Zeke 3/20 - Need shooting advice for shot in just over an hour.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Meridith and Zeke, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meridith and Zeke

Meridith and Zeke Well-Known Member

Prior condo

We have spent most the day steering Zeke today. Yesterday I raised him just a little since I was already noticing that the homemade food did seem to be a little higher carb then the friskies we were switching back to and since I new today would be all friskies, felt safer with a small increase to try to budge his numbers then a full .25u increase. He only got 2 shots of the raised dose and I put him back to the 2.75 after steering most the am cycle today. We have been mostly steering the pm cycle since +6 today and we haven't given him anything since about +7.5. But what we did give him to make keeping him up higher easier was a few temptation treats. After all the pokes he got this morning, I wanted to be able to not have to poke him as frequently tonight.

I am really not sure if we should just do a BCS tonight, or go ahead and do the dose since he is sitting in the 50's. If we haven't had to steer so much today I would probably be able to figure this out easier but right now really not sure.

@Kris & Teasel

2. Meridith and Zeke

+11 89

Either he is starting to finally rise or we might be starting a bounce. But at least he is finally raising some.

So at this point, safe to shoot normal? Only an hour til shot now.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd test again right at shot time and see where he's at then.....if he's still climbing without having any food since +7.5, that's a pretty good indication that the last shot is truly wearing off

Meridith and Zeke likes this.
  4. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

I know I am not expert like others but since I follow him here is my humble opinion. Since ur feeding friskies now and you are already steering you could do a dose of 2.5u. If still lower.
    A little safer and give those ears a break for a bit. He didnt bounce from the 1st cycle today so maybe he wont bounce. Or he is staying lower longer before a bounce which is great.
    Or do a 2.6u dose since you can with your caliper dosing.
    A little dose change can make a big difference sometimes.
    Good luck. I am in bed soon as my boy is bouncing.

5. Meridith and Zeke

That is what I was hoping, but others was saying that the temptations would last longer which is why I mentioned giving him some of that. Really wasn't wanting to miss a shot since seems to take him a bit to recover from a skipped shot.

6. Meridith and Zeke

Yeah, was looking at in the least a BCS like that instead of full since I would much rather do that then skip. Would prefer to do full though if at all possible, just want it to be safe. Would be awesome if we finally gonna have him spending more time in the lagoon. :) Would just prefer it a little closer to the shallows then hugging the deep end!

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

That "dry food takes longer to get out" is something I hear a lot here, but I've also seen some of the other people that I trust say that's really not true and just keeps getting passed around as truth.

I think the main problem with using dry food to steer is that it takes longer to break down and get into the bloodstream......not that it takes a whole lot longer to work it's way out.

If they're running low enough that you need to steer, you want to get that glucose up quickly, not wait for it to break down and get into the bloodstream.....that's why most of us use just the gravy part of a "Gravy Lovers" food or a simple sugar like Karo/honey/syrup. The simple sugars go to work almost immediately but should be followed up with something higher carb with protein to (hopefully) keep them up

8. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

I agree. I know its takes Sprocket 1-3cycles to get the evo out of system and thats only 1tblsp too.
    Sprocket is also one that cant really do a noshot either. He will go sky high. I would rather feed higher carb or do BCS than skip too.
    I also like lagoon better than deep end too.

Although I wish a noshot was possible once in a while as 8 hrs of sleep at once is what I would love once in a while as its now been a year since I had that. 4 hr increments or less at a time. I guess he is like having a child that I dont have. Oh well. Getting uses to it.

9. Meridith and Zeke

Ok, that makes sense. We were giving him his normal HC that we give when steering, but when testing every 30 minutes for so long, starts getting harder to get them to want to eat anything. Temptations are kitty crack around here and since I knew they were even higher then what we normally give him, figured it would help him raise better and easier to get it down him. It really has been a long day around here. We even had to reschedule some dr appointments since didn't feel comfortable leaving him for several hours. So glad we didn't too since we wouldn't have been back home til probably +5.5 or so and he was already starting his dropping then.

10. Meridith and Zeke

Yep, with all the number chasing we have been doing today, I am exhausted. And I will probably be back up at 6am (almost midnight now) especially if we shoot full dose. Hopefully won't have to steer as much tomorrow though, maybe will be able to nap.

11. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

I agree. Whats a good food to get high fast yet not stay in system for days?
    My boy doesnt want to eat more canned food either sometimes.
    I have some freeze dried raw treats that I think works ok.
    Better than evo at least.

12. Meridith and Zeke

Isn't the freeze dried and evo both low/no carbs?

13. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

No the evo i got left is 8% carbs and not sure on the treats but with ingredients it looks like some carbs there, at least MC or HC.

14. Meridith and Zeke

Ah OK.

15. Meridith and Zeke

119 at preshot so doing full shot. My daughter is going to test at +1 to make sure still good, then at +3. If more needed she will do that. Hubby tests +6 and will wake me if he is going low again. Time for a little sleep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.