? 01/29 Henry AMPS 128, restart shots?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Angelaf44, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Angelaf44

Angelaf44 Member

Hi guys, me again.

I posted yesterday regarding Henry's recent numbers trending up to low blues, wondering whether I should start a drop dose. @Wendy&Neko helped me realize the upward blue trend started once he finished antibiotics for a URI (on Jan 22.)

Well the URI is back which explains his rising numbers, I didn't realize it was connected. Henry has chronic URI's due to a sinus tumour; his Vet won't prescribe a full course antibiotics all the time fearing resistance, so he's always going to have this URI present on some level.

Which begs the question - what do I do now? My Vet will give me more antibiotics but the URI will just come back again. He's to be on a maintenance dose of Azithromycin 2-3 times a week to keep the infection at bay. He was on steroids to control inflammation from the URI initially which is what caused the diabetes in the first place.

Should I restart insulin at this point to get him into greens or be content with keeping him in low blues taking his health other issues into account?

I'm home this weekend, I'm debating starting him on a drop of insulin and his maintenance antibiotics to try and find some sort of balance into green numbers. I can test as often as needed so I can catch him if he goes too low.

Thank you in advance!

2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Hi Angela, Do you have a previous post? It would be good to look back and see what was said previous - we all put the previous post into our condo's each day for continuity.

I'd restart the insulin if I were you - treat his other conditions as well and hope for the best. Diabetes isn't going to help the other issues he has and in fact can make his overall health worse if untreated.

I'm sorry to hear about his sinus tumor - is it non-operable? Some kitties are on steroids for other health issues and the insulin dose just has to be adjusted for that - not the best case scenario but in some cases, it's just all that can be done.

Please post often for support and encouragement. Your Henry is an attractive dude - sending scritches along today. :bighug:

3. Angelaf44

Angelaf44 Member

Hi! @Sue and Luci

Thanks for responding. Here are my previous posts:

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...ps-112-back-to-drop-dose.242247/#post-2729213

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...ed-some-advice-on-dosing.241545/#post-2720351

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...-could-use-some-help-with-fine-dosing.241013/

Sorry they are kind of all over the place, I have no idea what I'm doing.

It's non operable. They might be able to get it out via endoscopy- probably not the entire thing, but in chunks. I have to get a CT scan on him first. I have this all planned for the spring as here in Ontario it's going to cost me $5k+. I need to save, I can't afford it all at once.

Okay, I'll give it a go with the drop dose tonight. Thank you.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Awww...it's ok. Sorry to hear you're distressed...and I certainly understand about the cost of the procedure. It does give you pause!!

I think a little bit of insulin and testing will at least help his blood glucose to become at least not part of the problem. Sounds like the poor thing has enough on his plate to deal with.

Take care and please post again soon :) We usually post daily - or at least try to (sometimes the day gets away from me!!)...Trying to do too many things at once!

Angelaf44 likes this.
  5. Angelaf44

Angelaf44 Member

Thank you. He does have a lot of issues. I feel helpless trying to control them all.

I was all ready to start the drop dose tonight and I just checked his AMPS +8 and he's at 83. First green he's given me in 2 days. This is all so frustrating.

6. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Angela, it sounds like you have your hands full with Henry's health. Hang in there. I'm trying to get my Ruby otj and I've been told to look for numbers between 50-80 for her to achieve a strong remission. I see you're doing SLGS, but it looks like you also test enough for TR. Would you consider switching protocols so that he earns reductions for drops below 50 rather than 90?

7. Angelaf44

Angelaf44 Member

@PerfumedCatMom Hi!

I can switch to TR. Only thing is, I can't test during the day on weekdays when I'm at work. You can see on my SS, 8am-5pm is empty on weekdays.

I'm so scared to shoot green. I tested him today when I got home @ AMPS + 8 and got 83, again just now @ +10 and got 97.

Last time I gave him insulin was 01/07, his PMPS was 153. I gave him a drop (might have even been as little as needle juice) and he went down to 52 @ +3. I panicked.

Guess I just need to go ahead and do it.

8. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

We're here to support you if you need your hand held. I know I appreciate it! I see what you mean about your schedule, but it looks like you're good about getting a +10. Has anyone shared with you this thread about doing TR with a full time job?

I see you're feeding some pretty low carb food. Could you get an autofeeder so that you can put some higher percentage LC or MC into it at +2 and +4 or +3 and +5 for when you go to work? It might give you peace of mind to keep Henry safe while you are working. I find feeding smaller meals before +6 helps with the big drops, as Ruby tends to drop early.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  9. Angelaf44

Angelaf44 Member

I will read that thread, thank you. He can be fed multiple times a day, that's not an issue. My mom lives with me and is home all day. She had a stroke 2 years ago and is paralyzed on her right side. She can manage feedings, but not taking BG without the use of both hands. She can always call me if he goes hypo but obviously I'd rather not get to the point where I'm rushing him to emergency.

I'm going to start tomorrow morning I think. He's decided to throw greens at me tonight and I missed shooting at his PMPS. Thank you for all your help.

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good luck with the drop dose tomorrow.

Angelaf44 likes this.