Upcoming dental work - any tips?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kerrie & Winnie, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerrie & Winnie

Kerrie & Winnie Member

My kittie will be having dental work in a couple of weeks, probably including at least one extraction. She was diagnosed in August and we've had some trouble regulating her, finally settling on 0.75 units twice a day (Lantus). My vet said she'd probably need to be on antibiotics after the dental and I'm wondering what that could do to her insulin requirements. Anybody know what I should expect or watch out for?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Not infrequently oral antibiotics can cause inappetance. Antibiotics themselfs really do not effect BG but an infection can raise BG.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Just make sure the antibiotic doesn't contain any sugar...many of the liquids do

Also, it's a good idea to start a probiotic a few days before starting an antibiotic if you can. Probiotics put the "good bacteria" back into the intestines that the antibiotics can kill off (which causes diarrhea in a lot of cats)

One used a lot around here is FortiFlora which has the added benefit that one of the ingredients is the same stuff they spray on kibble to make it so irresistible so it's great to have around when kitty is being a picky eater....a little sprinkle of powder usually gets them eating!

Make sure you also get some baby food (meat only...Gerbers or BeechNut)...especially if they end up doing any extractions, the baby food is easy for them to eat.

There's lots of great information about dentals HERE

jayla-n-Drevon and Critter Mom like this.
  4. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Sorry I haven't been around for a few days. My RSD/CRPS is kicking up.:mad: Dottie's also having more mouth troubles:banghead: but I'll do another post for that. In the meantime... :confused:I'ma pooped.

Baby food is a great idea. My cats don't care much for the turkey, but they love the ham and chicken. (Yes I know ham is a bit of a no-no but when your cat won't eat, whatever works ....my kitties are not kosher)

Please watch your kitty carefully...some don't do well with anesthesia, or they take longer to 'come out of it'. Your vet may or may not clip your cat's claws to keep him/her from clawing at it's mouth. This means don't let them wander at will, or they may try to jump up on something, and if they are cats that depend on their claws more than others, in climbing, they can fall. Dottie has always done poorly with anesthesia. The first time she 'went under'...she got away from me at home, tried to jump to the back of a chair, and fell, falling hard on stone tile. I will never forgive myself for letting her slip out of my grasp, so now if she goes into surgery, I put a kitty holster and lead on her, so that I may have a good grip on her, post recovery, at all times. A good investment for all owners is probably a soft 'kitty cage', similar to the one that Mogs got for Saiorse, so if you can afford one, it's worth it's weight in gold, for your own peace of mind. I really need to get one.

Please keep us up to date on her surgery, ok? :bighug::bighug::bighug:

jayla-n-Drevon and Critter Mom like this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

6. Kerrie & Winnie

Kerrie & Winnie Member

Thank-you all very much for the advice. The dental work isn't until late April but I want to be prepared. I'll buy some Fortiflora and baby food. And watch her like a hawk!
    Thanks again!!

7. Kerrie & Winnie

Kerrie & Winnie Member

Dental work successfully accomplished! The FortiFlora has worked brilliantly. Winnie had to have two extractions so is on antibiotics and I just bury them in her food, sprinkle some powder on and she gobbles it down! SO much easier than trying to stuff them down her throat, especially with a sore mouth. Haven't checked her BG yet but hoping it hasn't been thrown off too much. Thanks again for all the advice!

8. Critter Mom

Great news, Kerrie! Isn't it such a relief to be safely out the other side!! :)

Delighted to hear that recovery is going well and there's no pilling trauma - for either of you. ;)

Mogs

9. Kerrie & Winnie

Kerrie & Winnie Member

HUGE relief! Thanks!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Excellent news, Kerrie. Am so glad that Winnie's dental went smoothly. :bighug:

Eliz

11. MsBliss

MsBliss Member

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Critter Mom

It certainly is; one of the best things I've ever bought for Saoirse. :)

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.