Trying to manage my Poodoodle's diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Poodoodle, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poodoodle

Poodoodle New Member

I'm new to the site and very grateful for the wealth of information available along with community support. After checking my credit card bills, I see that Pooey, age 10, was diagnosed on March 23rd. My vet did not recommend or even mention at home testing, only indicating I come back every week for a $168 blood curve. Learning about the importance of the home testing and feeling the pinch of $1.5k of cost in one week, I've been monitoring at home and contacted a new vet to schedule an at home visit.

So far so good....I hope. My girl's hind legs don't seem to be much stronger but her fur is so much healthier and she's a lot more cuddly and attentive. Got a lot of work to do to find the right dose though. I'll be posting more on that in the health forum.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome. You were right to start home testing. Vet curves are typically not representative since BG can be raised by 100 (USA) or more due to vet stress.
    I would ditch the dry food and feed loq-cab canned commercial food See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/
    Most of use here record are BG readings and dose and other things in a spreadsheet that can be viewed by others. Here is oout to create the spreadsheet
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as Friskies pates. see Cat Info for more info,
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.