*****Update Salem *11/ 01 /2019 post DKA), AMPS =4 28, +3=245 + 5.5 =226 + 8=205

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tina and Salem, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Tina and Salem

Tina and Salem Well-Known Member

Ok this is my first post on my own im hoping i do this right ? Lol
    Yesterday we decided to increase salems dosage from 1 unit to 1.5 units hes sugar was better during the night and this morning yesterday AMPS +1 was 508
    This morning with the dosage increase he was at 428 AMPS +1
    He doesnt seem as tired this morning. I got a little late start i fell asleep im really tired got up at 5 am to feed mommies tired sorry salem he got his insulin at 7:30 am
    Hes still eating good too!
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...xt-dose-coming-up-at-7pm.221130/#post-2469689

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  2. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Good job with testing. I am doing whispers shots and breakfast right now, but in a little bit I will tell you how to fix your title. Good job testing and shooting on your own though! Back in a bit.

Tina and Salem likes this.
  3. Tina and Salem

Oops i had the wrong date todays 11/01/2019 is that what is wrong lol

4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Correct, the date was wrong, but there are some other things that we usually do, although there are no hard and fast rules. This is how I would do it:

So you start with the date, then the cat's name, any brief comments and then the reading(s) SO FAR for the day today, labelled with the hour (using the +1 notation, not the actual time since people are all around the world, not just in the Eastern time zone) and then the BG reading. If there is anything else important, you can add it to the title as well, but keep it brief. And you would only use the question mark prefix if you have a specific question that you need answered. For today, at this point at least, your post is just informational -- you just want to let those that are looking in on you know how you are doing. And at least for a little while, I think that you should keep "post DKA" in your title, because that does cause us to want people to know that skipping a shot is a really bad idea if they are giving you dosing advice. So you should remove the question mark, and edit your title to look something like this to only contain the readings for today, not yesterday:

11/01 Salem (new dose increase, post DKA), AMPS=428

Then whenever you test today, add it to your spreadsheet, and then edit the title. Let's just pretend that you test in an hour at 10:30am, and the reading is 350. That is 3 hours after your shot this morning, so you would put 350 in the +3 slot on your spreadsheet, and then edit the title to look like this:

11/01 Salem (post DKA), AMPS=428, +3=350

And you'll just keep adding to the title all day for each test. Make sense? You don't actually need to add any text within the post if you don't want to, but you can. You could add comments about how he is eating and/or acting, or if you get a ketone test, that is great information to add. And as an example, if later today you really did have a question that you want answered, you could add the question mark back into the title and add a page with your question, or heaven forbid if you had an emergency you could add the "911" prefix to the title and a page explaining your emergency (life-threatening or super super urgent only...we reserve 911 prefixes for that because it gives us all a heart attack!).

In the morning, you would again start a new post, add a link to this one, and then start the title fresh with "11/02 Salem (post DKA), AMPS=whatever".

Sound good? I've got to run to a doctor's appointment with my husband now, but I'll be back on later or add a page and someone else could help. Just test at reasonable times today like we talked about. You might be able to give him a little pokey break since he was getting irritated a little bit yesterday. Maybe test at +4 (11:30am), and then decide the next test time based on the result? Because if he is still high, you don't need to test quite as often and you can spend time just loving on him rather than being a Vampire :woot:

:bighug:

5. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Tina, now you should edit your title to:

11/01 Salem (post DKA), AMPS=428, +3=245

6. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, Salem looks good today!

That was a pretty big drop between AMPS and +3, I'd get another test in at +4 or +5 to see if he's continuing to drop.

7. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi there :cool:

Are you testing for ketones? It’s extremely important- your first line of defense.

8. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Sandy-- I believe there was a negative test yesterday afternoon :).

9. Tina and Salem

yes we test one time with a urine strip but not sure if irs correct he sits so low in the litter box i couldnt get under him so i stuck the strip in the wet litter only went to beige negative not sure if thats a correct reading sandi told me it should be only urine i will try again today . Thanks ! Hes got more energy today also !

10. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Since he is surfing in pretty even numbers, you can probably give him a break from testing for a little while.

Maybe just at 4:30 (+9)? And then again at about 7:15 (PMPS) to just keep his shot at 7:30 this evening.

You are doing great, just try to get some urine for a ketone test. And then if you want me to come up this weekend and give him fluids, we can do that too.

11. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Please note ketone testing time and results on the ss, either in the remarks column or in the cell corresponding to the + hour.

I used to occasionally have the same problem with Black Kitty. I found that if I was quick I could dip the strip in the small puddle of urine before it absorbed into the litter. .

Testing is the first line of defense. You see the way DKA happens is that when there is not enough energy from food making it into the cells, the body will breakdown it’s own fat and protein to try and fulfill the need for more metabolic energy. The excessive breakdown of these stored reserves creates a toxic by-product - ketones. As ketones build up in the blood stream, the resulting pH and electrolyte imbalances can very quickly develop to life threatening levels , a state of DKA. All diabetic kitties are at risk. BG does not have to be crazy high either. Over the years here I have seen a number of kitties develop ketones in spite of having BGs in the 200s.

For kitties recovering from DKA or with a history of DKA, extra vigilance is required. I personally saw my kitty go from ‘negative’ to ‘large’ in 24 hours.

12. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Yes, there was. Thx Nan, and it was exactly as you describe Sandy - quickly putting it in the puddle in the litter box.

Tina, I thought you had the ketone test noted in your SS (although I think it was in the wrong cell where it now says”BBQ” at PMPS +6 on 10/30, which is why I remembered it so I could ask you to check it), but now I don’t see it at all. Was that negative test around AMPS +7 on 10/31?

13. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Tina, a couple of things I promised you.

First, you said in a text that Salem was starting to get irritated with testing. Here is a link that talks about testing with the ear, it shows the "sweet spot", and it also mentions the gauge of the lancet. Instead of the 30g that you have now, the 26g ( https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Thin-Lancets-100-count/34088206 ) should help along with the rice sock.

I mentioned that you might want to just stay on a 7:30am/7:30pm schedule through Saturday night because of the end of daylight savings time. I already told you that you normally don't want to change by more than 15 minutes twice a day, or 30 minutes once a day. This comes in to play during the time change. Here's the article: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...s-time-ends-sunday-nov-3.220723/#post-2463717

Since you are already delayed by 30 minutes from your regular 7am time, you can just stay at 7:30pm tonight, so you were basically part way to "Option C" in that article. So you could do:

Example: regular time is 7:00am/7:00pm
    • Friday AMPS at 7:30 (because of your delay this morning)
    • Friday PMPS at 7:30
    • Saturday AMPS at 7:30
    • Saturday PMPS at 8:00 (you will set your clock back overnight)
    • Sunday AMPS at 7:00, which is the “old” 8:00
    Hope that helps!

14. Tina and Salem

wow that was fast !

15. Tina and Salem

16. Tina and Salem

Its way over in the remarks yes it was there in that block like you said but i deleted it put it in the remarks like you mentioned as one place to put it

17. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Be sure to add PMPS=256 to the end of your title. Nice cycle today! He surfed along nicely in yellows.

I see you put 1.5 in as the dose for tonight, and I think that is a good choice. Also test at either +1 or +2 so that we can see if anything dramatic might go on tonight (we call that an "active cycle"). Remember how I told you that if the +2 is lower than the preshot number, that you might see an active cycle, and it gives you a hint as to how often and how soon you might need to test next.

Great job today, Salem and Tina!

18. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice cycle today for Salem! I'm glad you went up to 1.5! :)

Now we wait a little to see how he does on it.

19. Tina and Salem

Salems doing really good
    update
    PMPS T/F/S 256 1.5 units +2=234
    I hope to get up at 5 am to feed him test and shot at 7:30 am
    And see better numbers like this morning i cnt wait to see what hes numbers will be like after 3 days when the insulin i hope will really work . Any advise of what i may see sunday ? Im a little nervous abt when the numbers will get in the 100s will they be stable and see some if the same numbers what happens next ? Bets recommended 2 units but like i said earlier when i first got home and checked his sugarbhis numvers were going down instead of up so we decided to not give 2 units fear of him going too low i think it was a wise choice ! Even though we saw higher numbers tge next day but after the second day of 1.5 units his numbers are Surfering as Sandi tells me its called ! Learning all these new terms of diabetes ! I havent been able to check ketones today but i will try harder tomorrow im looking into a ketone meter to be able to check it easier and sooner i dnt want DKA to win my baby over again ! Its most costly i understand but i think its a wise to invest in a safer method for salems health ! Please advise anything i should be aware of that i need to know before hand ! Im all ears ! Im will try to do better on the title and all updates hopefully i can get my self more organized with this new schedule !

20. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

I think it is too early to say what will happen after the 6th dose on 1.5 units (the 6th dose will be Sunday morning if we are able to stay at that amount until then without reducing it for lower numbers). Once you get more data, we can start to help recognize patterns in your cat that will allow us to have educated guesses, but you don't have enough data yet, and every cat is different so we can't even guess based on how our cats react.

Sometime tomorrow be sure that you create a new thread asking for opinions about blood ketone meters, I do think it is a good idea if you can afford it. People can recommend which ones are both reliable and affordable.

I'm sorry I can't stick around any longer this evening, but if you need help with low numbers tonight, then this page tells you exactly what to do (I think I printed it for you as well): http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dont-panic-or-how-to-handle-low-numbers.210109/

It explains everything you should do to post and ask for help with the "911" prefix, and then it also explains how and when to give the FF Gravy and/or honey, and how often to retest if no one is available. Glad to hear that you got a new bottle of strips today.

I hope to see all good things when I can finally check in on you tomorrow afternoon! Kisses to dear Salem. Good night!

21. Tina and Salem

Update
    Salems sugar seems to be ok i will recheck setting my alarm for the night
    PMPS 256 T/F/F
    +2 234
    +4 =235
    Salem cheated my other cats have not been eaten since their buddy Salems been sick so i got out the dry food for them since they went on the low carb diet too these two jojo and Salems sister Bella love dry food salem sneaked in my sons room got a few bites of dry food which he never really cared for before but i guess hes jealous what they eat he wants too lol so i guess thats explains the 234 to 235 in the two hrs if your wondering what happen lol ?
    I will set my alarm a few hrs to see what happens after this food goes away . Shame Salem lol you cheated mommie turned for one minute you missed behaved lol . Thanks again ! Im learning !!! I feel like salems private vet ! And intern lol

22. Tina and Salem

Jojo is the white cat with salem snd the black and white cat is bella salems sister . Salem took after his daddy and Bella looks just like her mommie shes got s short tail too but her tail you can see its looks like a windshield wiper lol and salems only got a knob like tail one bone in his bobtail you cnt really tell if hes happy bella you can its always wiping lol . They were of course born this way lol that's salem in the hospital when we visited him he was so weak still but he showed improvement until later then he started eating . He was happy to see us he must of thought mommie left him for good he picked up fast but almost died that night .

Attached Files:

23. Tina and Salem

Me too !