? USA FOOD LIST - Anyone Willing To Help Update It...?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Elizabeth and Bertie, Sep 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

As we know, the wonderful food info at Catinfo.org is now a few years out of date.

Quite a number of people have expressed a wish to see an updated food list. Theoretically, this can be done, but someone has to actually volunteer to do it.

If it is possible to update the food information this could be of enormous benefit to the many US members here.
    There would be a lot of work involved. But perhaps it would be possible to start with, say, the 20 most popular foods, and then add more to the list over time..? (This is how I did the UK list).

A list of USA foods would involve more initial work (than the UK list) because US foods are labelled with Guaranteed Analysis (of minimum and maximum values) and this may well not be an accurate representation of what is in the can at any given time.
    So, an initial task would be to contact food manufacturers and ask for the current as fed values. (Some manufacturers are more helpful than others...) It could take time to get the answers needed. So patience will be required. ;)
    Then, carb calculations would need to be done. (That's not so bad. A spreadsheet can do the calculations, so it only requires that the data is entered.)
    Then the info needs to be added to a list.

I wonder if there are some people currently on the forum who could get together to form a team to take this task on?
    If there are some people willing to help then maybe they could express their interest here in this thread; and if there is sufficient interest perhaps they could contact each other to get a conversation going to see what's even possible...?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.... ;)

I'm writing this in response to a post that @JohnZ wrote here:
    Shortcut Shopping List - all 8% or less Updated

Eliz

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    JohnZ likes this.
  2. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Hi Eliz,

I'm willing :)

By the way... presently trying to get the latest/updated data on the 9Lives food... no luck so far...

The latest usable data I have from them is from last year... but that data is actually dated 02/2014 :banghead:

Thanks!

John and Derek

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I'm planning on calling about some food I've started feeding Colin(Whole Earth). I know it's low carb from the ingredients and his response, but need to know the Phos. I will try to get info for all their foods. What exactly do I need to ask them for? When I get the info I'll be glad to post it or add it to a new list for others to benefit from.

4. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Sharon,

For the carbohydrate calculations we would need the As Fed (Typical Analysis) values (NOT the Guaranteed Values) for the following nutrients:

Moisture
    Protein
    Fat
    Fiber
    Ash

Also... as you mentioned... it would be helpful to have the As Fed value for Phosphorus... but… with Phosphorus… we would also want the Dry Matter value (in addition to the As Fed value)… I believe that is want most folks would find the most helpful :)

John and Derek

5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Sharon14 and JohnZ like this.
  6. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Yes, indeed... And I know that may be challenging.... :rolleyes:
    I fear that others here may be put off by what's involved in updating the list, as we're not exactly getting trampled to death in the rush to help.... :smuggrin:

I know it sounds like a huge task. But it can be done in bite-size chunks.
    Any info that can be updated would be a big help.
    Even if a person volunteers to try to get the 'current as fed data' for the different flavours of a single food that would still be a big help.... And if a dozen people do that we have the beginning of a list... :woot:

Eliz

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    JohnZ and Sharon14 like this.
  8. Sharon14

I have a list of some foods that I will check on, hopefully this week. In the past I got the as fed and dry matter, carbs and Phos, from Wellness, didn't ask for the other values, but I'll try to get those as well. In the meantime I can supply you with what I have, if you'd like.

JohnZ and Elizabeth and Bertie like this.
  9. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I can also check on some of the brands I use (very limited ones)

10. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Sure… got to start somewhere… I can start putting together a spreadsheet and plugging in whatever ‘As Fed’ values we have.

Remember- we only need the ‘As Fed’ Moisture, Protein, Fat, Fiber and Ash values for the carbohydrate calculation. :)

The Phosphorus value would be very helpful- but is not needed for the carbohydrate calculation.

John

11. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Sounds good... thanks!

John

12. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

You can put me on a list. I won't be able to help until November. This is my busy, don't have time to think time of year. But after that I will have some time.

13. Sharon14

StephG, Critter Mom and JohnZ like this.
  14. Elizabeth and Bertie

Ooooh, well done, Sharon! @Sharon14 .... :bighug:

Sharon14 likes this.
  15. Sharon14

Ok got the email from Merrick. It lists as fed values for 27 of it's wet foods. What shall I do with it?:confused:
    I'll call Canidea tomorrow. I'm starting with the higher end foods because I think they are more willing to give info. Then I'll try some other ones...

Critter Mom, JohnZ and billysmom (GA) like this.
  16. Elizabeth and Bertie

Oh, wow. Well done, you! Does the info give values for; protein, fat, fibre, ash and moisture...? <Eliz keeps fingers well and truly crossed.... ;) >

17. Sharon14

Yes plus phosphorus, calcium, sodium and something else.

Critter Mom likes this.
  18. Elizabeth and Bertie

:woot::woot::woot:!!!

Hang onto that info, Sharon.
    It might be a good idea to get a PM conversation going with people who have obtained updated cat food data (or are willing to try to get it...). We can use the data to calculate carb values and start to make an updated list, hopefully....fingers crossed.... ;)

Eliz

Oh, by the way, thanks for your enthusiasm! :bighug::kiss::bighug:

19. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Wow- this is a great start- good job, Sharon! :bighug::):cat:

John

20. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Sharon, this is great! :bighug::bighug:

I'd like to get a spreadsheet going, with calculated carbohydrate values...

Is it OK to get a copy of the data you received?

Maybe there's a way to store this kind of data in some central location? Maybe Google Doc's? Not sure how that would work? Or maybe put together some kind of emailing list????

:):cat:
    John

21. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

:bighug: That would be great... the more help the better! :):cat:

John

22. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Feel like adding Purina Friskies and Fancy Feast to the list? :nailbiting:...

That should be a challenge :banghead:

I know a lot of people here use them.

Thanks!!!!:)

John

23. Sharon14

From what I understand several people have been trying to get info from Friskies with no luck. I would think you'd have the same problem with FF, so maybe someone more aggressive should tackle them! I don't feed either one, will attempt Sheba though.

Critter Mom and JohnZ like this.
  24. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

25. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

I've attached the As Fed values that I received for the 9Lives canned cat food that I received from them last year. The data is dated 02/2014... trying to get an updated list... no luck so far... although 02/2014 isn't too bad. :)

Attached Files:

Sharon14 likes this.
  26. Sharon14

Sure isn't, I hadn't noticed. I'll add them to my list to call. Hope to get back to it today or tomorrow, got kinda busy. Here's Merrick. Let me know if I need to get anything else from them.
    image.jpg image.jpg

JohnZ likes this.
  27. Sharon14

JohnZ likes this.
  28. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Thanks Sharon, I'll start inputting the data into a preliminary spreadsheet/chart in the next day or so... and post the results.

Sharon14 likes this.
  29. Capoo

Capoo Member

Hi @JohnZ ,

I don't live in the US, but I'm really impressed by the number of lines of 9Lives canned food analysis.
    And thus, all the following questions are for my own culture only:
    Do they guarantee that all of their cans have exactly the same detailed composition? How can they manage that?
    Are all the components listed from natural origin (i.e. coming directly from the ingredients, like meat and vegetables) or do they add a "magic powder"?
    I'm really impressed to see such a number of tested components, and a little bit doubtful, frankly speaking...

JohnZ likes this.
  30. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

No, all they guarantee is the Guarantee Analysis
    The ingredient list are supposed to be complete. There should not be any other ingredients. Just note that sometimes they list ingredients like "artificial flavors and colors" without listing which specific ones

JohnZ likes this.
  31. Capoo

Capoo Member

Such a relief!!!!

I thought that they were able to guarantee all that infinite list.

I really don't like the "artificial flavors and colors" component. That could be anything!

I would prefer not to have such an impressive list, but to have a limited number of components.

Critter Mom likes this.
  32. Sharon14

@JohnZ here's the info from Canidae
    image.jpg

33. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

@Sharon14 Thanks!... A few of the numbers are a bit fuzzy... I'll guess at them for now... any chance of something at a higher res... or this the way you got it? Maybe... if possible... copy and paste the text into a word file? Thanks... you've been working hard of this!!! :):cat:

34. Sharon14

Is this better? image.jpg

35. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Sharon14 likes this.
  36. Sharon14

Haven't heard from Sheba, not unexpected, will call them next week and will tackle Wellness, Natures Variety and maybe Iams too...

JohnZ likes this.
  37. Elizabeth and Bertie

Sharon, has anyone told you lately that you are an absolute star? :bighug:
    [​IMG]

Critter Mom and JohnZ like this.
  38. Sharon14

:oops:
    I just put a link in L&L forum. So many people hang out there and never visit Health so wouldn't have seen this. Hope it gets us some help!

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  39. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

This is a wonderful effort! Thank you for undertaking this task.

IfI may make a suggestion, please contact Lisa Pierson, DVM (www.catinfo.org) once you've compiled information. At one point, she'd asked if we had more information to let her know so she could incorporate it into her food charts. It may also help for follow the format that she's used since her website has a very large following and it's what many of us have been using as a reference for years. For example, John's chart is great but as information is accumulated, you may want to have the name of the food on the vertical axis rather than the horizontal.

Critter Mom likes this.
  40. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

An update... 9Lives (J.M. Smucker company) got back to me (by email)... they want to send the updated information to my veterinarian (and not me).

Called my vet... he said that was fine and that and he would forward the info back to me. Supplied 9Lives with my vet's contact information. We shall see.:):cat:

billysmom (GA) likes this.
  41. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Thanks Sharon... that's great. :):cat:

By the way... I started adding to the spreadsheet the data you've been collecting. Also adjusting the look and feel of the spreadsheet. Thanks again!

42. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I have an email on Evo 95 wet. Two flavors. Only the carb % as Fed, though as that's all I asked about.

I can forward to someone if they want.

Critter Mom and Sharon14 like this.
  43. Sharon14

Bump
    Things are moving along, but we could sure use some help!:cat:

44. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I have tried to get As Fed values from Purina repeatedly over the past couple of years for several of their newer products, and all they will give me is the Guaranteed Analysis. They tell me it's the same thing. Then they send me coupons. :facepalm: I wish anyone who is willing to try again good luck.

I got the Phosphorous values on the Merrick Purrfect Bistro line last year, but I see Sharon already has that, and more.

Here is what I got from Evanger's:

Thank you for contacting Evanger's and for you interest in our fine foods. With the issues listed below, I would recommend a canned diet with little to no dry food.

Generally the specs on a given formula is based on the style of food such as ground loaf style. This is because careful blending and processing allow us to hit these target numbers. This is true with most pet foods. Below is our spec for a traditional loaf style cat food for a given formula. Our car content usually runs much lower as 98% of the formula is typically meat.

That being said we do have some unique cat foods such as our Beef Tips in Gravy which is completely boneless and therefore would run a lower ash, calcium and phosphorus. This formula along with our boneless signature series cuts in gravy style foods would run about a .16% phosphorus on an as fed basis.

http://evangersdogfood.com/?p=20090 - made for kidney issues.

CANNED CAT FOOD:

The "as said basis" values for our canned cat food are as follows:

- Crude Protein (min.) = 10.00%

- Crude Fat (min.) = 6.00%

- Crude Fiber (max.) = 1.50%

- Moisture (max.) = 78.00%
    - Calcium (min.) = 0.25%

- Phosphorus (min.) = 0.20%

- Potassium = .25%

- Magnesium = .03%

- Sodium = .20%

- Carbohydrates (max.) = 2.50%

- Ash (max.) = 2.30%

The "dry matter basis" values for our canned cat food are as follows:

- Crude Protein (min.) = 45.45%

- Crude Fat (min.) = 27.27%

- Crude Fiber (max.) = 6.82%

- Calcium (min.) = 1.14%

- Phosphorus (min.) = 0.91%

- Potassium = 1.14%

- Magnesium = .14%

- Sodium = .91%

- Carbohydrates (max.) = 11.36%

- Ash (max.) = 10.45%

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me at any time.

Brett Sher

847.537.0102 | evangersdogfood.com | againstthegrainpetfood.com

I got an Excel spreadsheet from Nulo on their Freestyle line, but I can't figure out how to attach it here.

I'm so glad someone is tackling this task. Let me know how I can help!

Sharon14 likes this.
  45. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Thanks for your help!
    It’s a real shame that some cat food manufactures refuse to supply data that is actually useful. :banghead:
    The Evanger “as said basis” values appear to be Guaranteed Analysis values… which… as we know… are useless.
    When was the last time you contacted Purina? Was it by phone or email?...
    Has anyone else tried to contact Purina later?...
    Has anyone tried mentioning that the data being requested is being requested by their veterinarian? Maybe that’s something to try (I’m presently trying that with the 9Lives manufacture (checked with my vet first)).
    Thanks again!
    John

46. Sharon14

47. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Good news... got a updated listing of the 9Lives (through my veterinarian)... this one is dated 03/16... spot checked about 6 or so of the favors and the values are all the same! :)
    I'll check the rest when I get a chance.

John

Sharon14 likes this.
  48. Sharon14

Bump
    Will try to get some more info this week. We could sure use some help....

JohnZ likes this.
  49. Capoo

Capoo Member

What about a food list for those who live in Europe?
    I have already gathered some information from food available on Zooplus, that would be interesting to build a common file for Europeans.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  50. Kelly Howard

Kelly Howard Member

I'd love to help, trying to figure all this food stuff out myself.

I didn't make it through the whole thread... Looks like a lot of data has already been obtained. Do you guys just want to assign a few brands to me and I'll start contacting them?

Kelly

JohnZ and Critter Mom like this.
  51. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Hi Kelly!

Thanks for offering to help... welcome aboard!

We have a pretty good list started.

We'll have to add you to the separate conversation thread. You can read through that to see where we are... @Sharon14 can you add Kelly to the conversation?... I believe that you have to do this?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  52. Sharon14

Done. And when I totally wake up, I'll see if I can find the list of companies I still need to contact! Thanks Kelly!

53. Debbie Gregory

Debbie Gregory Member

I heard back from Newman's Own and they sent detailed reports. I'm going to try and upload all 8 of them here. I have them in an email if it doesn't work.

Debbie

Attached Files:

Sharon14 and JohnZ like this.
  54. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Good Morning Debbie,

This is great… good job!

I was able to download all 8 files and will update the chart in the next couple of days.

Noticed that the 4 Grain Free flavors (GF in the file names) are missing the Fiber and Ash values. Could you try to track these down (As Fed values of course)?

I plan on posting a preliminary chart of what we have soon.

Thanks again!

John

55. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

Any info on natures variety instinct canned, both regular recipe and low ingredient?

It has been said they are low carb but i'd love to know for sure.

Thank you for the info!

56. Sharon14

They are on our list and I am planning on calling them next week to clarify a few numbers.

57. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

Oh wow thank you so much for that and all the other research you've been doing

58. Debbie Gregory

Debbie Gregory Member

John - Newman's Own -- have you got the numbers for Grain Free 95% Chicken and Turkey yet? I know you need to use a formula to translate.

I tried feeding the Chicken & Rice flavor and the cats liked it, except they spit out the rice pieces. The old chart has the dry matter carb count as 15, so it makes me a little nervous. Their newer products with 95% chicken or turkey should have better numbers. This tightrope of having both diabetes and CRF is a pain.

Fancy Feast works so well with the diabetes, why do their phosphorus counts have to be so very, very high?

Wish we had good numbers on Sheba since the cats love it.

59. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Hi Debbie,

No... Still missing the Fiber and Ash As Fed values... any luck in getting them? Also replied in the separate conversation...

John

60. Debbie Gregory

Debbie Gregory Member

Whoops! I did hear back right away and sent the info to you, but I think I responded to the auto generated email from the forum, which would not have gone back to you...sorry. Their vet said:

The ash is 3% and the fiber is 1% in the grain-free canned cat food.

Debbie

61. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Does this information help for Bravo foods?

Attached Files:

62. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Thanks!... but don't think we can use it... the values are 'guaranteed analysis' (min/max values)... we need 'as fed' (actual values).

63. Carol & Murphy (GA)

The first column says "as fed"

64. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Look at the column to the left of that.. the heading says ‘Guaranteed Analysis’ with the description of the first 4 nutrients listed as either ‘(min.%) Guar. Analysis’ or ‘(max.%) Guar. Analysis’…
    I may be incorrect here… but it looks like they’re trying to list the ‘guaranteed analysis’ and ‘as fed values’ in the same column… very confusing… these would have to be 2 separate values. Does that make sense?

65. Sharon14

I'm thinking that's what Natures Variety is doing too, giving us the 'as fed guaranteed analysis':confused::banghead:

66. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Just checked… if you were to add up the values for those first 4 nutrients with the all the other nutrients listed as a percentage… the total comes out as 108.98%... which… in reality… is impossible… they should total 100%.... we're doomed! :banghead:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  67. Sharon14

I sent an email to Bravo cat food. We'll see what they say...

68. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

If someone can tell me how to get in touch with Purina I can try them again. I'm not sure how to go about contacting them. Do I just email them from their website? I can try friskies again too. I'm not afraid to be stern but polite! I can try on Wednesday. Wait- they're the same company aren't they? haha

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  69. Sharon14

Purina makes Friskies, Fancy Feast, Pro Plan and maybe others as well. The phone number on the Friskies can is 1-800-778-8864, on the FF can it's 1-800-933-0991 Both have Purina.com as the website. Good Luck!!!

StephG likes this.
  70. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

@StephG, good luck with Purina. I tried asking for their R&D department, thinking they would know more, but couldn't get there. :rolleyes::mad:

Be sure you ask for "as fed" or "dry matter" values, and stress you do NOT want "guaranteed analysis" (they will try to give you those). Please also ask for the Phosphorus values.

I'm wondering if it would help to say you are calling on behalf of a Feline Diabetes support group? Maybe also reference Dr. Lisa Pierson's list and say you are working on an update? These are just thoughts I've been tossing around. Feel free to ignore them.;)

StephG likes this.
  71. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Better to just ask for the "as fed" values (and not the "dry matter" values).

StephG likes this.
  72. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

When I asked for just "as fed", they kept giving me the "guaranteed analysis". That's why I mentioned "dry matter". We can work with either.

Elizabeth and Bertie and StephG like this.
  73. Sharon14

@Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Some companies are being very cooperative, others not so much! We've been asking for 'as fed' values and they often give the guaranteed instead, so how do we calculate calories from carbs using dry matter? Right now we're just using the numbers they give and adding footnotes to show that the calculations are not accurate...:banghead:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Reason for edit: Add tag
  74. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Sharon, if you look at the second question on this page of Janet & Binky's page, there's a link to an Excel spreadsheet that will calculate carbs using As Fed or Dry Matter values.

Sharon14 likes this.
  75. Capoo

Capoo Member

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to present yourself as a member of a board dedicated to feline diabetes:
    - first, Purina is making its DM range dedicated to diabetes that they sell a fortune,
    - and I'm sure that they don't want to take any responsibility with their other ranges with diabetes, and risk to be sued.

What about presenting you as a student?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    StephG, Kris & Teasel and Sharon14 like this.
  76. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I have been telling them that I'm looking for a low carb food to feed my cat because he is very sensitive to carbs. Sensitive enough that the GA listed on the can is not enough information for me to be able to determine if he can eat that flavor or that brand. I don't mention diabetes because I don't want to be given the DM runaround. I don't mention the forum or any vet by name. I only tell them my vet has given me a list of the nutrients I need to be able to calculate which food is the best for his sensitive system. If they ask for specific condition I tell them we are not sure yet what he has and I have spent a lot of money trying to determine what it is so that is why I'm looking for these AS FED analysis numbers. We are taking a "food control" approach to see if it is a protein issue or just carbs alone.

I haven't had anyone argue or demand more info yet. I tell them I want to stay with his favorite brand or my favorite brand that is "high quality and lower priced". Toot their horn a bit! haha.

Sharon14 and Capoo like this.
  77. Sharon14

Bump!

We are still working on an update. If anyone has any foods they would like included, or want to help, we could really use it!

78. Carol & Murphy (GA)

It would be helpful to get a list of the foods already calculated so we could see which ones were left

79. Megan and Boots (GA)

Megan and Boots (GA) Member

I am pretty busy these days, but would like to try to help if I can. How are you guys doing this? Is there a running list someplace of what's already been collected, or a list of companies yet to be contacted?

80. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Hi...

An update... at this point we have over 330 entries in the chart...

I need to clean it up a bit more (so it more readable) and get a preliminary version of it posted soon.

The biggest problem we’re having is getting usable data from Purina… all they have offered are Guaranteed Analysis (GA) values which do not produce accurate calculations due to the fact that the values (GA) are minimums or maximums and not the actual values... anyone want to take another shot at Purina?

We're keep you posted.

81. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

it would be nice if the new chart has the column heading on each page. That way when scrolling through the pages one can easily know what each column represents

Sharon14 likes this.
  82. Sharon14

Good idea Larry. If anyone else has suggestions, please post them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.