Zobaline?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FurBabiesMama, Dec 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. I saw Mia attempt to jump up on the bed a few days ago and not quite make it. I have been trying to decide if I am being paranoid or if that is the very first sign of some leg weakness. I have seen some of you mention giving your cats Zobaline. Is that something I should consider starting? Is there any harm in giving it if she does not actually have any issues with weakness/neuropathy but just a paranoid mama? :)

2. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

I started Monster on the GNC version of Methyl B12 just to see if it will help with overall health. GNC was the only place i found it without ordering online. Unfortunately it’s in tablet form, rather than in a gelcap.

It is a water soluble vitamin, so if the body doesn’t need it any excess with be urinated out.

JanaFuso likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

So, do you think it has helped @nmveasey ?

4. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

I just started it a couple days ago, so I have not seen a difference yet. I’m thinking I read where it takes a couple weeks to see a difference.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Juliet

Juliet Guest

It definitely helped Silver. At his worst he couldn’t stand up to eat and I had to prop his bowl up for him and put steps up to my bed so he could get up.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It can't hurt to give. If it turns out after a few months it doesn't help, it could be arthritis making it more difficult to jump.

7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Like Janet said, it won't hurt Mia to try it and whatever her body doesn't use she will just pee out ;). The reason people choose Zobaline for Methyl B-12 is because it also has folic acid which helps the B-12 absorb better. @JeffJ used 2 products so Leo would get more B-12 as Zobaline really has a small amount of B-12. Last time I tried to look up Jeff's products the Folic acid drops were out of stock so I've tagged him to see if they've come back in and so he can give you the links. I'm not home to pull up my cheat sheet with the links on it :p.

Like the sugar dance, put on some patience pants when starting Zobaline or another Methylcobalamin B-12 supplement as it can take about a month before you see signs of improvement :bighug:. I can't say from personal experience because I couldn't afford to try it for Maury's neuropathy; front paws and hind legs, so we just went the controlling BG route. In about 4 months his neuropathy started reversing and I feel safe saying by 6 months it was gone :). Keep an eye on her as well, maybe it was just a paw slip. Maury's done it a few times in his life but I always tell him "I didn't see anything" :rolleyes::cat:.

8. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it was me with the folic acid drops. But Yong is correct - the folic acid + b12 in Zobaline is the potent method of getting the best absorption of B12 into the kitteh body. There may be cheaper ways to achieve the same thing.

You probably don't want to get some standard B12 for humans. Most of it has sugar or a sugar substitute in it. I'll repeat myself from another thread. The following regenerated Leo's nerves and "got rid" of the neuropathy:
    - Zobaline B12 every day, maybe twice a day during peak usage
    - Diabetic regulation - keeping blood sugar from getting too high, and getting into the 80-120 range during nadirs

Both factors of the above equation are needed to heal the nerve damage in neuropathy.

That took Leo about 3-4 months from being barely able to climb a 2 foot couch, back to the ability to jump up 3 feet. The difference is remarkable. And to think....we had been considering the "hard decision" at the worse of his neuropathy. OMG, I am so glad we were able to heal him. Gratuitous kitteh pic of Leo with his orange bud Little Dude attached.

Attached Files:

9. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

This is the first I've seen of needing the folic acid to improve the benefit of the zobaline. Do you know if you can use regular folic acid? Do you know if there's a significant difference in the healing with folic acid combo versus without? Any further insight would be great!

10. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

11. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

12. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

Zobaline includes 200 mcg of Folic Acid in each tablet so if a person is using Zobaline they don't have to add more folic acid since it's already in there. I've read that the Methyl B12 requires Folic Acid in order to be absorbed into the system. Folic Acid also works in conjunction with the B12 to help with red blood cell production so it's important for those using B12 to treat anemia to also use a bit of Folic Acid. I actually just ordered Zobaline today since it already has the right combo of B12 & Folic Acid & I'd rather not mess around trying to mimic it by buying two different supplements (I'm lazy, LOL!).

13. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

[QUOTE="LuanneP, post: 2085877, member: I actually just ordered Zobaline today since it already has the right combo of B12 & Folic Acid & I'd rather not mess around trying to mimic it by buying two different supplements (I'm lazy, LOL!).[/QUOTE]

Curious. Will you be crushing the pills in food or pilling your cat? Vitacost has a liquid b12 but it doesn't have folic acid and while it says 0 carbs 0 sugars, it has aloe Vera juice which I don't knows if ok for sugar cats.

@JeffJ. link was helpful but somewhat contradictory since on one hand says overage will flush out; and other hand recommends plain 500mcg methyl as higher doses could have kidney impact.

I have both and it's a pain - zobaline have to crush, methyl have to open capsule and now add crushed folic. Injectable b12 apparently only avail with rx. Called local compounding pharmacy and they'll make a liquid version but only with a rx.

This would be a non issue if I could pill Myagi! Lol :):banghead::)

14. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. But that's all the info I have. For Leo, I crushed the tablets in a spice mortar/pestle kit. I also tasted them myself - zero flavor. It wasn't that hard to crush them, and I healed Leo - so that was a small price to pay.

15. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Funny! :smuggrin: tasting it was the first thing I did too! Labor of love, labor of love!

16. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I’ve tasted a variety of pet meds so I know what I’m up against before giving them. ;)

17. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

The taste of prednisolone is the worst. I know why Leo tries to spit it out!

18. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

I'll crush the Zobaline & mix it with some of his favorite food. It's easy to crush tablets with a pill crusher :)

A lot of folks on the Feline Chronic Kidney disease board use this liquid B12 but it doesn't have Folic Acid: https://www.globalhealingcenter.com...lU6dx-suyIeu_q_fog300waAoG98P8HAQ#ingredients

I guess it depends on where you live because I see a lot of people get injectable B12 without a prescription. Here are some places they order it from: Allivet.com, Valleyvet.com, lambertvetsupply.com

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  19. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

I always to do that too, LOL! And I refuse to give liquid oral meds because they are usually the most revolting tasting & we can't hide the taste of a liquid in a food treat.

20. DavesMom

DavesMom Member

Question about the Zobaline. I just ordered it online, I was curious about dosage? The bottle I ordered was 3mg x 60 tablets. I will be getting a pill crusher too to make it easier to crush up and put into his food.

21. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I'm currently using Solgar, Sublingual Methylcobalamin (Vitamin B12), 1000 mcg, 60 Nuggets which was aproduct here in New Zealand so I could order in ad it arrived in a few days . Tyler gets 1 twice daily rather than 3 because of his StageII CKD. Not wanting to place extra burden on his kidneys.

Now I am not sure if there would be folic acid. I know it has nothing harmful . Could I just add a drop of folic acid then?

22. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Zobaline: quoting myself from this thread "For Leo, I crushed the tablets in a spice mortar/pestle kit." and 1 pill per day

23. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Fyi. Myagi walked out of the closet on his hind paws today!!!! It was only about 5 steps and maybe 10 more seconds standing and looking at me before he went back to hocks. But oh was it an amazing feeling for his mommy!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: happy hugs for everyone :bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

25. PussCatPrince - GA

OMGoodness. That's so wonderful. Very very pleased for you.

26. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

Yay Myagi!!!!

27. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Go Myagi Go! Such a devastating condition, it is so rewarding to see our kittehs heal from it.

28. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Even Flagyl??? :confused: ;)

Mogs

29. PussCatPrince - GA

What amount of this would you give to a pusscat with Stage II CKD please.
    Ty's neuropathy is quite marked but I wouldn't wish to compromise his kidneys.

30. Kris & Teasel

Have never had to give that, Mogs. :smuggrin:

Critter Mom likes this.
  31. Kris & Teasel

Great news about Myagi! :)

32. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Saoirse was IRIS stage II when I treated her with Zobaline. I also gave her a phosphorus binder (AlOH) and her blood work was quite stable with this. While her blood pressure was normal I gave her 1 tablet a day (1/2 tablet in 2 meals 12 hours apart). When her BP got higher I cut back to 1/2 tablet once a day (she could not tolerate either amlodipine or benazepril for BP - severe digestive issues - so I became more conservative about the B12 supplementation).

Mogs

PussCatPrince - GA and JeffJ like this.
  33. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Hi all! Myagi still mostly on hocks but guess what he's done twice!?! Jumped from floor to window bench! Yay! Bed still too high, but he can leap across, which means he can get in the bed if wants! Yay! More happy hugs for all :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

34. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

The main component of healing neuropathy is regulation. I just re-reviewed Myagi's spreadsheet again. Up until Dec 8, the nadir readings were variable. So no regulation. Nadirs after that time look good.

It takes awhile to heal from neuropathy, but I also saw some single incidents when Leo was in the depths of it - where he was trying to jump. It's a good sign she wants to recover.

35. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Thanks Jeff! Don't forget, insulin not started till Dec 1, Zobaline Dec 7. So I'm not surprised your review didn't show regulation. Lol. My boy (He's a he - a very pretty he, but he nonetheless) definitely is actively seeking recovery! Btw, it's a comfort to me, and I'd assume others too, having you around. :bighug:

Critter Mom and JeffJ like this.
  36. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder of his insulin start. I've been on so many threads lately, I lost track. Thank you for the kudos too. I bet January will see a significant improvement with Myagi.

I'm glad to help. Many people helped me when Leo was having problems (a few times - diabetes, acromegaly, small cell lymphoma). This really is a great forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.