Using freestyle test strips in alphatrak

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sam-cat, Aug 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

To make things a bit more affordable I am trying to use the freestyle lite strips in alphatrak 2 glucometer. I am intending to test him with both strips to see how the numbers compare.

When using freestyle strips in alphatrak what code do people set it to. I tried with both strips - leaving the alphatrak on code 7 from his alphatrak strips. Big difference in numbers :banghead:
    7.3 with alphatrak
    5.6 with freestyle.
    Didn't think they would be exactly the same but this seems too much of a difference?_
    Managed to get same jab for both strips. Is there something I need to alter with the code or do the numbers differ so much?

Thanks for any advice.:)

FranklinsMom likes this.
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If you use the "right" code, the Frestyle strips will work the same as real AlphaTrak strips.
    What code is listed on the FreeStyle strip vial?

The purpose of the codes for human strips is to get more accurate results since each lot of strips can be slightly different. The different is accounted for y using the appropriate code.
    When the strips are used for animal blood, the appropriate code is used that:
    - Accounts for the differences the distribution of glucose between cat and human blood
    - Account for absolute differences between each lot of strips.

Marlena likes this.
  3. Case

Case Member

I use the freestyle lite strips in my alphatrak as well. I left the last code I had for the alphatrak test strips which was 7 too. Like Larry said if you use the correct code it will work the same. I know there's quite a few different ones, but the only other code I know for sure for cats is 38. You can try changing to another cat code but it does vary. I would also try using the control solution to make sure they are working properly and fall into the correct range. I find it works well for me. I've never been outside of the 20% meter variance with any numbers so far and I tested A LOT between the two types of strips with the same drop of blood. If you do end up switching be sure to keep a box of the alphatrak trak strips for emergencies to ensure 100% accuracy. If you want more info try searching the forum because I know I saw a few posts about this topic that might help clarify it for you. :)

ETA: If you do try another cat code that gives you a closer number range, I'd stick with it and not change it again.

4. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

I had it on code 7 for last test which is the one for the alphatrak test strips I am using. I will try again and see what the difference is - still code 7
    Alphatrak - 16.4
    Freestyle - 17.8
    So better. Didn't manage the same drop of blood this time - he moved:facepalm:
    Will keep going with using both and see how it goes.
    The is for your help:)

5. Case

Case Member

Sure thing it's not perfect but as long as you're consistent with which strips you use I believe you can still see the correct patterns. You can only do what you're comfortable with, but I know those AT2 strips are ridiculously expensive. Best of luck!

6. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

Numbers were lots closer tonight so we will definitely keep going using both strips.
    Sam is not impressed as he associated the beep of when it has got blood with being fed. Not having to sit still while I change the strip and retest him;)

7. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

I'm planning to order some Freestyle lite strips to use with my Alphatrak 2 and want to make sure I get the right ones. I see these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074TC5TLN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502812355&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=freestyle lite strips&psc=1 for $49.95 and the Alphatrak 2 test strips: https://www.amazon.com/AlphaTRAK-Blood-Glucose-Strips-Count/dp/B007TL2ULA/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1502812433&sr=1-1&keywords=alphatrak 2 test strips for $52.70. I am just double-checking that these are the Freestyle lite strips for the Alphatrak 2? I read the Freestyle lite strips were a lot cheaper so I am double-checking. Thanks.

8. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I only use FreeStyle Lite strips in the AlphaTrak2 tester. They work fine. I use code = 38.

In fact, I have been using them for 1 year. They are fine. To plan ahead, you can get them off Ebay. Usually for 150-200 strips you can get them in the $0.40 per strip price range. Probably even better deals out there. Last time, I bought 300. We are using 3-4 strips per day so it seems like a lot, but they get used up fast.

9. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

FranklinsMom - those freestyle ones look exactly the same as the ones I got - but mega expensive!!
    I am in UK so don't know what I paid in dollars, but to give you a comparison in the difference in price
    I paid about £46 for 50 Alphatrak 2 strips from Animed and £15 for 50 Freestyle Lite strips on EBay.

Thanks JeffJ - I am using code 7, but might be worth trying 38 to see if that gives is closer readings. The alphatrak strips are so expensive and like you we go through them fast. So would be good to find a more affordable alternative:)

10. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Tess, do you have pet insurance? If so you should be able to claim for strips...

11. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

Larry, I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused and I need to make sure I'm doing the right thing as I use Freestyle lite test strips as well.
    What do you mean by the "right" code? Is it the last code I had in my AlphaTrak when I was using Alphatrak test strips with cat coding? I just need to clarify, many thanks.

12. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Okay, thanks for the tip on Ebay. Let me just say...it is one thing to have a new way of life, poking your cat before feeding him and then shooting him up with insulin after he eats. It's another interesting new experience to be sitting on your computer in the dark of the early morning hours, searching on Ebay and Craigslist for black-market test strips for your furry baby. ;) :)

13. Diana&Tom

Ha ha! We've all been there!

14. Case

Case Member

The alphatrak test strips are batch tested and configured to certain codes that make them as close to vet tests as possible. That's why different vials have different cat codes, it just means they were more accurate at that particular code. Thats the only differnece between the freestyle lite strips and the AT2. So I believe what Larry is saying is that if you happen to use the "right" code on the FSL strip it will literally be just as accurate as the AT2. You don't have to change the codes everytime, just use one that you know is for cats and stick to it. I could understand changing the codes at first to find the closest range, but keep in mind each vial is different and personally I'd go crazy trying to find the best code for each one. I know there's a bunch of cat codes for them but I only know of 7 and 38 for sure. Hope this makes sense.

Marlena likes this.
  15. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Whenever I use a new container of FS Lite strips with my AT2 meter I do a control test to make sure the numbers fall within the range listed on the AT2 strip container.

AT2 strip code numbers I have had so far are 37, 38 and 08. I just leave the last number each time and do a control test. I believe @MrWorfMen's Mom has a longer list of AT2 code numbers.??

16. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

About ebay test strips. Yes, I agree. I think the ebay test strips are probably grey market. Some people may have diabetes, but they aren't using those strips. I'm just guessing, since I never asked any of them.

Also I buy the Levemir insulin off the grey market too. If you look in the subforum "Supply Closet", there are people offering supplies for sale there. I have made many purchases from Alan Hamman, and I will continue. He's a good guy, and he is helping out cat owners.

17. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

The currently known AT2 codes for cats are 07, 08, 37, 38,92, 93. :)

Case likes this.
  18. Larry and Kitties

For cat users of FSL strips in AlphaTrak meters it would be nice if users who are satisfied with the BG comparison list the code on the FSL vial and the code they are entering in the AlphaTrak meter.
    The "correct" code to enter in the AlphaTrak meter depends upon the code listed on the FSL vial

Marlena likes this.
  19. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

Sadly no pet insurance but will do all I can to get Sam all he needs.
    ... we might be living on beans and toast be hey ho!

Diana&Tom likes this.
  20. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

Thanks for all the advice - it is crazy how much the Alphatrak ones are and .cant believe that they coat that much more to produce than the freestyle ones.

I think that I will carry on using both alphatrak and freestyle and see how they compare. Also might try different cat codes with the freestyle and see if that makes it any closer to what the alphatrak ate reading at.

Hope we can make the transition to using freestyle ones as the cost difference is huge. But need to get more confident as to how the readings compare. And will keep some alphatrak ones in for anytime I'm worried.

And yep I'm sure I'll be online at stupid o'clock comparing costs is test strips - it is a strange new world!!!

21. MrWorfMen's Mom

Sorry Larry but that is NOT the case. The code 16 on the FSL strip vials is for human blood testing using the older Freestyle meter that required coding. Use of that code if it even exists on the AT2 meter is not a known cat code and goodness only knows how off the readings might be.

22. Tuxedo Mom

I agree with Linda. I have been buying FS Lite strips for 2 1/2 years and the code listed on the FS Lite strips is always 16.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  23. Diana&Tom

Ah bless you... a true cat-lover!

Sam-cat and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  24. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I say the same for my boy :). When I wasn't working, I'd tell people I can eat a slice of bread a day but my boy will have his 4 meals :cat:

Sam-cat and Diana&Tom like this.
  25. Tuxedo Mom

Same here. I had dental problems that I let go so I could do required tests and insulin/testing treatments for my 2 FD kitties. I recently went to a dentist and my dental problems have evolved into possibly needing dentures now :eek: But my kitties had their dentals LOL

26. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

I read this differently than a few folks, I don't think the suggestion was to enter the FSL code into the AT2 machine.

May I ask those who have been comparing between AT2 test strips and FSL, is there an FSL code that is better aligned with the AT2 code? ie. I have a FSL code of 16, and an AT2 code of 8; however, last night the difference between the two test strips on the same blood sample was 108. That's a pretty big difference. Sometimes the FSL is lower, sometimes it is higher, but usually around 50-60 difference, since I started comparing.

So, if my machine is coded to 8, and I have an FSL code of 16, is there a better AT2 code to use, like 07, 37, 38, 93...etc. which gives me a closer value when using a FSL coded strip of 16 in it.

Does this make sense?

27. Tuxedo Mom

In 2 1/2 years ALL my FS Lite strips have had a code of 16. I have used codes 08 and 37 on my AT2 meter and had basically the same results. You can ALWAYS get a bad strip or wonky number with any meter but overall I have found the numbers to be consistently close.

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  28. Christie & Maverick

Thank you, that helps! I would like to get to a stage where I am not comparing every reading with two strips :D, it kind of defeats the purpose if I keep using up my spare stash of expensive AT2 strips lol

Sam-cat likes this.
  29. Tuxedo Mom

When I started I did probably around 50 same blood comparisons with the AT2 strip in the AT2 meter and the FS Lite strip in the AT2 meter. Took some fancy handwork to do it, but when I was done I felt very confident with the numbers. I still keep some AT2 strips on hand just in case.

30. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ignore the code on the FSL strips as it won't change and doesn't effect you at all. I called Abbott to get clarification of what that FSL code was for. You have about a 17% chance of getting an AT2 strip equivalent reading with any of the 6 known AT2 cat codes using FSL strips. The rest will be in the ballpark. Some of the difference you see isn't straight up number difference. It's also meter variance which means that even if you used 2 AT2 meter strips and tested the same drop of blood, you might still see a difference in the readings potentially of up to 20% although I doubt the variance would be that much very often.

JeffJ and Christie & Maverick like this.
  31. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

I think I will need to carry on sou g tests with alphatrak and freestyle strips to build up confidence that the freestyle ones are fine. But yep hopefully not forever as that would defeat the purpose. Unfortunately I think I got a random reading from the first freestyle strip I used. All the others have been around the alphatrak reading, but need to trust their results.

32. Christie & Maverick

I think part of the take-away here as well for me as a newbie, thanks to what more experienced members have said, it is also entirely possible to get two different readings from two AT2 test strips with the same blood, due to variance in accuracy of the machine itself.

That goes against my natural instinct to want numbers to match up and be 100% accurate, just because they should! :confused:

I think what's important too is the overall trend of the readings, not necessarily the minor variance between two test strips. I'll certainly double check any wonky readings, because I understand now some of the limitations of the machine.

Kris & Teasel and Case like this.
  33. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Linda is correct on the 20% variance. When we take readings I do small rounding. Example 217 -> 215. The numbers are not exact. Theresa always bugs me "Well it says 329, you should write that!". Unfortunately with a 20% variance, the "329" is around 330.

Measuring Leo with AT2 and FreeStyle Lite - I have gotten slightly different readings 10 minutes apart. But usually they are in the ballpark within 10-15 points above 150. If we get really low readings (60 or less), we treat as an emergency hypo and frequently retest after handling the hypo (and our blood pressure).

34. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Good morning all, we have found with Titan that using a small plastic spoon ( a credit card works also) to catch the drop of blood then we can let him relax and dip several test strips into the pool of blood on the spoon. Another advantage is that we are not pushed by the tyme limit on the test strip being put into the meters. Hope this helps!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  35. Larry and Kitties

The "correct" code to enter in the AlphaTrak meter depends upon the code listed on the FSL vial
    Sorry Larry but that is NOT the case. The code 16 on the FSL strip vials is for human blood testing using the older Freestyle meter that required coding. Use of that code if it even exists on the AT2 meter is not a known cat code and goodness only knows how off the readings might be.

I did NOT says use the FSL code for the AlphaTrak meter. Depends does not equal use the same cade. I said if another user is successfully using FSL strips whose vial says code x and entering code y in the AlphaTrack meter than other users uses FSL strips whose vial says x will have same successful results (with the +/- 20 error) by using code y in their AlphTrak meter

36. MrWorfMen's Mom

You said "depends on the code listed on the FSL vial" which it does not. The code on the FSL strip vials does not change. All FSL strip vial labels have code 16 on them and that code is for use ONLY with the older Freestyle Lite meters that required coding. That code on the FSL strip vials has absolutely nothing to do with getting accurate readings on the AT2 meter using FSL strips. The only code that matters is the code on the AT2 meter and it must be one of the known cat codes which are 07, 08, 37, 38, 92 and 93.

The FSL strips that are branded as AT2 strips have been batch tested to determine which code the AT2 meter should be set on to render the most accurate results.

37. Marlena

38. Marlena

Thank you so much Linda!:)

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  39. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

Thanks I will try that. I did manage to get both strips in same blob of blood in his ear tonight - but was lucky that my partner was around to hand me the different strip!

BG readings are much closer on both strips so feel a bit better that i might be able to trust them:)

Marlena likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.