? Yum AMPS 572 +5 474 Lost regulation: retest for UTI or not?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MJW, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Yum has lost regulation. I am away for Thanksgiving. I boarded her at the vet yesterday (Tuesday).
    Last Tuesday her blood work showed high monocytes (we were mainly interested in her phosphorus and hematocrit).
    On Friday, because I asked about the monocytes, they checked her urine. They decided she had a UTI, based on the presence of blood and bacteria.
    They gave her a shot of Convenia.
    Her BG continued to rise, 300's on Saturday, 400's on Sunday, then on Monday she was in the 200's all day.
    These are AT2 numbers.
    I decided to take my trip.
    Of course, just before I left for the airport, her AMPS on Tuesday rose to 513. The vet tech told me this morning at AMPS she was at 572 and at +5 to 6 hours (her usual nadir) she was 474.

QUESTION: should I have them retest her urine on Friday for ongoing infection? Or should I look at this as just the result of a now cured infection? Does the diabetes go crazy on its own once it has been set off by infection? Or is it still being driven by infection? Maybe there is no answer but I thought I would ask.

Since her nadir was so high, and since she had gone 3 days at 1.5, I told them to increase her inulin to 2 units.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, infection can raise the BG numbers. Did they do a culture and sensitivity on the urine to identify the bacteria so they could prescribe the correct antibiotic?

As for things that might contribute to her high numbers - first, you only held the 1.0 unit dose for 5 cycles before increasing. That's too fast, especially since you were seeing blues. I would have held at least 8 cycles, especially since you were seeing low blues. I am a little concerned there is an increased dose yet no night time testing at the clinic. She could be bouncing from whatever she's doing overnight. High numbers over a period of time (for Neko 5 days), can lead to glucose toxicity.

MJW likes this.
  3. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Just a no win situation. I had forgotten about glucose toxicity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.