? Update + Dosecrease; Buprenex?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Giomax, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Giomax

Giomax Member

Hey all! Sarah + Max here. I'm off work for the next three days so I upped Max to 5.5 this evening. I will be around to monitor for the next six cycles. When should I do a curve? I know it takes awhile for the depot to build up and I want to wait until I'll get some decent/accurate results before I start poking his ears every couple of hours. Any suggestions??

Vomiting on 2/10: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/2-10-max-better-numbers-but-vomiting-help.210595/

Max has been off the Cerenia for a couple days now and is keeping food down. He's vomited bile I think once (maybe twice?) before today but nothing more than that. HOWEVER, I came home to bile all over my bedroom floor today after work and a good lot of puke all over my bed. The puke was brownish/red so I'm hoping it was tinged that way from the food and it's not blood. Max seems his normal self otherwise and has not been sick since I've been home. I'm not sure what came over him while I was at work, but I'm concerned.

I haven't followed up with my regular vet since last week's fiasco. I just don't have the money for a visit + further testing right now. I would LOVE to be able to get him a full body x-ray, another round of blood work and an ultrasound of the abdomen/pancreas. I'm not sure if this is allowed on the site or not, but I set up a GoFundMe awhile back to help with Max's medical expenses (www.gofundme.com/catpotato). I know you all are dealing with your own sick kitties so I don't expect donations from any of you, but if you could share for other people to see? It'll be a hot minute before I'm able to afford more extensive testing by myself.

Thanks again for all the help you've given Max and me!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I hope that Max will start feeing better soon :) Once you get a 2+ this evening you'll have a better feel for if he's going to respond to the increase - he may surprise you :)

Best of luck on the dose increase.

Giomax likes this.
  3. Giomax

Giomax Member

I just realized Max pooped outside the litter box twice today, which is VERY unlike him. It's a very soft stool, gray-dark gray in color. I thought maybe he was in extra pain today (legs, pancreas, whatever reason) so I just now gave him a dose of buprenex. The vet said it's supposed to be absorbed through the cheeks/gums, but I think he swallowed most of it? Will it still have an analgesic effect?

4. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

Can you get the bupe injection? I tried one oral- Nelli fights and half ends up down her chest- regardless the injection kicks in much quicker. I asked and there was no hesitation :)
    Max will be ok :bighug:
    Muah.

Giomax likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The bupe will still work if swallowed, but the timing of effectiveness may change a bit.

I would not go for an injection. In the paper on AAHA/AAFP Pain Management Guidelines for Cats and Dogs, page 256 on opiods says
    According to SLGS, you should have done the curve before increasing. You don't have much data on the 5.25 unit dose once the depot was full (after six cycles). So for this dose, wait until at least cycle six before doing the curve.

6. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

The 2nd time Gizmo was hospitalized for panc (6 days) the vet put a fentnal (sp?) patch on him for pain. Left it on for 3 days. He started getting evening passes to come home the day they put it on to see if he would eat at home (which he finally did). Would pick him up after work and take him back before work the next morning (the left his fluid/medicine port in) and he would resume fluids and meds while at the vets. I do think it helped.

Do you give anything for stomach acid (Pepcid or Zantac)?

Poor Max. :bighug::bighug:

7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

That sounds like pancreatitis for sure.

The bile vomits from Jones was usually the first sign something was up.

Giomax likes this.
  8. Giomax

Giomax Member