!! Vets can't stabilize glucose levels.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mariana.Mnez, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mariana.Mnez

Mariana.Mnez New Member

Good night everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to the feline diabetes topic. About 8 months ago I found a cat in the street and took him home with me, first vet told me he was a she, and an old one, which was why he drank so much water. He's been in and out of the vet for several other reasons (feline acne, testing, eye wound), he was skinny but vets never actually treated him for anything in particular. Last Saturday I saw he was very sick, he was hardly moving and when he did, he'd tumble, he was meowing a lot, so I took him to the vet and after some tests he was diagnosed with diabetes. He arrived with 700 of glucose and from that day on the vets have been able to get him down to 400, 300, 150, but then all the way down to 50, 80 and spiking from 400 to 80 and so on. Today my vet finally told me to put him to sleep. I have been visiting him daily at the hospital and he was very sad, hardly moving and he looked really really sick. However, today, after deciding to put him down because I don't want him to suffer, he looked like before, he was rubbing his head against me, giving me kisses and generally letting me cuddle him, walking around and stuff. So I decided to wait again, but my vets tell me there's nothing to do. I don't want to let him go, but I don't want him to suffer either, I just want to make sure I'm making everything in my hands to get him to get better before giving up.
    Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2016
    Reason for edit: Removed 911. Taro is being taken to another vet.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with your dear kitty (what's kitty's name?)

What are you feeding? A low carb canned or raw diet can go a long way in helping control the diabetes. If you're feeding something high carb, it's like trying to put a fire out while continuing to pour gasoline on it.

Are you on insulin? What kind?

I wouldn't give up hope yet....most vets have very little up to date training on treating feline diabetes so they do things all wrong. The people here have lots of real life experience and can most likely help you get your "extra sweet" kitty under better control.

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry you are having problems with your cat and your vet. What treatments has the vet been giving? Do you have copies of lab work? Glucose numbers? If not, you can ask the vet for them. The more information you can give, the better.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    First of all, diabetes is a very treatable disease and I would not even think of having him put down. But it takes time for the body to get used to the insulin. It sounds like your kitty has had diabetes for some time so his body is used to higher numbers. He is certainly responding to the insulin. When the blood glucose drops down lower than he is used to, his body panics and dumps regulatory hormones in his blood stream to "save himself" which raises the blood glucose......and he "bounces" This is very normal behaviour and lots of cats do it, especially in the beginning, until they get used to the lower normal numbers again.
    If your vet will not work with you to treat kitty I would find a vet who will,

What insulin are you using. Lantus, Levemir or ProZinz are long acting insulins and are the best for kitty. There are many experienced people here who know lots about feline diabetes and are very willing to help you.

5. Mariana.Mnez

Mariana.Mnez New Member

Thank you for your kind responses, my kitty's name is Taro, i know that he's been taking insulin was twice a day and the vets have told me they have tried with different kinds and has not responded well to any. I feel like it's too soon to tell, as today was only his forth day after being diagnosed. He was very skinny, which is why vets are saying he will not be able to endure anymore ups and downs. I will get the names of the insulin and I will share it with you. He's currently on a wet food diet, before being diagnosed he was eating commercial food but I did share some of my own food with him.

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I want you to see the difference between when my cat was first diagnosed and how she looked just a few months later (with the help of the people here....NOT my vet!)

Click on pictures to expand
    China before diagnosis.jpg less than 8lbs...a walking skeleton
    China after diagnosis.jpg with the help of the people here who know what they're doing and Lantus insulin....12+lbs

Commercial foods can be fine!! The fancy "prescription" foods are nothing special (other than being expensive!) Most of us here feed Fancy Feast Classics, Friskies pates or 9-Lives ground....they're below 10% carbs and that's the important thing. Most of the prescription foods are much higher in carbs and no good at all for a diabetic cat

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Welcome sweet Taro.
    I wonder how experienced your vets are with feline diabetes. It is not like canine diabetes. It will take more than 4 days to get the diabetes under control and if they have been using several different insulins....no wonder he is all over the place.
    A lot of cats lose a lot of weight when they have undiagnosed diabetes for a while. Once the blood sugars are under control, the weight will start to go back on. That happened with my cat Sheba and she is a perfect weight now.
    Let him eat all he wants as his body is not able to get all the nutrients out of the food when the blood sugars are high....but this all goes back to normal when the blood sugars regulate. Make sure he is getting plenty to drink too. If he is not drinking, you can add some warm water to his food.

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so glad your kitty has you to love him and fight for him. I'm very sorry that you have a vet who wants to give up but it is your kitty and your decision. The first vet I took my cat to completely missed the diabetes and refused my request to do any diagnostics whatsoever. Thankfully I found FDMB and from what I learned here I was able to go back to a different vet and get her the help and treatment she needed. FDMB helped me save my cat's life.

What you describe about how your cat is behaving is essentially the same as I saw in my cat when she first started treatment. She was really lethargic and unwell for several days when she first started getting insulin but on the sixth day - and after three days in hospital - she became more alert; more herself. As her body started getting used to the insulin she she brightened up, started scent marking again (rubbing her face against the sides of her kennel) and started to be affectionate again. Progress was slow and steady at first but she kept getting better. Very, very shortly after starting insulin she started eating, drinking and peeing normally again. As her treatment continued she regained the weight she lost, her energy and behaviour returned to normal and her coat became thick, black and soft again. Four months after starting treatment she looked like she had been drinking at the Fountain of Youth (our new vet was stunned at her improvement). Shortly after that she was climbing trees!

Regulation doesn't happen overnight. Your vet can't "force" the BG back to a healthy range in a few days. The idea is to start at a SAFE insulin dose (enough to start helping the cat to use glucose properly again), test blood glucose and ketone levels (just like a human does - we can help you learn how to test) and then make small, gradual, steady changes to the insulin dose based on the individual cat's response so as to ease the cat into healthier blood glucose numbers while minimising the 'overreaction' and wild swings. As we often say here, it's more of a marathon than a sprint. :) The body needs time to 'learn' to be in a healthy blood glucose range again.

If your cat is going down as low as 50 it is possible that your vet is giving too much insulin too fast. As Bron says above, if numbers go too low too fast the body overreacts to protect itself. If your cat's blood glucose is going from 50 to 400 shortly after the wild swings in blood glucose level are very likely a lot of what might be making him feel somewhat unwell on his current insulin dose. Human diabetics who experience big BG swings like that also report that it makes them feel unwell. If your cat is going as low as 50 as measured on an animal glucometer then the dose is definitely too high. Sometimes vets give too high a starting dose and that is what can make the wide BG swings worse, as well as putting the cat at risk of a hypo.

Please can you let us know ASAP:

1. How much your cat weighs (approximately) and whether he is still underweight.

2. The type of insulin he is receiving.

3. The dose of insulin he is receiving.

4. Whether your kitty ever tested positive for ketones. (MAKE SURE THE VET TESTS FOR KETONES!!!)

If you can get this information to us then we can at the very least give you a bit of guidance on what your kitty's starting dose should be as the starting dose is typically based on the cat's weight, not their starting BG levels (assuming no ketones).

Sending lots of positive vibes to little Taro and a huge :bighug: to you for loving and fighting for him. Diabetes IS do-able. We'll do everything we can to help you both.

Mogs

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  9. Critter Mom

@Chris & China - I was just about to tag you to ask you to post China's pics! :)

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  10. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

Thank you for helping this poor kitty,
    Four days is not even close to the amount of time it takes to judge how a cat does on insulin. Not only that but to try out a few different insulins within four days is frankly crazy.
    It doesnt sound like your vet knows much about diabetes. Can you take kitty to another vet clinic for new opinions?

For example my cat was on Lantus insulin for 10 MONTHS before we decided it wasnt right for him and to change to PZI. We tried Vetsulin briefly which was awful with extreme highs and lows, and i suspect your vet might have Taro on that. Or similar.

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Mariana.Mnez

Mariana.Mnez New Member

Hello everyone, I have received today's report on Taro's health, he's still around 400. I asked him the about the doses and this is the information I received.
    Current weight: 5lbs
    He is getting .5 units of glargine insulin every 12 hours. They tried with regular insulin before and did not work for him. He did test positive for ketones, can you explain me if this is bad or what does it mean?

12. Capoo

Capoo Member

Hi,

If your cat is positive for ketones, it would be good that you change the title of your post , and that you add a "911" as a prefix (this will alert some more people to look at your post).

To do this:
    1. Edit your message
    2. At the right of the title of your message, you will see a drop list "thread tools"
    3. Choose "Edit Title"
    4. Change the prefix to "911".

Sophie

13. Capoo

Capoo Member

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I question such a large starting dose. I question whether your vet has enough experience with lantus and if my cat I would take him elsewhere. It is totally normal for a cat's glucose to bounce around. I've never dealt with ketones but the reason for that is usually not eating enough, not yet regulated, and infection. Did they check for infection? If you Pist where you live someone might be able to recommend a vet for you. I'm so sorry you are in this situation.

15. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Elise, I think she means 0.5 units, not 5 units.

Critter Mom likes this.
  16. Misterbeesmom

My understanding is he needs more time for the insulin to work. Glargine takes a couple weeks to really see what it can do. Its generally a good insulin, not harsh like vetsulin.
    He needs fluids to keep hydrated, and he needs to eat. Ketones isnt good, that much i know, but its not a death sentence. Others here know more than me. My cat has had trace ketones in his urine, and it was only temporary. Taro has been suffering from lack of care and is going to need support and time.

17. Capoo

Capoo Member

I understand that the starting dose is 0,5 IU, so not a large dose.
    But maybe there's a typo mistake here.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  18. Misterbeesmom

I dont think 1/2 unit lantus is a lot for 5 lbs. my cat started on 2 and he is 14 pounds. Are we on the same page?

19. Capoo

Capoo Member

Just a misunderstanding, I think

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  20. Squalliesmom

Mariana, what did the vet say about him testing positive for ketones? Did they tell you how high or suggest any treatment? If he has more than trace ketones he needs veterinary help, the sooner the better. You can buy ketone test strips at any pharmacy, and test his urine at home.

21. Capoo

Capoo Member

As far as I understand, Mariana's cat is at the vet for more than 5 days (since last Sunday).

Critter Mom likes this.
  22. Squalliesmom

Oh, okay. Is he still there, then? If so, I am hoping they are treating him for ketones!

Critter Mom likes this.
  23. Capoo

Capoo Member

That's the main problem : it seems that they don't know how to treat ketones!!!

24. Capoo

Capoo Member

Mariana,

When changing the prefix of your title to 911, you need to use the droplist so that a red box appears with 911.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  25. Squalliesmom

"Ketones in the urine, as detected by urine testing stix or a blood ketone testing meter[1], may indicate the beginning of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), a dangerous and often quickly fatal condition caused by low insulin levels combined with certain other systemic stresses. DKA can be fixed if caught quickly."
    http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Ketones

The basic recipe for developing DKA = an insufficient supply of insulin + inappetance + infection OR other systemic stresses.

You can read more information about ketones here:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...oacidosis-dka-and-blood-ketone-meters.135952/

Critter Mom likes this.
  26. Squalliesmom

What?!?! She needs to take him to another vet ASAP.

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. Capoo

Capoo Member

Yesssss!!!!!

But I don't know where she lives.

28. Red & Rover (GA)

Not a lot of information to go on. Is the cat on fluids at all? To be blunt, it's time to find a new vet. Pronto.

Critter Mom likes this.
  29. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Glargine, which is lantus was a good decision your vet made. But it takes a much longer time for good results, which your vet does not seem to know.

Ketones are not good, and usually a cat must remain under intensive care at your vet for a week or more. Since this cat was already so thin, and in such poor shape, it may take longer.

The bouncing from a low number like 50, to a very high number is expected. Your kitty is not used to having such a low blood glucose number, and so your kitty's liver is sending out a lot of emergency insulin, because the liver "thinks" that insulin is so low they (the cat's total system) might die. Therefore, the liver provides enough insulin to be sure that death from too little insulin will not occur.

The "bounces", which are what we call these abrupt changes from very low blood glucose numbers to very high blood glucose numbers are normal. But it is true that it is difficult for your kitty to endure them, when in such a weakened condition. That is why a longer vet stay is necessary. I agree that a better, or rather a vet more experienced in treating diabetes might be a good idea, but I don't know your economic abilities. Intensive in house vet care is pretty expensive.

On the other hand your kitty is improving by quite a lot.
    I suspect that your vet speaks truth when saying that there is nothing more she or he can do. However there is a great deal more that a vet who understands diabetes can do, including, perhaps, saving your cat's life.

30. Squalliesmom

Mariana, if the vets are not treating him for ketones/don't know how to treat for ketones, please take him to another vet, who does!
    Kathy is absolutely right!

Critter Mom likes this.
  31. Capoo

Capoo Member

32. tiffmaxee

Where do you live?

33. tiffmaxee

I thought I read 5 units. I need a spreadsheet.

Capoo likes this.
  34. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Mariana, please correct me if I'm wrong:
    • Taro is receiving 0.5 units of Lantus insulin every 12 hours.
    • He's been hospitalized for close to a week.
    • He's throwing ketones.
    • Taro weighs 5 pounds.
    Questions:
    • Is he on a dextrose drip (IV)?
    • Did they try giving tiny doses of Regular insulin every 4 - 6 hours (as needed)?
    • Are they feeding him by syringe?
    I'm suspect the Regular insulin "didn't work" because the dose may have been too high for such a little kitty. They may need to start with tiny, tiny doses of Regular insulin doses like this:

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG].

In other words, start with small doses of Regular insulin every 4 - 6 hours while on a glucose or dextrose drip to help bring numbers down.

Are they managing his electrolytes? Potassium and sodium should be monitored.

Here's a list of other vets in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico if you find it necessary to take Taro to another vet: https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=vet&find_loc=Guadalajara, Jalisco. Is that where you're located?

Here's more on ketones:
    Ketones, Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA), and Blood Ketone Meters

How can we help?
    If you have questions we'll try to help answer them.

35. Kathy and TiTi

I was wondering also. Maybe she's at work? Some jobs won't allow any posts during work hours.

36. Mariana.Mnez

Mariana.Mnez New Member

Hello everyone, thanks for the quick responses! We are located in Guadalajara, Mexico, he's currently at the hospital and has been hospitalized since saturday afternoon. What my vets have told me is that he is constantly being tested, he is on fluids and I have so far on my medical count being charged for 3 I.V. Fluids, along with 3 electrolyte Lyte 4 IDEXX, a glucose curve and 2 general urine EGO exams. I did find a veterinarian specialist on felines who I will be taking him to, so I need to collect all his studies and take him to her.

UPDATE: He has been treated by three different doctors, the first one was more optimistic and handled him on saturday, sunday and monday. He told me about keeping potassium and sodium levels, so I guess they are keeping that monitored. He is not being fed by syringe, he's been fed canned wet food and he's been eating well. I am at work indeed, but I have also been making phone calls trying to track down a different veterinary or hospital that can help me, that's how I came across this feline specialist I will be taking him to. I told her which hospital my cat was in and she was shocked to hear they asked me to put him down.

37. Jill & Alex (GA)

Wishing you and Taro the best of luck!
    Please update when you can. We'll be thinking of you!

Edited to add:
    There are several of us who are all too familiar with ketones and diabetic ketoacidosis. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Squalliesmom and Critter Mom like this.
  38. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

What you are doing for Taro is wonderful, Mariana. He/she deserves to have more time with you to spoil and love him/her. I hope the recovery goes well.

39. Jill & Alex (GA)

I'm so happy to hear he's eating well!!!

40. Capoo

Capoo Member

Keep us posted as soon as you can!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  41. Critter Mom

Me, too. This is huge!!!

Sending prayers and healing thoughts for little Taro.

Mogs

Squalliesmom likes this.
  42. Kathy and TiTi

We were also shocked. It is wonderful that you found this new doctor. Please let us know how Taro is doing? The first doctor sounds much better. Too bad they had to switch vets.

I am so pleased that you are taking him to a specialist. Taro sounded so much better from your last visit that it seemed odd that the vet suggested putting him down.

Hugs to you and Taro!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  43. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Eating is a very positive sign!! Sending prayers and healing energy for Taro and lots of hugs for you :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

44. Squalliesmom

Mariana, you are doing a great job seeing that Taro is properly taken care of! It's wonderful that you have found a specialist for him, and that he is eating well, on his own. Sending you prayers and healing vibes that Taro recovers quickly and you can start to get his blood glucose under control. Please DO keep us posted, and always feel free to ask questions! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  45. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Glad you found another vet. Diabetes is so treatable. Just a little tidbit. Lantus is a depot insulin and takes a few days to fill up. Your kitty hasn't had time for that to happen yet. Give it some time those numbers will come down.

Once you get Taro home come back here for answers to all your questions. Please realise treatment isn't a quick fix and doses go up and down. And it all takes time.

One of the best ways to help is get a human glucose meter and start home testing. It will keep Taro safe and let you know when you need to give less or more insulin.

Read the informational stickies posted throughout the site. Come back you will get help here.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  46. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi Mariana I'm glad you could find a vet that knows about felines, most only treat dogs (let alone diabetes), not an easy task in Mexico, believe me I know, I live in Mexico City, so congratulations,!

You should also look what kind of canned food he is having, we don't have many good options for diabetic kitties over here and most of the hills, proplan, royan cannin, etc ( we do not get the whole line this brands have) that most vets have over here are really high in carbs that may be good if your kittie is recovering from a surgery but not for diabetes.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  47. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Mariana, I am so glad you have found a vet who know how to treat diabetes and ketones. Sorry I haven't been around, but I just woke up.....morning here. You have been getting great help and advice.
    I am going to tag @Meya14 as she knows a lot about ketones too and she will be able to give you help too.
    You are doing a wonderful job saving Taro....he's a lucky boy to have you.
    It is great he is eating, that is a very good sign.
    :bighug::bighug:

48. Misterbeesmom

We're all thinking of you and taro!

49. Red & Rover (GA)

Mariana - you are doing a wonderful job looking after Taro's best interests. Please let us know what the new vet says. If you have any questions or want the various lab results interrupted, please do post. The people here are very knowledgeable and wonderful.

Critter Mom likes this.
  50. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Hi there, Glad you found a vet who has a more positive outlook. DKA is a very severe acute illness, but most cats who pull through and aren't any worse off after.

As far as the "insulin not working" part - When there are no fat stores left in a diabetic the liver has a very hard time compensating for insulin doses. This in humans is referred to as "brittle" diabetes. What happens is that the blood sugars go very high, then insulin is given, then you get dangerously low sugars, and back and forth. The solution is actually to increase the amount of carbs you are feeding, so that you can give larger insulin doses - this will allow her to gain weight faster and for her sugars to be less "brittle". Once she is more stable, slowly reduce the carbs in the food, and monitor weight closely. The only way she'll gain weight and be healthier is with larger insulin doses than what she's been getting and that's going to mean increasing intake.

DKA happens when the body either isn't getting enough calories (in starvation or chronic illness) or not enough insulin to allow for food to be used as energy and stored as fat. The body starts burning fat instead as an emergency fuel, but over a few days, the biproducts of this, ketones, build up in the blood and cause problems.

So, it's good that she's eating by herself and sounds like she is in good hands at the current vet. When she comes out, if it were my cat, I would aim for about 20% carb food - wet or dry (other's will disagree, I know) and increase insulin to match the intake until she gains some weight. Because she can't compensate when she goes low, you need the extra carbs from the diet to even out the blood sugar swings.

Hang in there, there are many people on this board who have DKA survivor kitties, including me. No need to PTS, just a lot of care for a bit.

51. Mariana.Mnez

Mariana.Mnez New Member

Hello everyone. Thank you so much for your kind messages! It's so great to see so many positive people on such a complicated time. Tonight's report of Taro's health went a lot better, I saw him active, trying to jump off the table, he was also as cuddly as yesterday and his nose had little food crusts, which means he's been eating well, typical Taro. The vet confirmed this, he is eating a good amount of wet food by himself, drinking water and using his littler box regularly. He was around 150 and 250 through the the day and only once did he spike up to 400, he did not go below 150. They are testing his glucose levels every 2 hours. The vet, which was not the same one as yesterday but a girl, told me his numbers are better, they did a ketone test and even though they are still present, the number has dropped considerably. She still told me to think about it because Taro will not be able to leave the hospital and be healthy just like that, I think she was just trying to make sure that I understand that he will need care for the rest of his life. The specialist could not take him in today but I'm feeling much better after tonight's report. I will still be moving him to the specialist tomorrow. Thank you again for all the information and support. It's been easier to understand what's going on by reading your replies.

52. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Great update on Taro...thanks Mariana
    It sounds as if he is doing really well.

53. Kathy and TiTi

You are doing so well.
    First, you did not blindly take the recommendation to kill your Taro. You felt it was wrong. Given his improvement, you decided euthanasia was a wrong idea, and you were right.
    Then, with only our strong recommendations, and reasons we gave for them, you immediately researched your area and found the appropriate vet.
    Next you made arrangements to transfer Taro, and get him the care he deserves.
    Finally, you have apparently, admirably handled the vets at Taro's present clinic knowing that you had to rely on them, until you could transfer Taro.
    I am impressed. I am also tremendously relieved for you and Taro:cat:.

Good fortune tomorrow, and hugs for tonight. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    If you need us, we are here, and by now we are involved, and will be pleased to help you on this journey.

54. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I just want you to know that lot's of prayers are going up for you and Taro. You have been so wise and strong while dealing with this like a pro. When you pick up Taro to take him to the new vet, take something that has your scent on it, like an unwashed shirt. If he has a favorate toy, bring that too. Since he might at the vets for a while, you want him to feel at ease. I hope you and Taro have a good night.

55. Critter Mom

So pleased to read Taro's positive report, especially that the ketones are reducing. (Anti-jinx!) Also that you've found a better, much more caring vet.

Jill and Meya are highly knowledgeable about all things ketones and have given you great information to work with, including the food that's right for Taro at the moment. You need to deal with the ketones first and help him to regain some weight.

Sending more prayers and healing thoughts for Taro and some :bighug::bighug::bighug: for you, Mariana.

Mogs

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Squalliesmom likes this.
  56. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Just chiming in to say well done and give you a big hug, Mariana, for everything you're doing for dear little Taro. You're doing an amazing job!
    Please keep coming here with any questions, big or small. We all care very very much about you both.

Diana

Misterbeesmom and Critter Mom like this.
  57. Tuxedo Mom

So good to see that Taro is showing more signs of improvement. Even if the glucose numbers are still high, they are getting into a workable range.

Diabetes DOES require treatment at home, but it is not that complicated once you get used to the routine and with regular home testing and adjusting doses as needed Taro can have a good quality of life. There are kitties on this forum that have had very rough starts and have been hospitalized with DKA that are doing very well. You would need to be more vigilante about testing for ketones at home, because of the DKA episode, but it is all doable. And you will have the support of all the wonderful people on this site that can be there with you as you go through this journey.

I have a kitty with diabetes and also another health issue that makes treatment more difficult. Almost 2 years ago I considered having him put down, since he was so sick and I didn't want him to suffer. After changing vets and finding this wonderful site, I continued treating him and he is still with me and doing just fine right now. With a little work and a lot of love and support you too can give Taro more good quality of life,

Sending more healing energy for Taro and lots of hugs for you. :bighug: :bighug:

Kris & Teasel and Critter Mom like this.
  58. Misterbeesmom

wow well that is night and day!!! so thrilled to hear he is doing much much better! see why we all got really upset here when the other vet suggested having taro put to sleep? well done, you, for not listening to such awful advice and being a guardian angel to this very lucky kitty.

well done and many back pats, you!

Critter Mom and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  59. Capoo

Capoo Member

60. Mariana.Mnez

Mariana.Mnez New Member

Good afternoon, this morning the report was the same as yesterday, he is still having ups and downs, so there is no significant changes, however, the vets once more confirmed me that there is nothing else to do, and that I can take him home because what they are doing for him can be done at home. This lets me know that they are running out of ideas. I will be picking him up and driving him straight to the specialist, who has already made time to receive us today. I still have a lot of hope, mostly because of how I've seen him change his mood in the past days, and because I have been learning a lot from you guys about the topic! I will have a new update around 6pm CT and I will let you know what the specialist tells me. I will also be retrieving all information, studies and medical stuff from the current vets to give it to the new specialist, hoping this will help her get acquainted with his case a little faster. Thanks again! You've made a great difference in mine and Taro's lives already :)

61. Misterbeesmom

yay Team Taro!!!!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  62. Tuxedo Mom

The is great that you are getting copies of all the tests and information from the current vet. It will certainly be very valuable information for the specialist.

Lots of prayers that everything goes well at the specialist. :bighug: :bighug:

63. Critter Mom

Hi Mariana,

I've not had to treat for ketones myself but I have read about them a lot here. We have seen cats sent home too soon and I am worried about that happening if Taro doesn't get the right tests done again today at Taro's new veterinary specialist.

My understanding is that a cat throwing ketones needs continuous veterinary treatment in a hospital setting until the ketones have been cleared and it is clear of DKA - IV glucose, specialised insulin treatment and intensive monitoring of electrolytes, BG, ketone levels, etc. - not the sort of stuff one can do at home (see Jill's earlier post).

When you get Taro to the specialist please make sure the specialist checks ketone and DKA status straight away. If ketones are still present to the very best of my knowledge the specialist will need to admit Taro to continue intensive ketone treatment.

I am tagging @Jill & Alex (GA) and @Meya14 to ask them to check in on you both. Please can you post updates as soon as possible, especially about Taro's ketone/DKA status. If ketones are still present, I'm fairly certain based on what I've learned here that he needs to be kept in by the new specialist but Jill and Meya should be able to give you better information as they have great experience and knowledge in this area.

Sending more prayers and healing thoughts for little Taro.

:bighug:

Mogs

Squalliesmom likes this.
  64. Olive & Paula

Great news on many fronts. Taro is eating, you are changing vets. Still can't believe vet is still telling you to PTS. Thank goodness you didn't. Regarding the ups and downs, well that's diabetes. Glucose will change hourly depending on food, activity, stress you name it, it will change.

Wish you the best of luck at New practice. Keep us posted. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

65. Squalliesmom

I am so glad Taro is going to the specialist today! I don't think those current vets have any idea what they are doing. :mad: You are a great kitty Mom for not losing hope and hanging in there with Taro! I hope the specialist will have some better news for you. Sending prayers and healing thoughts to both of you! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

66. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

The risk of taking home a cat with ketones centers on three things really: 1. Ketones+hyperglycemia can cause dehydration rapidly which can be severe. 2. Ketones can cause nausea and anorexia which will prevent recovery and elimination of the ketones. 3. The conditions that caused the DKA in the first place may not be resolved (ie. improper insulin dosing, starvation or anorexia, infection, chronic illness.)

All these things can cause a kitty to slide right back into a critical state. If a cat is eating very well, well hydrated, not ill, and electrolyte labs are good I feel that homecare is appropriate if ketones are low or trace. Home management consists of testing blood sugar at least 3 times a day, checking ketone level at least once a day preferably twice, adjusting insulin as needed, and providing extra calories. If ketones levels begin to rise, or appetite begins to slide, or cat appears weak/sick then it's better to go back to the vet.

Since your kitty is very small and probably underweight, it's important that you ensure she is eating enough when she comes home. A cat her size and diabetic probably needs about 150-180 calories to maintain. I would aim for 200 to promote weight gain. This is about one to one-and-a-half 5.5oz can of wet food a day depending on the brand. Most foods list calorie counts on the packaging.

If you aren't testing at home, now is a great time to get a crash course from the vet. After DKA, and because you have a "brittle" diabetic, you want to aim your blood sugars higher than what most people here consider normal. Try to keep blood sugars between 150-200. If she starts to drop under 150, add extra food instead of reducing insulin (she needs the insulin to gain weight). If you have a hard time keeping all her sugars above 150 with wet food, try adding some dry food. If she starts to be consistently over 200, you will need to increase insulin (don't reduce food). Also, allow her to eat as much as she wants, don't restrict food. People here can help you with insulin dose changes if you are able to keep track of the blood sugars.

You may want to ask your vet regarding her electrolyte labs, and make sure they are normal. Potassium can go dangerously low with ketones, and you might need a supplement. Also, you may want to ask if you can do subQ fluids at home for a little bit to continue to clear out the ketones. They should be able to teach you and provide the amount to give and all the supplies.

67. Critter Mom

68. Critter Mom

Question:

Are those reference numbers for home tests done with a human glucometer, Meya?

Mogs

69. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Yes, human glucometer.

Critter Mom likes this.
  70. Capoo

Capoo Member

Hi @Mariana.Mnez ,

What did the specialist tell you?

71. Mariana.Mnez

Mariana.Mnez New Member

Hi everyone, yesterday after moving Taro to the new vet, she said the numbers he had been having and his general health file are still very treatable and explained to me what you initially said about the bounces being pretty normal, but she did confirm that he needed to be hospitalized rather than go home so soon, so he is currently staying at the clinic. Today's report is good, he did have some up and downs, but the highest number was 400 and that's when the insuline had worn off. At night he did go low, at 40, only once and then remained between 150 and 200. She says he had a good night, he is still eating very well and just had a nice breakfast about an hour ago. Yesterday she showed me how to get the blood sample from his ear to test, and when we tested he was over 600, but she says it could be partly because of the stress he may have suffered during the car drive to the new vet (it was a long drive, lots of traffic!) Hopefully Taro's situation will start getting better and better, though it seems it was already getting better at the old vet, so that makes me happy. This specialist is very nice, plays them music, has feliway on the clinic and treats them with a lot of love. I hope Taro can see that and feel better as well. Thank you for the support!

72. Misterbeesmom

Taro's lucky day was when he met you! :cat: You're a lifesaver!:bighug: So pleased to hear all this good news!

73. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

I need a LOVE button rather than just a LIKE button!

Taro is soooo lucky to have you. Continued thoughts and prayers coming your way! :bighug:

Sandi&Whisper

Critter Mom and Capoo like this.
  74. Squalliesmom

That's wonderful news! Taro is indeed lucky to have you in his corner, fighting for him. Prayers for you both! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

75. Olive & Paula

Glad to hear Taro is stable, you learned how to poke the ear and is eating. He will be home soon. Keep us posted.

76. Mariana.Mnez

Mariana.Mnez New Member

Hello everyone, I have a new update but also a few questions. Taro has been doing great, he seriously looks like a different kitty, he's very active, playing around, eating really really well and is not testing positive for ketones anymore. He is scheduled to come home with me tomorrow, however the new vet changed his food to normal wet food in order to get him to gain weight, but his new dosage is 3.5 units of insuline. I feel a little weird going from .5 units to 3.5, he is stable and his levels have not dropped drastically anymore, but would you consider this is okay?

Critter Mom and Misterbeesmom like this.
  77. Kris & Teasel

Has his insulin dose been increased up to 3.5 units in hospital? Are they doing frequent blood glucose tests at this dose? Are you planning to do BG testing at home? I would certainly be unwilling to go from 0.5 units to 3.5 units in one jump!

78. Tuxedo Mom

So glad to hear that Taro is doing so well and will be coming home tomorrow.

I would get all information on the types and doses of insulin that were used for Taro during the whole stay at the vets. Also a detailed list of all glucose readings that were taken at the vets. If you are not already home testing this would be a very important step to take.

It is hard to say whether the dose they are recommending is appropriate for Taro, but if you can get that information and post back you can get some feedback from our members.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Critter Mom and Kathy and TiTi like this.
  79. Kathy and TiTi

I'm with Tuxedo Kitty on this one. Has Taro stabilized at that dose? If so, then you see him healthy and happy at that dose now. No?

Taro is not going from .5 to 3.5 in a normal way at all. There was, as I understand, a DKA, a near death experience, and all kinds of other Hell in between. Now you have a healthy and stabilized kitty. Now you have a competent doctor. If I were in your shoes, I would take time to evaluate any decision about changing the advised dose. Correct me if I am misunderstanding what you have written, but what this doctor has done is save Taro, with, as I understand, precisely the dose you are unsure about?

So go with Tux Kitty's advice, and get ready to do a lot of home testing, no matter what dose you give Taro.

When I first joined, I came in with my vet's recommended dose, and we didn't change it, until we had some good solid data to support a change. We got this data from my home testing.

Congratulations on getting Taro:cat: home. You've done a super job.:woot::woot:

80. Critter Mom

@Mariana.Mnez -

I am beyond delighted to hear the great update about Taro! I'm also delighted that you now seem to have found a great vet to help you care for him.

Mogs

81. Misterbeesmom

So glad to hear happy news for taro!

That is quite a large jump of insulin. I dont know what to tell you. This new vet sounds very good but why such a big increase i dont understand. Have you questioned her on why that amount of insulin suddenly? If he is stable, especially.

82. Critter Mom

[Emphasis mine]

If it were my cat I would be OK with this. Indeed, your specialist's treatment plan for Taro is completely in line with Meya's earlier contributions to this thread. (Meya is extremely knowledgeable about ketones and DKA.)

I am on the same page as Kathy, Mariana. From reading many of Meya's contributions to the forum my understanding of the path to a solid recovery from DKA is to make sure the kitty gets amounts of food and insulin which are specific to the needs of a cat recovering from DKA and especially those needing to gain a significant amount of weight as part of their recovery. All efforts need to be made to keep the cat as stable as possible during convalescence in order to prevent relapses.

It sounds like you have now got a very good vet for Taro. Her treatment plan appears to be working well and Taro is doing much, much better on it. If I were in this situation I would follow the specialist's treatment plan and monitor BG and ketones every day at home. I'd also keep a record of the type and amount of food he is eating every day and weigh him regularly. (A reasonably priced digital baby scales is ideal for home weight monitoring.) The data you gather will be a great aid to you and to Taro's specialist when assessing his progress and ongoing treatment needs.

If there is anything you want to learn more about please keep asking questions here and we'll do our best to help you.

Sending lots of fusses for little Taro and a huge :bighug: to you, Mariana, for loving him so much and caring for him so well.

Mogs

83. Critter Mom

Hi Jen,

If you look back at Meya's earlier posts in this thread she explains how DKA kitties have very specific insulin and food needs as part of their treatment and recovery. (I recommend always studying Meya's posts; you can learn a tremendous amount about treatment/prevention of ketosis and DKA from her.)

Mogs

Misterbeesmom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  84. Mariana.Mnez

Mariana.Mnez New Member

Hello everyone, I have a few updates on this, but I also have some concerns! Taro is doing great, he is putting weight and is actually almost 7 pounds now! (6.83lbs) He is eating great, levels are pretty decent, not too high, not too low. However, it's my turn now to shoot him with insulin and im having a hard time, as some of it has been spilling, this has not affected the results much, but it's obviously making us check his levels more frequent than we were, do you have any advice on it? Also, when taking tle blood sample for the glucometer, my vet told me it's faster to go through, but I saw on some videos that it's not necessary to really go through his ear to get the sample? Any advice on that? As you can see he is doing great, its me that is having some trouble getting used to giving shots and taking tests!

85. Kris & Teasel

Hi Mariana,

I'm so glad that Taro is doing well! I'm not sure I understand what you mean by spilling insulin. Do you mean that sometimes it doesn't all go into Taro? There are good videos on YouTube showing how to grab fur and skin, lift it up tight and then shoot into the front of the little "tent" that forms. Is Taro cooperative when you give his insulin? You can train him using treats to enjoy going to a certain spot without injecting him. Repeat this and make it enjoyable for him and eventually you should be able to do the injection more easily. Some cats are more sensitive to the needle than others and their reaction can make the owner nervous.

No, you don't have to go through the ear to get blood but it's much easier if the ear is warm. We recommend making an "ear warmer" by putting a little rice in the toe of a sock, tying a knot in the sock and then heating it in the microwave until it's very warm (but not too hot). Put the hot sock over Taro's ear to warm it and there will be better blood flow.

I guarantee that with time and practice all this will be easier for you.

Critter Mom likes this.
  86. Mariana.Mnez

Mariana.Mnez New Member

Good morning. Today was Taro's second night at home and first night with a new food. We changed his food under the specialists instructions because he was eating Diamond normal food and the calories were too high, he was taking 9units every 9 hours. Since yesterday after the switch (hills w/d dry food) he took 3units, at 4:00am, 5 hours after his take he was on 189, this morning after 11 hours he is on 356, as far as I know, at the end of the twelve hours it's expected to be higher. I a,so posted a question on a different thread, about schedules, at this point I'm a little stressed out about Monday, because Taro's schedule is so spaced out, I cannot manage it at work, and I don't have anyone to help me out at home. Now that the shot is every 12 hours instead of 9, it's a bit easier but still, shot is at 11am and 11pm, food is 2 hours after every shot at 1am and 1pm, and testing is before the shots and 6 hours after 5pm and 5am, but I work 9 to 6. I was reading here that some people test, feed and shot around the same time. Would eating at the same time of his shot affect his numbers? Also, if I wanted to feed him two times instead of three (2/3 of a cup) would that affect his numbers randomly? He is negative for ketones but we are still trying to get him to put on some weight. And what are the ideal numbers to have throughout and at the end of the 12 hours of the shot? He is not on Lantus anymore, he is in Glargine but of a generic brand, seems to have worked better for him at the specialist.

87. Capoo

Capoo Member

Hi Mariana,

Could you please tell us a little bit more about Diamond normal food? Is it a dry or a wet food? What is the carbohydrate content of this food?
    I know that it's a tricky question, but have you already chosen between the Start Low Go Slow and the Tight Regulation methods, supposing that the same regulation methods apply to your generic Glargine (generic name of Lantus)?

Both methods are described here:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/lantus-levemir-start-low-go-slow-method-slgs.129446/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/lantus-levemir-tight-regulation-protocol-tr.1581/

The first method, SLGS, is adapted to your schedule, I think, and in that case, you can continue to feed with dry food.
    The second method, TR, is a little bit more difficult to apply with your schedule, but not impossible(http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ion-possible-with-a-full-time-job-yes.129378/), but in that case, you need to switch your cat to a low carbohydrate wet wood, with less than 10% of the metabolized energy brought by CHO.

Don't be afraid too much, I have personally succeeded in putting my cat into remission, having a full time job, living alone, and having a lot of extra activities.
    It can be quite frightening at the beginning, but knowing your motivation, I'm sure that you will succeed in dealing with all that stuff!!!!

88. Critter Mom

@Mariana.Mnez -

Can you tell us EXACTLY what instructions the specialist gave you about when to give insulin, what dose to give plus when and how much to feed Taro? (I know from your post on another thread that he's on Hill's w/d dry food at the moment and it's important that you DO NOT change his food right now.)

We need this information from you because of Taro's special circumstances (post-DKA, very underweight, brittle diabetic) and I want to make sure that both you and we understand fully what you've been told to do so that any suggestions you receive here will be safe and appropriate for Taro's current special needs.

Please post the information on this thread so members can better follow what's happening.

Mogs

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  89. Critter Mom

90. Capoo

Capoo Member

o_O
    Oupssss, I have missed some information.

But there is still something that I don't understand : Taro's food has been changed because it contained too much calories.
    Taro is underweight, needs to regain weight, but has been transitioned to a prescription food to loose weight and avoid obesity ? o_O

If somebody could explain me the above, that would be very kind, for my own culture...

91. Capoo

Capoo Member

I understand clearly why Taro is needing currently a high carb diet, but not why he needs a low fat and high fiber diet...

92. Critter Mom

At the moment the most important thing is to keep Taro stable and get enough insulin into him. The w/d is the higher in carbs of the Hill's diabetic foods. The specialist may have chosen it to provide support for Taro to be able to receive the amount of insulin he needs at the moment to make a strong recovery form DKA and gain weight. Because he's showing signs of being a 'brittle' diabetic the standard recommendations for uncomplicated cases don't apply here. Pure speculation here but perhaps the lower fat content may be a little easier on Taro's digestive system while he's recovering?

Mogs

93. Mariana.Mnez

Mariana.Mnez New Member

Taro was on a diet of Diamond normal food until yesterday morning, while on this food, he was takin 9units every 9 hours, the new food w/d Hills was changed under the instructions of the specialist. He is taking 3.5 units every 12 hours. We started with 3 units, raised it to 3.5 for today's 11am shot. I just took his numbers and he is in 220, so I'm guessing that dose isn't working well? I'm not sure just yet which are the ideal numbers to get on the reading.

Current instructions are:
    3.5 units of insulin every 12 hours
    Feeding 3 times a day 1/4cup of food each time (65grm in total), 2 hours after the shots and in between during the day.
    Testing prior the shots and 5 hours after.

Also, I have to test him 4 times a day, will this be bad for his ears? Any tips on that?

94. Kris & Teasel

95. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

The hills dry is still a fairly high carb food, so for now that is fine for him to be on. I'm not sure the thought process behind your vet wanting you to switch, but it doesn't really matter. Some vets are -AFRAID- of high doses of insulin. Unfortunately, it prevents some cats from being regulated. The body needs the amount it needs, and each cat will have different insulin requirements. Vets will sometimes recommend reducing calories or withholding food, and if the cat is obese this may be ok. With an underweight cat, it is a poor idea to reduce food or calories in order to control blood sugar. There is nothing inherently dangerous about higher doses of insulin if the cat requires it, especially if underweight.

I would try to hold food consistant and stop making changes to the food situation for at least a month. Times aren't as important as consistency. Adjust the insulin per one of the protocols we use on the site to provide guidance. Your sugars will be all over the place for a while, that is normal. Look at weight gain, appetite, and mood as your indicators. Monitor the sugars, but you should really only be concerned if he goes either low, or if for an extended period (2+ days) goes really high.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  96. Mariana.Mnez

Mariana.Mnez New Member

Hello everyone, I managed get a night shift at work so that I can keep an eye on Taro during the day. He's doing good, he's eating well, using his litterbox, loves to hang out with me in bed and watch TV. We raised the dose to 4units this morning as we have not managed to get numbers within 100 - 250, vet says the ideal number at the end of the 12 hours is under or at 250. So today, at 4 units, after 6 hours he was in 220, but at the end of the 12 hours he was in 459! This is the highest he's been since he's been back with me. Is this normal while we are trying to get the right dose? Is this bad? I also noticed, not sure if it's related, that he had one eye a little bit more closed than the other, but since I have a smaller cat that likes to play with him, maybe he poked his eye or something. I have been managing the tests and the shots well enough, but this kind of results scare me a bit.

97. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

It's pretty normal to be up and down a little bit at first while finding the right dose, also since lantus lasts a long time in the system, the full effect of the dose change won't be seen for 2-3 days. Also, are you testing for ketones at home? If you can keep track of his weights too, that can help you assess if the insulin is working well.

98. Critter Mom

Get that checked out with the vet as soon as possible, Mariana. Always better to be safe. Ask the vet to check intraocular pressure and do a retina exam as part of the check-up.

Very glad to hear that Taro is eating well and that the two of you are enjoying snuggle time.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.