? Yemala 12/21 ADVICE PLS OTJ trial day 2; AMBG 136; +3 103; +4 102; +6 100; PMBG 103; +2 108;+5 87

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Hroswitha, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Hroswitha

Hroswitha Well-Known Member

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Day 2! :D:D

3. Hroswitha

We may have been premature. The depot drained, she's up to 136.

Holding on the OTJ trial for now, but may have to cash it at PMBG.

Thoughts?

4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Happy day 2!!

5. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

Happy Day 2!:D:D

Hoping the celebration can continue.
    If that PMBG is up, I'd probably give her her drop of insulin.
    I really hope she brings it back down, though:bighug:

Let's see what the experts have to say.

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Here are the OTj trial instructions. With the blue, you'd test again 3 hours later and see if you get green. I wouldn't give up yet. Some cats give some blue numbers during their trial.

Instructions for starting the OTJ trial
    Start the trial on the next green pre shot.
    If he/she is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time; just feed small meals and go about your day. If he/she is blue at your normal "PS", feed a small meal and test again after about 3 or 4 hours. If his/her number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working!
    Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed. He/she may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.
    After 14 days of no insulin, we have a party!!
    Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens; we just give him/her the support needed. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on.
    Good luck with the trial!!!
    Once he/she is through the trial successfully, you enter a new phase. Your cat is still diabetic but has now become diet-controlled. Continue feeding low carb food in the manner successful for your kitty. If you decide to change his/her feeding schedule, let your meter be your guide to the best times to feed. Avoid medications with sugar in them and steroid medications unless they are medically essential. Continue testing blood glucose weekly for the first month and then monthly forever. It's a good idea to weigh him/her monthly. Weight should remain stable. If he/she seems "off" or sick, or is showing signs of diabetes (excessive drinking, eating, urinating, weight loss), test his/her blood glucose right away. Keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy; dental issues can bring a cat out of remission. If you see rising blood glucose numbers, it's time for a visit to the vet!

Rosie & Bailey likes this.
  7. Hroswitha

Okay, got all that. My son is at home today, and I'll pressure him to test her when she would be around +3 or 4. Her tendency has been to have slightly higher PS numbers, only to drop mid-cycle. I hope she holds onto that.

8. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

Come on Mala! Sending green vines! :bighug::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:bighug:

9. Hroswitha

At +3, she's down to 103. So yes - pancreas working.

10. Hroswitha

102 at +4.

11. Hroswitha

Really slow and gradual decline over the morning. She's not in the greens, but she's not spiking, either.

12. Hroswitha

Mala is getting her meal now. She had 103 for her PMBG. I gave her a little less food than usual, and will feed her later in the cycle as usual. She won't be hungry, I promise, but we're trying to keep the numbers down.

Any thoughts on how this is going so far? No greens in several cycles.

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

She was green last night, so that's just one cycle of all blue. Let's see what she does tonight.

14. Hroswitha

+5 is 87. Whoot?

carfurby (GA) and Rosie & Bailey like this.