? Vet visit today-Is a pet meter better than a human meter?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura bb, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Going to vet today. I was told to bring in my meter. I have this feeling she will tell me I need a pet meter, and my numbers are all wrong. What is the biggest difference in numbers? Really nervous for today of what she will say. His numbers are high still, however observing him he looks better, walking taller, more energy, not peeing as much, stronger and more playful. Am I just trying too hopeful?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

A pet meter will give readings closer to what your vet's meter gives. Unfortunately the test strips for the most used pet meter, the AlphaTrak 2, are very expensive - about a dollar a strip in the US ($2 per for me in Canada!). Many people here, if not most, use a human meter because test strips are much cheaper in the US. They read lower than a pet meter but we all know how to interpret those numbers. The difference is higher at high BGs and much smaller at low BGs. There's no formula for converting human meter readings to pet meter numbers.

If the vet INSISTS on a pet meter before talking to you about Nermal's progress, you could buy a pet meter and use it only when you're doing a curve at home for the vet. On other days you can use a human meter.

3. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Ok, Thank You! I was very nervous she would say mine is useless. I am going to have to buy a new meter anyway because they are already starting to run out of strips. I went in yesterday to get more needles and to ask about the glucose curve. They said they prefer to do a fructosamine test rather then a curve, because it hurts their ears. I do not think they will do a fructosamine test today because they told me the visit will only cost $27. I do not want another vet at all, they told me FF pated from day one, and I can tell they care. Compared to other vets in town it is the best one I have found for him. They are a Cats Only vet and she treats a lot of diabetic kitties. I feel like I am torturing Nermal everyday with poking him. I have a feeling their reading today will be high. As soon as he gets in that carrier he starts howling, then on the way there he howls and pants and then I start getting extra stressed too. I have been dreading today all week. I am so nervous they will tell me I should not poke his ears so much and I have been torturing him.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Saw THIS THREAD last night indicating that the strips for the Confirm meter will still be available from ADW (see post #40). You'll have to order online and have them delivered so you'll need to make sure you keep a good supply on hand but at least you can get strips so you really don't have to hunt down a new meter unless you choose to.

Our kitties ears really don't have a lot of nerve endings. They don't feel anything even resembling what we feel when we poke the end of our fingers as long as you poke in the sweet spot instead of right into the vein. Make sure to apply a bit of pressure to the poked area after each test to stop any bruising and Nermal will be just fine.

Home testing will give you far more accurate BG readings and save you the cost of curves and fructosamine tests. Fructosamine tests are great for establishing a diagnosis but they can sometimes give misleading results whenused as tool to adjust insulin doses. Not only will you save money testing at home but you will also make life a lot easier on both you and Nermal by avoiding frequent vet visits. :)

Kris & Teasel and Laura bb like this.
  5. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Ok I will order soon strips soon, cannot wait to get this vet visit over with. I cannot stop my mind from going in circles of what they might say today.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

There was a thread recently about "human vet stress".....in Community forum I think. It's a real thing I imagine we all suffer to some degree! I wonder if our BGs gets elevated too?!:woot: Deep Breathes! You and Nermal will be just fine! :bighug:

Laura bb likes this.
  7. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank you. I already have issues with high anxiety, just anxious to get this over with and see how they think he is on progress.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  8. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

What I did for my visit yesterday was test immediately before putting her in the crate, so we could see how much stress elevated the glucose. When there, we tested with both meters off the same blood drop. I also showed the spreadsheet. I'm not sure how to link to other threads, but my vet thread yesterday has some good comments that are relative to your concerns.

Laura bb likes this.
  9. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

I had to reschedule for tomorrow due to some other events in my life going on.

10. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Ugh, sorry you have to wait another day, but try not to stress about it. Whatever the vet says, come back here and tell us and we’ll help you figure it all out. :bighug:

Laura bb likes this.
  11. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

I have decided to write questions down to ask the vet, usually I am so frustrated just getting him to the vet that I forget questions I want to ask.

Sharon14 likes this.
  12. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank you-I will!

Sharon14 likes this.
  13. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Should the vet say you need the pet meter. You could say you've been looking into it and can get it cheaper on line. Whether or not you order it, vet won't know. Just saying.........

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  14. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

If you decide to ever get a pet meter and choose the Alphatrak2, you can order or buy Freestyle InsulinX strips for it. They are identical to the expensive Alphatrak2 strips and much less expensive.

JanetNJ, Sharon14 and Laura bb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.