What this num mean? 01/25 Cleo AMPS=345 +2=409 +4=402 +6=361 +8=313 +10=302 PMPS=300 +2=365 +5=435

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Delia, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delia

Delia Member

Yesterday

Good Morning and good Sunday!
    Today I've increased dose to 1.75u, but really don't understand what is going on with Cleo's blood sugar. She's always high and this dose is superior to the dose that brought her under 50. Now she's also eating 3% carbs food instead of only 7%. Is she worsening instead of get better? What am I doing wrong?
    However she seems to be ok, playful, purry... I know about NDW, but why does a dose that cause her to go under 50 now is not enough?
    What else should I do?

2. Delia

Delia Member

What does it means? +5 is 435? I'm really worried now! Tomorrow morning I have to go to work and I don't know where this new dose will bring my little Cleo. Is this NDW? Now I'm going to sleep, but I can get up to test if needed.
    Please, see Cleo's ss and tell me what do you think about this strange numbers. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  3. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

So you just increased her dose today? If so, you should hold for a few days to see what happens. My Simon sometimes goes very high when I increase and then comes down, usually after a day. I noticed that you wrote that she had a little stomach upset. You can give 1/4 tablet of regular (not maximum strength) Pepcid to see if that will help with tummy issues, especially if the vomiting happens more frequently. I am not a dosing expert, but in my opinion, you need to hold this new dose. Cleo may be much lower in the morning.

FYI: I also had a cat named Cleo -- a little calico. She was Simon's best friend and sister.

4. Delia

Delia Member

Thank you Georgia. Yes, I increased her dose today. Do you think it is normal that values become higher at +5 when I expected them to lower?

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Blood glucose is affected by numerous factors. Changing 1 thing we know, does not mean everything else stayed the same. You need to have patience, grasshopper!

6. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Insulin needs change what a certain dose did last month may not be the same next month, or even next week. Don't panic just stick with the protocol and be a little patient - which I know is hard when it concerns our fur babies but that is what you must do. I hope you are having a good sleep with beautiful dreams and not worrying to much.

7. Delia

Delia Member

Thanks for your help, I will try to be patient. I'm so anxious because three months ago Cleo was about to leave me. Now she is much better, but I'm always afraid that she goes worst.
    I will test in half an hour and go to bed. Here is quite late now, it is almost 1.00 am

8. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Simon is the king of wonky numbers, especially during the middle of the day. It is very frustrating and very hard to be patient. I am always nervous when numbers change around a lot, so you are in good company. Patience pants are hard to wear!

9. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

There are 3 possibilities for the high numbers today.

1. New Dose Wonkiness
    2. Bouncing from some hidden lower numbers, perhaps during the day on 1/23
    3. Or she needs more insulin still
    4. She got into some high carb food like dry crunchies

I'd guess #1 or #2. If you want to reread what those 2 are about, click here.

I think you'll have an answer within 24 hrs as to which one of those it is. Hang in there - you just keep on plugging away methodically with the dose.

If, however, you see signs of illness then it could be something else. Pancreatitis is always a possibility with diabetic cats. Take a look at that link and see if it describes what you're seeing in Cleo. If the little bit of vomit today didn't seem like anything important and otherwise she seems fine, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it repeats or seems like she feels yucky, then you might need to check with the vet and see if she should be tested for pancreatitis or looked at for something else.

It's so hard to have our little ones not doing well - i hope this is just NDW or bouncing and that she's back in good numbers soon. In the meantime, just a reminder to check for ketones daily - i think you already are, but thought i'd mention it. It's good to put all that info in the ss comments.

As far as tomorrow goes, if it's bouncing or NDW, I'd think she might come down by morning. If you have to leave her for work in the morning and aren't sure what's up - make sure you leave her plenty of low carb canned food in case she needs it. Better to have her overeat than need it and not have any there.

There's no chance she could've gotten into dry food, is there? or snuck a cookie or bread or something nice and carby?

10. Delia

Delia Member

Julie, I'm pretty sure she didn't eat any cookie or bread. I tested 10 minutes ago and she was over 400. She doesn't seem to be sick .

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Looks like it could definitely be NDW to me. Neko often gets really uncharacteristic highs when I raise her dose.

One thing I've learned over time is not to worry about the size of the dose. The numbers that matter are the blood glucose values. Kitties need change. Insulin is a hormone not a drug, so there are a lot of factors determining what they need. Just follow the protocol and you'll find good numbers again.

12. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

glad to hear it's not that she's sick - that's good. let's see how she is when you get to amps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.