Vet Surprise

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Beck and Philly, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

Just got home from dropping a cat off at a vet hospital for a dental tomorrow. Since I was making the hour+ drive each way, I made an appointment to also get Grandpa checked out. He's been a little sniffley.

A vet that I've never met walked in and without waiting for me to get Grandpa out of his carrier she looked at his chart and says, "Oh, I see his prognosis isn't very good." It took me a second to respond, but I just said, "We aren't telling him that. " She looked at me a little odd. I then pulled him out of his carrier and I could tell she was preparing to see and treat a fragile, sick kitty. Grandpa appeared from the carrier in all his "Hi! What's up?" style.

It was time for his insulin and I had packed his syringe and some food for the trip. I asked if she minded if I gave him some. She said, "Is he still eating?" I laughed and put the food on a plate. Grandpa dove right in. She reached out to start his exam and he growled at her. I gave his insulin shot while we chatted and opened a second small can of food for him to attack. I could tell she had no idea what to think of it all. I told her that they wanted to euthanize him back on June 20. She said she had read that in his chart.

The good news is that he has no fever and no sign of an ear infection or anything like that. He has lost 1/2 a pound so I need to make sure he's getting quality calories. He handled several hours in the car like a pro. And he taught a doctor that words on paper aren't as important as they might believe.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  2. JeanW

JeanW Member

Yay, Grandpa! I love to hear this. Good thoughts your way. :bighug:

Beck and Philly likes this.
  3. Tiger and the squid

Tiger and the squid Member

I said this before and I will say it again.

I don't know Grandpa but I love him.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Way to go, Grandpa!!! You show 'em!!

5. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

You go, Grandpa!!! Send that vet back to school, lol! :cat: Beck, that's got to really make you smile!:D:bighug::bighug:
    What are you feeding him for quality calories? I need to get Squallie back up to weight, once this constipation clears. He's lost more than a pound. :(

JanetNJ and Beck and Philly like this.
  6. Beck and Philly

It does make me feel good. He's something else. I know I won't have him forever, but I'm loving every day.

I don't know what will help him put weight back on. He was 12 lbs before he got sick. He dropped to 9.5 pretty quickly and seemed to be holding steady. Then a few weeks ago we took him on a weekend at a cabin in Lost River State Park and he ate bacon grease out of the skillet. That made for a miserable few days for everyone, and he looked so thin. Since then he has regained his appetite and maybe regained some of what he lost, but I hated to see the scale register 9 lbs yesterday.

I'm going to do some reading to find some calorie- dense options so what he eats will hopefully help put weight on. I noticed can foods can vary quite a bit in calories. Tiki cat 3oz is only 70 some calories while Fancy Feast is in the 90s. I've just been looking at carbs and protein. I want to look a little deeper at the options. We have a pet store in Hagerstown that has a selection of foods im not very familiar with so I may go shopping.

If you find anything that works for Squallie, let me know? I'l do the same.

And I'd love suggestions from anyone out there!

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Kitten food is often higher in calories, along with the prescription "recovery" food that vets carry.

I love this report! Grandpa has become near and dear to all of us! :):bighug:

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Well done Grandpa!! You show 'em!!!!
    I think that's a great story and I think the vet learned a thing or two!

Have you ever given egg to Grandpa? It is full of vitamins and minerals? Scrambled is easy for them to eat. He could have one every week if he liked it.
    And maybe a small amount of cooked liver?
    Or chicken hearts raw? Or cooked if you would rather.

9. Beck and Philly

Perfect! With four kittens running around here (available for adoption just in case anyone needs a new friend), we always have kitten food around. I also have some AD. Thanks!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  10. Beck and Philly

Eggs! Perfect suggestion! I may surprise him with a nice egg breakfast snack.

Liver and chicken hearts...Grandpa, dear, you know I love you because I will bring you liver and hearts (the kind without cute cherubs and arrows).

Thanks!

11. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I’m just smiling all over to see this!! Love Grampa! He is a rock star just like his momma! :bighug::bighug:

12. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

Aww!! You show 'em, Grandpa!!

13. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Way to go Grampa!! Is great to hear such good news.

Vets should be more careful with their assessments and comments sometimes

14. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

I really have no words for the “schooling” you and dear Grandpa gave the vet ...AWESOME :) Good reminder to us all to respect a vets schooling but to trust our own gut and knowledge of our kitties:bighug: Grandpa, you brightened my day and have gladdened my heart ❤️. You are my hero ( and your momma too :bighug:)

15. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Grandpa rocks!
    I end up in emergency once a year for a pinched nerve in my back. What nurses call a frequent flyer except that I'm not looking for drugs, already have some. The last time I got the condescending eye-rolling look I produced my 50 gallon drum of prescription pain killers to prove I was not just looking for drugs. That made them really mad. It's too bad cats and dogs can't talk. "So you're the guy that wanted to put me out of my misery. I think you need an enema."

16. Beck and Philly

Ha!!! I think Grandpa's little growl while he was eating was his version of the enema threat. It was one of those moments when as a responsible pet parent I knew he shouldn't growl, but secretly I was thinking "good for you."

To the vet's credit, when I mentioned that there was no way I was considering euthanasia regardless of what his scans show, she said that she wouldn't either.

Sorry about your back! I ruptured a disc years ago. Back pain sucks.

Leah likes this.
  17. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Go, Grandpa! She did not know who she was dealing with... he isn't afraid of vacuums, and he has a bow tie! :cat:

18. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Noah & me, you are a hot mess :woot: :joyful: :woot: :joyful: I am belly laughing !!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Idjit's mom and Beck and Philly like this.
  19. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Omgosh glad he growled and showed her! Talk about insensitive. I agreed with your words as well. You go gramps! Such a sweet boy. Big hugs to you!

20. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

Kudos Grampa! Great news!

21. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

A "free" healthcare system would make you a hot mess too. Got a sliver? Stub your toe? Why not go to emergency on a Friday night! My vet is half the distance to the local hospital. I'd rather get stiches from a tech than wait in a confined space with a lot of coughing sneezing people at the hospital. Enemas I can do at home and hey, if one is good two is better right?

22. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

I give zero carb freeze dried meat dog treats as after-test treat/before 9 Lives appetizer. This helps him eat more canned food, it ups the overall protein percentage of his diet, and helps him maintain his weight :) If the cat loses a little weight and needs to gain some weight, I add a few more treats :D I've been giving Orijen Regional Red, but am going to find something else after we get moved due to the heavy metal and BPA contamination in the Orijen cat food and dog food that has been alleged in the current class action lawsuits :banghead: Even though the treats aren't named, I figure there is the potential for them to be contaminated, too :arghh: :mad: :(

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  23. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

You show them Grandpa. Make them eat their words.

@Beck and Grandpa regarding food, Nulo brand is low carbs and higher calories. It is dense food. It's pricey compared to FF.

Smokey loved chicken gizzards and hearts, I cooked them but "dropped" one or two pieces he gladly picked up for me. Carefully with liver. You have to give only small amount of fan cause vitamin A toxicity.

24. Mags920

Mags920 Member

love your response!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.