We’re going back up :( Frosty amps 402, +2 340, +4 178 +6 104 +8 177

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ana & Frosty (GA), Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

After we got back from vacation, Frosty’s sugars seem to be back up. When we initially got home, they were fine, but as soon as I started to feed him and give him insulin myself, it seems they sky rocketed. I increased his dose this morning because I got tiredness of looking at pre shot numbers in the 400s. As you can see, the random spot checks throughout the last few nights weren’t much better.

I’m disappointed and also feeling guilty that he’s not improving because he was doing so well. It makes me feel like I can’t go away because of him. I am about to officially adopt him instead of fostering, but it sucks that it doesn’t look like he will be coming off insulin any time soon. :(

I was also thinking of increasing the dose to 1 unit right away because of the high numbers. Thoughts?

Ana

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Since you are following SLGS, you can only increase once a week after you get a curve and see what's happening on that dose (based on how low it takes him, not the preshot numbers), so I would definitely hold off on going to 1 unit. Even with TR, you'd have to wait at least 6 cycles.

You won't get the whole picture just looking at preshot numbers. You had a red preshot today, yet the middle is filled with nice blues, and one low blue. The high numbers are likely bounces from lower numbers. Last night's cycle, for instance, could have had some low numbers that you missed if it played out anything like today's cycle. Getting some later spot checks overnight will help give you a better indication of what's going on if you can't get them in the days. Even if you get one a night, at different times over several nights, it will fill in a lot of blanks. Look at your 1/27 am cycle, started with a pink, ended with a yellow. Had you not done a curve that day, you may have assumed nothing much was happening in there, but there were greens.

Read the stickies at the top and learn the concepts of onset, nadir, duration, overlap and carryover. It will help you tremendously to help Frosty if you understand them.

Frosty is still very new to insulin, don't get discouraged about OTJ, there is a lot of encouraging things in the SS already and it's way too soon to count him out. :bighug:

3. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

I would definitely not increase to 1ui now. I know it's disappointing to see high numbers, but as Stacy points out, there are a lot of "blanks" in your SS where we don't really know what is going on. I think I would even have stuck to 0.5 and done a curve on that dose today to make sure those reds are not bounces (in that case maybe what you'd be looking at would be a reduction rather than a raise).

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If using SLGS for dosing, you need to either do a curve, or enough random spot checks to know how low a dose is taking a cat, before you increase. I do not see that data for the 0.5 units dose. I think the increase to 0.75 units may have been premature. What dose was he one while you were away? It's also not unusual for a cat to get glucose toxicity if they are on a lower dose for a while - such as that given by a petsitter. No worries, he will get back on track.

5. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess you’re right. We’re back up to 450 at +12 so we are going back to 0.5 units. He was at 0.5 while we were away because we switched from ReliOn to Ulticare VetRx syringes, and their 0.5 was closer to the 0.25 on the ReliOn (Walmart told me they discontinued the ReliOn syringes I was using. Not sure if this is true or not... they were given to me by a former member here whose cat is now off insulin).
    I guess I’ll try to do more random checks during the week, but I work full time so I can’t stay up late. That has been my challenge.

Thanks.
    Ana

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Even a +2 or +3 or whatever time you go to bed, is a good hint about what is happening at night.

7. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's tough to get tests in when you're working. Grab what you can. What I also did was keep the meter with the strip half-inserted and everything handy on the bedside table, as Quintus sleeps with me. If I woke up in the middle of the night to pee (doesn't happen often, but sometimes!) then I could grab a middle-of-the-night test before going back to sleep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.