Tonka 19/3 AMPS 90, PMPS 90, +4 106 (OTJ Trial Day 7)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by jmalasiuk, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmalasiuk

jmalasiuk Member

Yesterday: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-pmps-76-otj-trial-day-6.134797/#post-1389909

Tonka's up at the higher end of the normal range again, but seems to still be doing good overall. He's in grazing tonight, so I'm not sure how long ago he last ate since I was out for the evening, but judging by the increase at +4, it probably wasn't long ago (decided to get a mid-cycle test to see where he was in between shot times).

The stuffed rabbit toy that the boys adopted as their favorite prey has been making an appearance on the stairs daily lately, so he's apparently back in hunting mode. I put the rabbit back in it's place downstairs each evening, and my the next day the rabbit is either upstairs or hanging out on the stairs. It's pretty amusing.

Tonka also appears to be putting the last of his weight back on, and is back to being the rather solid chunk-o-cat that he was before he became diabetic. The vet is thrilled that he's been putting weight back on, but might not be so much with him entering the overweight range again. I'm actually feeding the cats less than the recommended amount of food for their sizes, since Teeger rarly eats more than half of what I put out for him, but Tonka does eat all of his own and a decent portion of Teeger's food as well, so he might be getting a bit more than he really ought to. Any suggestions for how to manage one overweight and one underweight cat when they insist on sharing food?

2. MollynSkooter

MollynSkooter Well-Known Member

No advise on feeding, but just wanted to congratulate you on your halfway point!!!!
    Go Tonka Go!!!

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Great report on Tonka! Sounds like he's doing well. Is there anyway you can get Tonka to play more? A treat ball, chasing the laser pointer? No advice on feeding, both of my cats are hoovers so I just feed the amount appropriate to each cat.

Happy Day 7! :D So nice that you can go out at night after PMPS. :)

4. jmalasiuk

jmalasiuk Member

He loves to play. He's actually pretty active (when he isn't snoozing). I think he just really likes food :)

5. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats on day 7. Looking good Tonka.

Wish I had some advice on feeding... I have two hoovers, and one grazer. it is a battle everyday to make sure the grazer gets what she needs and not have the hoovers eat her food. They get what they should have, I have to pull the grazer aside and feed her small amounts equivalent to what she would eat at each graze through out the day. Mannie was a hoover - I can so remember his complaints when I started to regulate his intake, like less food. Eventually he adjusted.

jmalasiuk likes this.
  6. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I just realized that there is an OTJ trial going on here! (my bad). Congratulations on Day 7, Tonka! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The only advice I have about the weight situation is to determine what the kcal. is for each food you feed. Some are higher in calories (e.g., Wellness Chicken, Wellness Turkey) and some are incredibly low (e.g., Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken). So you have to set your goals for each kitty and proceed accordingly.

Enjoy the day,

Ella & Rusty

7. jmalasiuk

jmalasiuk Member

I have a lot of trouble keeping the cats to their own food, since they're both grazers and both like to wander over to the other's plate after the first few bites of their own (grass is always greener on the other side?). I'm probably going to have to figure out something soon, since Tonka will probably need to lose some weight (I plan on weighing him this weekend, but he's definitely putting weight back on) and Teeger is getting close to being underweight - hoping that will halt once I get his hyperthyroidism under control. Teegie also might wind up testing positive for kidney problems though, once his thyroid calms down, which will add even more to the balancing act. Challenging, since I'm gone long hours during the day, and when I'm working out of town, their catsitter is only here twice a day, so regimented mini meals is not going to work well, unless I can find a feeder that reacts to some kind of microchip that I can imbed into each cat :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.