1. Cynthia & Merlin (GA)

Cynthia & Merlin (GA) Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/merlins-just-pitiful.201609/#post-2242090

Hi everyone/anyone

Since Merlin is a confirmed acro/IAA (as of 8/29), I want to start using R to tug at his resistance. I don’t know how to tag anyone and in the last thread Jill tagged a bunch of folks (thank you) and Marje offered some beginning guidelines (much appreciated).

As you will see on Merlin’s SS (also, how do I provide his link in my signature just saying Merlin’s SS instead of the actual full link), his numbers are horrible. I’ve ramped up more aggressively to 5U Lantus, but do not know where/how to proceed from here. I am going to Walmart tomorrow to see if they have the R in stock. If not, I’ll order online and it should be here sometime Wednesday and then hopefully I’ll have some info from you guys on how to proceed. Being home to test however much is not an issue.

Thank you all so very much!

Cynthia (also can I change my profile name? I wasn’t sure how to set it up when I first signed on)

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

To tag someone, just the @ sign and start typing out their name. Usually there will be a list that will drop down for you to select from.

As for using R, please work with an experienced person here when starting to use R. It's very helpful with high dose cats but it can also be very dangerous. It is not dosed like Lantus and you start out on tiny doses.

Cynthia & Merlin (GA) likes this.
  3. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’ll be happy to help you. Walmart should have it in stock if you ask for Novolin R. It comes in a vial and you can use your U100 syringes.

When I get back home later today, I’ll post more info for you.

4. Cynthia & Merlin (GA)

Thanks Marje. He’s having such a hard day. I am looking forward to learning from you. No worries about tonight.

5. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad to see you will try R. It was the catalyst that got Bronx out of all reds & blacks

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Here's a video that might help with fixing the link in your signature:

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

To change your user name, click on the current user name in upper right corner and then click on “personal details”. Look at the far left column and scroll all the way to the bottom to Advanced Options and you’ll see “change user name” under that.

To abbreviate his SS link, click on your user name, upper right corner, then click on “signature”. Highlight and cut the link that you already have in the signature. Put your cursor in front of “Merlin’s SS” that you’ve already typed in the signature and hit “return” so it’s on a line by itself. Then highlight it. Above the text box, click on the first icon on your left (looks like a paper clip) and paste the link into the box that opens. Click “insert” and “Merlin’s SS” should turn light blue. Click “save” and you’re done.

Pls let me know when you want to start using R and what time zone you are in. Right now, I’m in PDT and if you are, too, or you are in MDT, it will be easier.

I’m also going to tag @Sandy and Black Kitty and @Wendy&Neko because I can get you started but as the R dose needs to increase, it’s good to also have those who have used R on IAA and acro on board. Wendy is on vacation right now but she will eventually check in and we can do just fine for the first several R increases.

In the meantime while you are deciding when you want to start, you might want to look at Crystal’s SS and Cobb’s SS. Crystal was dx acro but was like also IAA (not tested) and Cobb was IAA and, although he was not tested for acro, the assumption by everyone was that he was. Neither of these CGs did SRT but you can see how the R helped them both get nicely regulated and Cobbs L dose came down a lot. Both cats started on lantus and switched to Lev.

8. Cynthia & Merlin (GA)

Sorry, I do not see a link to video. Really nice of you to try.

9. Cynthia & Merlin (GA)

Well, as soon as I typed a reply, the video showed up ;-)

Many thanks!

10. Cynthia & Merlin (GA)

Will do! Pleasant dreams.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Stopping in cause Marje tagged me, and we are at a rural island, but the marina has wireless. :cool: I expect to be off the grid again tomorrow until I get home. Sorry I can't link their spreadshseets, but there are others who have had acro:IAA combo and used R. @saltycat (Wes) sometimes checks in, and his Jack switched from Prozinc to Lev, as did Michelle's @Beenie (GA)

12. Cynthia & Merlin (GA)

You guys are amazing! I plan on picking up the R sometime tomorrow and then starting it maybe Wednesday. Given that there are so many here on FDMB willing to help, I feel that I’m in good hands. Thanks so much!

13. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi there :cool:

My BK would not have survived without the help of R. You can see a few of his R scales on one of the tabs on his ss.

The R scale is different for every kitty. its something that you develop and change over time. It’s an important tool and will function as your guide.