)
    The low rbc was caused from malnutrition

Everyone pray for Tigger
    He is my life

I just copied this over from my gofundme post

God bless all of you people

You guys are giving me the hope I need to remain strong

This has been a very bumpy ride

Thank you all

I am going there tomorrow, armed to the gills with treatment plans!

17. Critter Mom

I have no experience of treating a diabetic cat on steroids but from what I have read here, I believe the general approach is that jwhen steroid treatment is necessary, insulin doses are adjusted to accommodate the steroid treatment. Hopefully more experienced members will be along soon to give you a better answer.

KPassa likes this.
  18. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

yes, if steroids are needed, adjust the insulin around them.
    It will be easier to adjust the insulin if the steroids are a daily dose, or a long-acting injection that wears off gradually.

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Tiggers_Dad

Tiggers_Dad Member

How important and how much food should they be feeding Tigger? They syringe feed him 20ml 2 times a day. Doesn't he have to get more food, if we feed him enough food will his pancreas stop eating itself?

I just got home from visiting Tigger, it breaks my heart I can't bring him home yet! The past two days when the nurses bring Tigger to me he jumps out of his bed and runs to me! It gave me such great joy seeing him run around and play normal! And receive his lovins! After his 2-3minute spaz he then always lays down and naps because he tired himself out. Today when he was napping he left his bed and came and slept on my legs while I sat Indian style on the ground, I stayed in that position as long as possible! my feet were numb for 20 minutes at least lol
    Tigger ate 5 kibbles today by himself! Then I fed him a little canned wet food, I gave him 3 canna pet pills to help the inflammation in his pancreas I don't know what else to do. This cat is my world, I appreciate everything you and this website has done

You people are giving me strength when I find myself so weak

Thank you

Tigger had a blood transfusion last night because his Hematocrit aka htc levels were 13.6, his level in the middle of the day was 20 and just a few hours ago it was 23

EVERYONE PLEASE PRAY HEAVILY FOR MY BABY! HES MY EVERYTHING

his htc and his rbc is still low, but better then it was

Would Tigger benefit from a feeding tube if he doesn't eat tomorrow? I need him to eat and get some energy in him! hes not eating enough
    people please help!

Please people I need guidance

everyone please send your love and healing vibes/prayers to Tigger

20. Tiggers_Dad

Tiggers_Dad Member

Tigger's Spec fpl was 50 yesterday, just got that lab work today
    it was 46 or 47 a few days ago

What do I do people? Please help me

Tigger broke out in a fever today, 104.1
    The IV's keep causing it, every 3 days

21. Tiggers_Dad

Tiggers_Dad Member

I forgot to add, they gave tigger a b12 shot two days agoo
    only 100ml, I believe idexx said to do 250ml

is that enough for now? or should I fight to get him more? and how much?

22. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

I don't know enough about pancreatitis but I did post a request on the LL board for some more eyes on this post for you.

Feeding tubes are not as bad as they sound and feeding tubes save lives.

Critter Mom likes this.
  23. phlika29

I guess they are feeding him a calorie dense food and I am not really experienced in this department. Do you know what exactly they are feeding him? Could you ask them how many calories they are getting into him? I know that a cat who is ill needs more calories than normal

Feeding tubes
    http://www.catinfo.org/?link=feedingtubes

Re the spec fPL level, don't get caught up with the numbers changing slightly. In the end you are looking to see if the medication is helping his symptoms.

24. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

The best information is in that Pancreatitis Primer that Wendy gAve you earlier.

What do you mean the iv is causing his fever?

That's a positive test result for pancreatitis.

Are they still giving anti-nausea meds, pain reliever, appetite stimulant and fluids?

He needs enough calories to maintain his weight. You have to figure out the calories of whatever they are feeding him.

Sorry you're going through this. Pancreatitis isn't uncommon in diabetic cats. just read through that primer so you know what to ask for and keep advocating for him.

25. tiffmaxee

All the supportive meds are a necessity. Most cars don't have a fever with it. You are correct that your cat needs a lot more food. A feeding tube would be a good idea provided he is strong enough for anesthesia. It would help get enough food until he can eat on his own. It sounds like there is more going on, hepatic lipidosis? I'm so sorry. That is an awfully long time without progress.

26. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I think you meant 100 microgram and 250 microgram since
    http://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/research/cobalamin-information
    says
    We currently recommend SC injection of 250 µg per injection in cats

27. Critter Mom

From your earlier posts, if I recall correctly you said that the vets were giving Tigger anti-nausea meds then taking breaks between treatments. Continuous anti-nausea support makes a tremendous difference with pancreatitis. I'd suggest checking with your vets if they are giving Tigger generic ondansetron (the branded version, Zofran, is crazy expensive btw). I think ondansetron can be given continuously for a longer time than Cerenia (generic name maropitant). If they're not yet giving Tigger ondansetron, if he were my cat I'd want to know why.

I hope that Tigger feels better soon.

:bighug:

Tiggers_Dad likes this.
  28. tiffmaxee

Nowadays many vets give cerenia without a break and even give both cerenia and ondansetron simultaneously. If mirtazapine doesn't stumulate the appetite then cyproheptadine often does with less side effects. How are things tiday?

Critter Mom likes this.
  29. Tiggers_Dad

Tiggers_Dad Member

I am going to visit him now, he ate a little kibble today by himself
    he is on pain meds, anti-nausea, apatite stimulant and constant fluid

I am going to ask if they are feeding him a calorie dense food, I believe they are feeding him a 'diabetic food' some hills md or hills ad
    everytime I go in I force feed him more food because he needs it, I drop clumps of wet food down his mouth

KPassa likes this.
  30. Critter Mom

Looking forward to an update after your visit. Sending special 'feel bettter' scritches for Tigger.

31. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Sending more prayers and get well vines to you and Tigger.

Tiggers_Dad likes this.
  32. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

How is Tigger doing?

Tiggers_Dad likes this.
  33. Tiggers_Dad

Tiggers_Dad Member

Tiggers update:

I am creating a new thread because I am so unsure about this Hematocrit thing

Tigger's Hematocrit level was 14 so they gave him a blood transfusion, a day later it was 22, then went up to 24, then last night it was 19 and now 20

everyone please pray for Tigger, he is such a good boy and so happy
    I just need him 100% again, hes able to walk normal and jump 1 1/2 feet now

hes my world, I appreciate every prayer

Thank you

34. Blamethecats and Hannah

Praying for you and your wonderful Tigger and sending positive thoughts and vibes your way. Hugs :bighug: and good wishes.

35. Tiggers_Dad

Tiggers_Dad Member

Just so you can put a face to the name :]

Attached Files:

36. Critter Mom

Dotey! And working that scarf! :D

37. Blamethecats and Hannah

Awwww, I love him!

38. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I bet he loves the scarf. Having something you have worn that has your scent on it can really help a kitty when they are at the vet for an extended stay.

Critter Mom, KPassa and Tiggers_Dad like this.
  39. Tiggers_Dad

Tiggers_Dad Member

So TIgger is back in the hospital
    at 6 1/2 hours after his insulin shot he tanked to bg 35

he is getting an ultra sound to see if there is anything causing this
    i'll update it later or tomorrow I am so tired

40. Tiggers_Dad

Tiggers_Dad Member

ultra sound came back clean

seems I just gave him to much insulin

it was a crazy drive there, 95mph on the highway and blowing every light on the way
    literally 1/4 mile away our front left tire blew out
    we drove the rest of the way there on a rim

Brought him in immediately and tiggers sugar was 42
    scary stuff guys
    karol syrup doesn't act fast enough for me

wish I could get dextrose injection for him

another 4-700 for this visit lol

total vet cost this month 3,700

41. phlika29

That sounds scary

I really think you need to switch insulins. Nowadays Novolin isn't recommended. Lantus should keep tigger blood glucose a lot flatter without these very hard and dangerous drops and we have a whole forum that can help you get the dose right. Did you mention it to your vet? It will also allow much longer control of blood glucose and those less likely to get damage from uncontrolled blood glucose.

I think you should discuss this article with your vet. You can't keep rushing to the vet. It is unsustainable both on your nerves and your wallet. Not to mention stressful for tigger.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/AAHADiabetesGuidelines.pdf

Tiggers_Dad, Critter Mom and KPassa like this.
  42. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When you have a moment, could you add a few tidbits to your signature? It will help us give you feedback without having to go look in all your past posts.

Editing your Signature

In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as
    your name,
    cat's name,
    date of Dx (diagnosis)
    insulin
    meter
    any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.
    Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

Always click the Save Changes button at the bottom when you have changed anything.

Tiggers_Dad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.